RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Slow stick Forum!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/7214765-slow-stick-forum.html)

ZRAT 03-22-2009 08:06 PM

RE: Slow stick Forum!!

1 Attachment(s)
Bob - Flat wing is ready to go sans flat bottom, forgot to get the foam and my hands were full, I used some glass impregnated nylon I had laying around and fed it through the screw holes on the servos, just wanted a little more surface area to glue to without covering the servo case w/ CA. I'll let you know how it flies once the weather will cooperate, I'm still avoiding winds above 5mph, between rain storms it's gusting over 15, might get a chance tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Teenage pilot - I'm trying the flat wing as is then will add the flat bottom's, will post pic's when I add that mod.

Wing build pic's:

ZRAT 03-22-2009 08:16 PM

Other notables on the wing build:
Added .9mmx3.1mm flat carbon strips stuck into the ailerons for rigidity, CA'd in place.
Spars - Used the glass ones in the box for LE/TE and a hollow carbon tube in the middle on the under side of the wing, epoxied in place.
Used ~1.5oz each of 5 min epoxy resin/hardener and filled the center of the wing insted of cutting it out, probably didn't do anything but add weight but this thing is pretty stiff, took it out in the wind and waved it around as hard as I could, not much flex and she ain't going to fold!!!:D

BobSkyFlynjunky 03-22-2009 08:47 PM

zrat, with the 2100 bats I can get 30 mins with half doing manuvers and half throttle managment. I have 2 2100 20c 3 cells and one 2100 15c 2 cell. I get 20 to 25 mins on the 2 cell using throttle management. Yesterday I took the cut wing SS out in the morning in a dead still field and flew it 3 times at 10 min sessions. That was with one 3 cell batt. Did loops touch and goes, and even a sloppy roll.
Your right, that is a motor mount on that outrunner. It's a simple half inch strip of alum shaped to fit the motor and fit the SS fus. It works really good, I was suprised myself when I got that, it's so simple.
I use a 3 degree down and to the right on all outrunners and never had an out of control plane since I've been doing that. I am building an E-Starter now and it comes stock with the 3 deg down and to the right. Hope to fly it by next weekend.
Hope this helps.

tam popo 03-23-2009 07:15 AM

ZRat - I'd go with what Bobsky says for degrees right and down - its just that I have changed my wing mounts. Each SS has the same height of mount, one SS high and one low. Experiment. I can change the degrees later but OK for now.

tam popo 03-23-2009 07:17 AM

I'll post pics of my flat bottomed wing. The underside covering is the sticky stuff your Mom probably lined her kitchen drawers with way back when!!!!!

ZRAT 03-23-2009 08:22 AM

Tam any noticable difference in flight characteristics with the flat bottom wing?

Teenage Pilot 14 03-23-2009 04:22 PM

Last night I received a terrible shock involving my Stick. I discovered that my pushrods aren't the only things that are shrinking. When I first built the plane the span was what, about 46"? Well, now it's down to [X(][X(][X(]32.5"[X(][X(][X(]. I think that somewhat explains how I manage to reach 50+mph without trouble. Now I need to go to my hobby shop and see if they have any "no power system" ones in any color except yellow, which happens to be the ONLY color they have, except for one brushless brown one for $60[:@]. I have to see what kind of performance a stock Stick gets on my power system (I've been going mostly off rough calculations to share my specs; I just discovered those calculations are way off. 125W? More like 300 [X(][>:])Ithink it's time to re-share my planein its current form.

My Slow Stick As It Stands Now:

280W 1900kv motor
Unknown ESC, but it can handle the motor without warming up at all...
3S 1200mAh lipo, 18C discharge
JR S400 4CH radio
RS6UL receiver
2x SM-15 servos
GWS 9x7 slo-flyer prop (orange, if anyone really cares)
Highly clipped 32" wing
New pilot; now carries a BIG sword

I found my motor exactly at my hobby shop and looked at the little spec sheet and it said 1900kv and 280W. Until now I've been going off what it said in the manual that came with the RTF the motor came from. I'm using that ESC, too. Those dummies also happen to be the ones who called the model a car throughout the manual and said the batt was an 8-cell Ni-mg (It was really a 3S lipo). Nickel-magnesium? I don't think so.....

When the wind calms down a bit I'm gonna put in some aileron servos and see how that goes (second try). Any advice on that? My first attempt, as well as my pre-first attempt(;)) both failed miserably....

ZRAT 03-23-2009 09:59 PM

Check the wing build pic's on page 19 of this thread. Fly it like a three channel then start playing w/ the ailerons, after about 100Hrs on the SIM (Real flight G4) I've got in the habit of using both rudder and ailerons combined, still not that good in the field. I used the BLT park flier on the SIM and edited it so it's set up like my SS, wing length, throws, ailerons, motor/battery, everything, it really helps. Sounds like you have REAL stick time so if you don't have the SIM I'd save your money for more planes/parts:D!

Zach

tam popo 03-24-2009 05:55 AM

ZRat - the clipped flat-bottomed wing does make a difference. It turns very easily as though it had ailerons!! And I'm not scared shoeless to launch in winds slightly over 10mph....difficult to fly but not impossible.

Teenage Pilot 14 03-24-2009 07:07 PM

Zach- My wing has survived over two years, and the Stick was my first plane. It's certainly on its last summer and if I tried to add ailerons now I fear I'd just kill it. I've already covered the whole underside of the wing with duct tape for strength. Not much extra weight and it holds together much better. It looks like I'm gonna need a whole new Slow Stick for ailerons. Darn! Another plane! Oh well... And yes, I've got lots and lots of stick time under my neckstrap. Ailerons won't be any challenge for me to handle on this nice (relatively) slow plane ;)

Tam- I hear you on the wind thing. I've had some bad rain and worse wind over here but does it stop me from flying? I actually use the windto my advantage when flying in small spaces (front yard). I use loads of power one way into the wind for altitude and then chop the throttle and glide back the other way. The turns are tricky but no major problems yet....

I'm foolish. When I built the plane I put the control horns on backwards so when I gave it any right rudder input beyond about 50% the rudder would kind of "pop" over about 2 inches and the pushrod would bend until I moved the stick back. The elevator also did that but not so much. Last night I was just fooling around with it and I moved the servos back so the pushrods are much, much shorter (~6"). That way they flex less and control improves. I replaced the control horns with stronger ones and placed them very, very, very close to the edges of the surfaces and WHOA!!!! I'm getting about 85* of deflection on my rudder and perhaps 70 on the elevator. Can't test it yet because it's raining but hopefully I'll have an opportunity soon:eek:

BarryReade 03-27-2009 11:51 PM

My last really active post on this thread was on 2/14 and a lot has happened since then. I am back in California and this is my newest SS.
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...51_Bh7Vi-L.jpg
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...57_gy3nG-L.jpg
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...38_WLqPK-L.jpg
We have at least seven SS in the air at one time. These guys fly everything and when they want to kick back and take it easy then the SS come out. I painted the current color skeme as we have five out of the seven planes up at one time will be red. Several have gone in from losing ones plane and watching another one thinking it's yours. Funny as all get out. Anyway this one has a steerable tail wheel, Out runner motor, X Gear, vert. stab is centered, and I can't remember what else. Tomorrow I will be flying it with my other two Elec planes. A mini Ultra Stick and Yak 54E 47" that motor is pulling 611 watts on a 14X7 prop and 4s 2350 Lipo.
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...72_xruWq-L.jpg
http://greyghost.smugmug.com/photos/...93_yLEoa-L.jpg
I really like my electrics but i am going back into glow so I can pylon race.

ZRAT 03-28-2009 09:54 AM

Marauderer - Nice SS! What do you think of the Xgear? Did you get the carbon fuse?

BarryReade 03-28-2009 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: ZRAT

Marauderer - Nice SS! What do you think of the Xgear? Did you get the carbon fuse?
Thanks, The Xgear is very controversial in our group. The problem has been the wheels woodn't track properly and would fold so to speak on landing. Three of us have them. This is my second one and it has had some problems in the past but, after you assemble it I have found that you need a drop of thick Ca where the CF rods enter the brakets followed immediately with accelerator before the CA wicks into the joint and that works great. If you use regular Ca it will wick into the joing and when the CF rods break from a bad landing they can't be drilled out easily and I lost a gear that way.

I shot at least 20 T&G's today and takeoff where long and slow. The gear was a pleasure and with the steerable tail wheel it was really trick. The only down side today was the hinge tape didn't want to stick to the paint so I have to redo the bottom of the elevator and I have a bit of interference on the two clevises that join on the bellcrank for the steerable tail wheel. Great Flier

ZRAT 03-28-2009 01:55 PM

I really want to try the Xgear fuse set w/ steerable tail whell, both my SS's have home made, I took four planes out this AM and got a good hour and a half of stick time, it was awesome. The flat bottom wing/brushless SS with ailerons is a riot, loops at full throttle so tight it looked more like a end over end tumble. Axial rolls are out, but did roll really well other than that, flies upside down as well as right side up. The kid's playing softball couldn't keep there eye's on the ball with the plane in the air. Tried my foamie Zero warbird, it's a dog w/ 9x3.8 prop and so twitchy I parked it. Got the modified Diablo up for it's maiden, actually flies much better than I hoped for given all the bad rap on the thread. Also maidened my ElectroStick, it's just like the flat bottom wing SS only much faster and more responsive. Kept giong back to the SS though, still can get the smile off my face. Hope the weather holds, batteries are charging...:D:D:D

tam popo 03-30-2009 06:06 AM

Teen Pilot 14 - I learned a year ago that rods bend, hence mine also are only 6-8in long, and all bolts have fuse wire wrapped around them to stop them coming undone!!!!

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 03-30-2009 10:14 PM

TP, it sounds like your good. Unless you have a different bird, with 3s brushless power you will need about 20' to get airborne. Then be gentle, or not[X(]

ZRAI, I have an SSX with Xgear. I think a steerable tail wheel is pointless. The tail will drag and the plane will launch..

And I could be totally wrong, my X-Gear on my SSX functions perfectly. But it would need to be a nose wheel to make the extra weight rational A bit of power and rudder will turn the tail on the ground.

Tim

ZRAT 04-04-2009 07:52 PM

Bob - Took the flat wing SS out in the wind for the first time today, 0-10MPH and gusting from different directions, mangled the landing gear and broke a prop, I DIDN"T CHECK AILERONS for operation before takeoff....the walk of shame is humbling to say the least. My point is, I had swapped out the Y-harness last week and had one of the servo leads plugged in backward, the Eflight connectors aren't keyed. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that in case you opt to run dual aileron servos. I had a 10x4.7 on the GWS brushless and it got quite hot in under three min of flying, half to WOT but it had gob's of power, swapped back to the 9x4.7 and the motor ran cool to the touch through two 11.1/1250mAh packs, ~30min playing in the wind. Got it to hold w/ zero ground speed about 40' off the ground facing into the wind. I decided 100Watts on the stock brushless isn't enough so I picked up a Common Sense RC #E5-L-13 1300KV motor and a Common Sense RC Z-35 ESC, this might just snap a wing, my plane weighs in at 22oz with the stock motor and 1250 Lipo air ready, this new combo says it's good for 227 Watts and 29oz of thrust w/ an 8x6E or 255 watts and 42oz of thrust with a 10x5E, hope it goes vertical like an estes rocket...:D:D:D

My homebuilt didn't survive it's maiden, should have waited for a calmer day, but patience isn't one of my virtues, now that I have the servo reversing set, a couple oz of epoxy and some tape and she'll be ready for another go, found a link on cutting foam with a hot wire, used a sheet of 2" depron from Lowe's, cut all my own parts including a clark Y wing, I'll post a pic when it's air worthy again.

BarryReade 04-04-2009 08:08 PM

I am back in Atlanta temporarily and left all, the plane stuff in Palmdale. My new SS went in twice last sunday and it was the Spextrum AR6100 receiver. The one stub antenna was only being held on by about two strands so it wasn't getting the signal. The good news is the SS is Ok just a little wing tip rash on the left and a broken prop. I should be getting it back about thye 15th of this month so I will be ready to fly. The steerable tail gear is way cool and allows you to do donuts on the ground if you want to

ZRAT 04-04-2009 10:18 PM

Sorry to hear about the receiver, I've had good luck so far, two 6100's, a 6100e and an AR7000. I agree with Ferndale AFB that the tails wheel isn't necessary but I added mine for cool factor and it's easy to taxi around, got a little wing tip rash today doing the afore mentioned doughnuts though...Zach

BarryReade 04-04-2009 10:36 PM

Well, I have been flying the my 6100 a lot it the last 6 mo. also my 6000 and my 3 7000. The 6100 is the only one I have had a problem with.

skyhawk73 04-05-2009 10:28 PM

I notice my range is getting short. Could my old (4 year old) GWS reciever be going bad. Even the range check seems short.
Now, my old Slow Stick setup flys fine as long as I stay in close. What reciever should I get to enjoy full range while staying light.?

BarryReade 04-05-2009 10:38 PM

What radio are you flying that receiver with. Four years is a long time. How many crashes. It sounds like you should either send it in for repair or replace it with the same thing. SH73 I see you are from Morgan City, my son works out of Morgan City, he is a commercial diver.

skyhawk73 04-06-2009 06:33 AM

Several crashes including dunks in the bayou. Both of my SS's are four years old and both are flying fine as long as I stay close. (Futaba transmitters)
I fly over the bayou, then land in the yard unless (you know what). The receiver is wrapped with Sam's stretch wrap and usually works fine even after ditched.

It just seems park flyer receivers don't have the range that my glow planes have. I was wondering if there is a small, light receiver out there that might give my SS more range. Obviously, its time for receiver replacement. Anyway, I thought a receiver would either work or not,- this lessened range is not the symptom I expected from an aged receiver.

Morgan City still enjoys activity in the oil field services, especially in the commercial diving sector. We have a few divers and even full size helicoptor pilots in our RC club.

tam popo 04-06-2009 06:42 AM

Skyhawk - try a real range check. If you are alone take a pair of binoculars and the plane out. Tie a strip of bright ribbon toe the rudder and elevator theen walk away with TX and binoculars. Look at th ribbon while operating the TX and see if the ribbon moves - will give you an ide of range.

Teenage Pilot 14 04-12-2009 10:15 PM

Skyhawk- I've been having great luck with my JR RS6UL micro 6ch. I had my Stick at about 400' up yesterday (can't legally go higher due to airport regulations) and a few hundred yards out with no noticeable trouble aside from winds present across the altitude spectrum.

Tam- I use hot glue on my bolts to hold them in nice and secure. It breaks free when you turn the screw but holds it in perfectly.

Well, I'd like a moment of silence for my good ole 1850kv outrunner. It served me and my Stick for more than 100 flights spanning a over a year and it's finally resting in peace. No major crash or anything but it just doesn't run well anymore. Lots of vibrations, sketchy power, and occasional big drops in RPMs make me scared to fly with it anymore. not to worry, though- I got a new Suppo BL2217-6 as a replacement. 1500kv and enough torque and thrust to satisfy my high standards. Tim, gentle isn't in my vocabulary anymore. I'm probably gonna run this Stick to its death this summer on my new power system. After a solid 10 minutes of hard flying in hard wind today nothing was hot enough to raise any warning flags. I've been taking off across the WIDTH of a normal-sized sidewalk into light breeze without trouble. Almost VTOL, and I'm still working on that one[X(].

Speed isn't quite as crazy anymore but that could be due to a large number of things, one being a mysterious rudder issue probably due to the increased torque of the new motor. Even with full right trim I need to hold a bit of right rudder in flight to stay straight. That's adding drag and messing things up a bit.

One last thing: I'm thinking about a warbird. Could someone point me to a nice one that's not gonna cost a ton? I've been thinking GWS; can anyone offer any advice or tips on my selection? Has to be foam because I want to paint it every other week.