RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Wingo Recommendations (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/742416-wingo-recommendations.html)

mchastain 05-04-2003 01:44 AM

Wingo Recommendations

I am currently building my first aircraft and have a few questions to ask those in the know.

The specs:

"Wingo" (from Hobby-Lobby)
Hitec Focus 3 with 2 - HS-81 servos

I still have a few things to purchase for the kit like a Motor Speed Controller, Battery, and charger. Does anyone have any recommendations for these items?

A few post I have read say that a high capacity battery and gearbox would really improve the performance.

Also, the plane came with a 6v motor. Is there any problem running it up to 9.6v (8 cell)?

Dr Kiwi 05-04-2003 02:56 AM

Wingo

Hi mchastain - for a speed controller you cannot do better than a Castle Creations Pixie 20 (slight overkill for this plane but it will serve you well in the future). For battery packs why not go to 7-cell KAN950 NiMH - same size and weight as the recommended 7-cell 600 NiCd but just as good current draw and better endurance. For a charger the Great Planes Triton and the FMA Super Nova 250S are excellent, versatile and not inordinately expensive [c.$130] for something which will serve your every need for years.

Certainly a gearbox would significantly improve the "thrust" you could obtain, at a reduced amp draw too! The direct drive 400 with a 6" prop is woefully wimpy for a 20oz Wingo - you would have to push it to about 10amps to get the 10oz thrust a plane of that weight needs. I've flown a standard Wingo but I can't remember how big a prop would clear the fuselage - if you could go to say a 3:1 gearbox and a 10x7 prop you could up your thrust to 13oz or so at less than 8 amps. You need to ask someone who's done it what sort of gearbox can be fitted to the Wingo without major surgery! Certainly an all-metal MPI ACC 345 gearbox should work since the motor can could be held on exactly the way the original is.

I wouldn't go to 8-cells right away with a 6V 400 - but if you find your current draw with the gearbox fitted is low enough, then you might get away with the full 9.6V. - as Dave Robelen has pointed out, it's the "amps" more than the "volts" which fry motors.

Cheers, Phil

mchastain 05-05-2003 03:58 AM

Wingo Recommendations

Thank you for your recommendations Dr Kiwi! I am researching everything you gave me. Since I haven't flown it yet, I will probably go with the everything minus the gearbox (I have nothing to compare to, too much performance may be a bad thing for my first time)

MC

darenm 05-05-2003 08:48 AM

Wingo Recommendations

i would suggest you get the gearbox. improve your flight time and climb out rate. the gearbox gives your allot more power. climb up to alltitude teice as fast then cut power and cruise around.

Dr Kiwi 05-05-2003 12:13 PM

Gearbox

Hi MC - I agree with what Daren says! It will make your first flights much easier, since trying get an underpowered plane to fly is a bit like learning to swim in molasses - a struggle!
Cheers, Phil

3 Channel Brain 05-05-2003 12:48 PM

wingo

had a Wingo wih a simular setup-fun but very fragile. recommend a couple of popcycle sticks in or outside the front cockpit floor. best flown over tall grass for longer life.

mchastain 05-05-2003 08:54 PM

Wingo Recommendations

Would anyone here have any advice on the assembly of the main wing of a Wingo? The instructions call for the wing ends to be taped on ( I guess for easy removal)

What do most people do? I'd rather glue them on.

Dr Kiwi 05-06-2003 03:00 AM

Charger

This may now be redundant, since you may already have purchased a SuperNova [an excellent product], but I have just realized that the Great Planes Triton has one advantage over it - the Triton can deal with Li-ion and Li-poly batteries, and since these seem to be the wave of the future, particularly if you want to get into really small planes, you might be a bit better off with the Triton than with the SuperNova.

Just a thought, Cheers, Phil

mchastain 05-06-2003 03:52 PM

Wingo Recommendations

You caught me in time... I had the SuperNova on my list but I'll be looking at the Triton now.

Thanks!