RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   anybody flying Ultrafly FW 190 ? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/8163568-anybody-flying-ultrafly-fw-190-a.html)

skrez 11-19-2008 05:13 PM

anybody flying Ultrafly FW 190 ?

Hi Guys,
Just ordered one today from hobbyPeople, good deal 99.99 shipped to my house. There has been very few posts, but the few I read were all great. I plan on using The e-flite BL 10 outrunner and 3S lipos for power. I`llleave the gear off and hand lunch since I fly from grass.
Regards,
Frank

bleary 11-22-2008 02:54 AM

RE: anybody flying Ultrafly FW 190 ?

I have one,it fly's great.I am using the stock brushless motor that came with it and using the gear.It could use more power though and as one who has used the power 10 in a Brio,I reckon that would be great.You may well need to make up standoffs to get the motor well forward so that you can clear the cowl with the prop as the Ultrafly motor has a overlength prop adaptor to get the prop out far enough...the ultrafly runs hot and is a bit of a wobbler as well so I reckon the Eflight motor is a good option.(prop wobble from untrue shaft/adaptor) Also be aware that there is not much room for battery placement so a heavier motor may cause balance issues...this plane really needs a top hatch....may even cut one in eventually.Also try a Parkzone FW190 spinner,really looks the business!
Saying all that though,she is a lovely flyer,hope you have fun with her.
Bleary.

rgofast 12-25-2008 02:43 PM

My Ultrafly F/12/10, only 2 screw holes line up on motor mount! I guess thats why they only included 2-3x3mm screws. What did you guys do? I'm thinking drill out and use washers? thanks Rick

skrez 12-26-2008 12:23 PM

Rick,
That would work , elongate the holes and add washers. I used an e-flite 10 outrunner, so I did not have that problem.
Frank

odieyodie 12-29-2008 03:28 AM

:DJust got mine from Hobby People as well. First impression when I opened the box was WOW. It looks great and low parts count. Can't wait to get started as well. I plan on using a rimfire 35-30-1450 with a 2200 mah 3s lipo. The weight of the motor seems about right and the rpms are close. Has anyone had any luck putting a pilot figure in the cockpit?

skrez 03-22-2009 11:34 AM

Hi Guys,
FYI I just maidined my 190 today and she is a very good flyer. A couple clicks of down elv. and she flew hands off. At full thottle she flys pretty fast . I took the landing gear off and she floats in for a belly landing . With the power sytem I`m using, mixed flying gets me 8-10 minutes.
Regards,
Frank

Swapadog 03-24-2009 12:30 PM

I'm copying and pasting a quote "this FW190 can actually perform most 3d manoeuvres should you wish to try them"

Does anybody know how true that is and what 3D you can do with it, I mainly fly 3D and whilst not very scale to have a warbird you could do it with would be really cooeeel

donaldtay 04-01-2009 05:59 AM

I have one coming this week and will post my experience. I need to order a motor from hobbycity. Any recommendations for one that will fit w/o a lot of mods?

Swapadog 04-01-2009 07:44 AM

I haven't built one so not sure in terms of the fit but can't imagine it would be that different but the Turnigy 35-30C would probably give good scale flying and the 35-36C blistering 3D perfomance.

1320Fastback 04-01-2009 07:54 AM

I built mine and am still waiting on batteries before I can maiden it. I got my motor and ESC from HeadsUpRC.com, he has really reasonable prices and great shipping.

donaldtay 04-01-2009 07:55 AM

Swap,
If you read the post on RCusergroup.com about this plane, it has a long distance from the motor mount to the front of the cowl. Many have had to find longer screws and use spacers to get the prop out in front of the cowl. I was trying to avoid that problem but it can be overcome Thanks for your reply and I will let you know what I choose and how the install goes.
Don

donaldtay 04-01-2009 07:57 AM

Fastback,
What motor did you get from headsup?

1320Fastback 04-01-2009 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the Power Up 480 Plus and the Power UP 40A ESC with Switch BEC. Max thrust is 55oz although I will prop down quite a bit for this plane.

You can also see how I spaced the motor out with 2 layers of 1/8" lite-ply and also used 1/2" screws although could of used 3/8" long.

skrez 04-03-2009 10:23 AM

Hi Guys,
I like the e-flite products, more expensive but very relieable. I`m using the E-flite BL 10 motor, 40a esc. and TP 3s 2200 mah . I can go scarey fast, but crawel in for a belly landing with this set-up.
Frank

1320Fastback 04-17-2009 02:46 PM

Maiden!!!!Success!!

Was flying my Cub today and also brought along the Fw190 for some more ground test. Well after going thru 2 batteries with the cub I got the FW out and was taxing it around, with the re-bent gear it does work a lot better.

So there I am going high speed down the road, the tail is in the air and I am thinking to myself that there's nothing left to check. The CG is perfect, the expo is set, the dual rates are set, the gear works better, and I got two fresh batteries.

Knees shaking I push up the throttle a little more to around 5/8% and pull back on the stick, she lifts off straight and true. Fly a quick circuit and head back into the wind which is maybe 3mph at most. She needs just a smidgen of left aileron trim and she is flying perfect.

I did find out that turning off the DR works best for my style of flying, with the DR on it is a very relaxing but they would work for landing although I didn't use them except for the first take off.

The landings are a lot different than my cub, I have been practicing no flap power on landing with the cub for a few weeks now getting ready for this plane and I know it helped a lot. During the first flight I checked the stall charastics and found that she does slow down real nice and drops the nose before a wing but she doesn't fly as slow as the cub can and would say that a fast Super Cub landing is probably just about the same speed as the FW so it was a non issue.

The second landing I did get a bounce off the left gear and she went up a few feet but then landed smooth, I think it was my fault and will see how the next few batteries go.