RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/8780849-parkzone-new-brushless-yes-p-51-mustang-rtf-bnf.html)

Viragored 02-08-2010 11:49 PM

RE: Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Hi Chetterb - you may have picked up from other posts that I'm using Hyperion 1600 mAh 25C batteries, and find them pretty good. I've sort of worked out that if I fly ten minutes or just over, the re-charge time is going to be between 35 and 50 minutes, but if I fly as much as twelve minutes, I'm going to spend anything up to an hour and a quarter waiting for the battery to be full again. So I've decided to keep flights down to around eight to ten minutes, and get twice as many flights in a session. Works for me, and of course, your mileage may differ ;)

Enjoy the good weather!
Dave

mad web tv scientist 02-09-2010 05:21 PM

:) Chetterb & Dave, thank you for your very kind and informative posts. With all the other good material on this thread it seems to be very well on its way to becoming a priceless informational and inspirational modeling resource - very appropriate tribute to the world's greatest fighter of all time!

That said, yesterday, I ran into a somewhat unnerving phenomena. After what is becoming a traditional opening act in my flying demonstration programs, with the GUNFIGHTER opening the festivities with practicing, trimming, and testing procedures, etc., on the next flight using the PZ 109, suddenly it failed to respond to throttle up commands from zero to full power while passing overhead after a maximum performance climb to altitude. After a brief moment of terror, I realized that aerodynamic control seemed to be normal. Instead of slamming in full throttle again like I had just done before throttle control failure, instead the throttle lever was gingerly pushed up and responded as if there was no problem at all. I landed, everything checked out normal, no more problems the rest of the day.

QUESTION - what could have caused the throttle command failure? I got'sta know, please. I speculate that it was that foolish rude quick full throttle command from zero power setting that may have caused a voltage spike that triggered a "glitch." Please let me know the most likely answer. Yes, the ship is equipped with a voltage protector.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! The 51 and the 109 are now easily as good as the PZ Spitfire for landing missions on water saturated battle fields. Batteries and ESCs become only slightly warm after combat war emergency throttle flying in cool weather with tape over those water and mud scooping air scoops during emergency belly landings. I have included an extra ventilation hole through the firewalls of my 109s that don't seem to be needed on the Mustang.

Until next time . . . nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, . . .

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Flying Fast 02-12-2010 01:26 PM

Love these brushless P-51's!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

Viragored 02-12-2010 06:09 PM

Hi Mad, I'm probably going to be no use at all here ... I've no real idea why the throttle wouldn't work when you wanted it to! Could the battery voltage have got down to the point where the ESC won't feed the motor, but keeps the controls working? I beleive that some ESCs allow a short recovery period before feeding the motor a bit more power, after which there is no more power available for the motor. If you flew the same battery again without a recharge, you'd be able to eliminate that as a possibility.

Or do you get radio interference problems out your way?

End of 'wisdom' [:o]

mad web tv scientist 02-13-2010 12:36 AM

Viragored [8D], your post helped me realize that I left out some details that might be useful to figure out just what happened.

The no flaps/landing gear PZ Bf-109G was equipped with a 3 cell 15c 2200mAh LiPo that had been peak charged to 12.5 volts. The pristine condition, never crashed stock airplane had just been hand launched and flown at full throttle in a maximum performance climb to around 400 - 500 feet. I was rather pleased with myself thinking that I am finally beginning to get the hang of how to look like I know what I am doing. I leveled out and chopped the throttle. Impulsively, I slammed in full throttle. This is when my overconfidence was shattered. Unless proven otherwise, I will continue to suspect that the very bad practice of throttling up quickly was to blame. I landed almost immediately and found that, as usual, the ESC and battery were only barely warm and, thankfully, no smoke.

I totaled my first SPAD by torque rolling it into the ground on a windy day when the ship was dropping frightening fast while flying the down wind leg of my landing approach. You would think I would have learned to use throttle control with a little more finesse by now.

For the record, I also tore the landing gear off my Sopwith Camel due to a torque roll caused take off crash caused by throttling up too fast without using rudder to counter torque force. I damaged the motor on a take off crash with my landing gear/flapped equipped 109, and I am not even going to try to fly my crashing DR-1 Triplane again until I develop a whole lot more confidence than I have now. I suspect the eleven (11) inch prop that I was using was the main factor that I have since corrected. If everything else fails follow the destructions!

Thanks for your inspirational input. I promise to keep trying to be a better pilot, come what may!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

mad web tv scientist 02-28-2010 12:20 AM

;) BATTERY REPORT

The GUNFIGHTER put up two (2) nice maximum performance climbs from hand launch into an 8 mph wind and climbed at around an 85 degree angle up to a comfortable maximum altitude of around 500 feet powered by 800mAh 25C batteries. The light little batteries ran for 3.5-4 minutes with a lot of full throttle. This brought their voltage down to 11.3-11.5 volts - great vertical performance. I will save these batteries for the WWI machines and use the larger batteries for WWII stuff.

Couldn't resist trying my final new little 800mAh battery on the 109. It was noticeably slower on its way up to 500 feet altitude. After throttling back, the motor quit and refused run on that little battery. I landed, played with the throttle for a while, and finally installed my new 1200mAh 30C LiPo and enjoyed vertical performance with the 109 similar to what the P-51 had demonstrated earlier using the 800mAh batteries. I got the 109 to run on the little battery at home but the motor was protesting by unsteady running and inconsistent start up behavior. I had to set the throttle wide open a few times on start up to get it to work. The Me finally settled down and performs normally now.

Happy flying everybody.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

DenverJayhawk 03-01-2010 06:21 PM

I just ordered a Gunfighter from Horizon. I can't wait to try it with my recently acquired DX6i.

frank99 03-02-2010 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
got a use one with some flak damage,put servos in last night and motor coming from hobby city, hope i can handle this bird . thanks frank

mad web tv scientist 03-03-2010 04:09 PM

[8D] Denver, congrats on the purchase of your new weapon. Having recently learned about the DX6i, I will be purchasing one myself, and at some later time I will have to buy a DX7 also.

I added white invasion stripes beside the stock black ones on the bottom of my GUNFIGHTER in order to recognize the bottom better under low visibility conditions. Last time out disorientation bugged me some while flying the 51 and the 109 as well. I can't do anything about the Messerschmitt without messing up its appearance, but the Mustang looks great with its extra stripes.

I am sort of hoping something like the unsung hero of WWII advanced "air superiority P-47 Thunderbolt shiny aluminum finish" with invasion stripes on the bottom side will be marketed by PZ for some of us visually challenged modelers. Something like this would be great for those marginal flying conditions CAP missions.

Frank, watch out for flack!

Over and out.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

mad web tv scientist 03-05-2010 05:12 PM

:) VISIBILITY AND BATTERY TESTS REPORT

Added two (2) more black invasion stripes on the bottom of the GUNFIGHTER last night after yesterday's flying and range visibility tests.

The best maximum climb performance from hand launch to 500 feet was performed using a 1200mAh 30C 3 cell LiPo. The stock P-51 battery was only slightly down on power compared to the 30C battery and the slight flaw near the top of the climb path could very well have been due to my piloting "skill" (?). As a final test, a 2200mAh 15C LiPo was tried. Although the climb path was okay and the ship can perform all of the maneuvers I will ever need to fly, I just don't like the noticeably more sluggish performance with all that extra battery weight.

I counted 100 good steps (300 feet) from the bottom side of the P-51. The white invasion stripes were nearly invisible. The black stripes weren't too bad. Another 33 steps (400 ft) and the black stripes were barely visible. At altitude (500 ft plus) - no stripes visible! So, the moral of the story is that I must practice flying more at around 300 feet even with invasion stripes if I really expect to see the plane like I believe it must be seen for more accurate maneuvering.

Batteries are charged, flyguy expects me at the park, gotta run.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

oregonflyguy58 03-06-2010 01:21 AM

Hey Mad had fun flying with you today and I already have that mustang all back together put a battery in and tested everything and its all systems go!

blkz2801 03-06-2010 07:36 AM

i hit a tree today with my P51. It broke the motor and esc part of the nose cone off. Does anyone have and suggestions on how to repair it? what kind of CA?

Viragored 03-06-2010 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: blkz2801

i hit a tree today with my P51. It broke the motor and esc part of the nose cone off. Does anyone have and suggestions on how to repair it? what kind of CA?
I tried using foam-safe medium CA to repair mine when it piled into the ground. The fuse had split near the front of the hatch, as well as several other bits of damage. All seemed well at first, but the joins failed. I wondered why the model wouldn't flly straight after a couple of flights and found the fuse was no longer straight! The CA seemed to have formed a hard, rough surface along the joint, but hadn't really stuck properly and was steadily letting go.

For the next repair I went back to Gorilla Glue, which is sold for woodworking but works well on foam. Gorilla is an expanding adhesive that cures by absorbing moisture from the air, so it takes several hours to set. I usually leave mine to set overnight. The repair will be strong, and on other foam models that I have crashed, the Gorilla bond is stronger than the foam - the next splits occur somewhere other than the first repair!

If you use that type of glue, you need to plan ahead a bit and guess where the glue will expand to and contain it with adhesive tape. You will also need to strap up the joint while the glue sets, so that the expanding adhesive doesn't push the surfaces apart but instead expands into the cell structure and gets a good grip. A good tip is to use just enough glue to fill the joint, but not so much that it spills outside and has to be trimmed off (which I find hard) or snapped off (which takes bits of the outside decoration and surface with it).

The photo shows the repair - the compression stress marks in the foam from the crash are visible, but it's hard to see the join even close up.

Hope that helps, Dave

mad web tv scientist 03-06-2010 05:33 PM

:D flyguy, thanks for your post! Your dedication is inspirational! Got four batteries peak charged, have recovered from yesterday's combat fatigue, and will either be flying the fighters we flew yesterday at Greer park or whatever you would like for me to bring to fly at your R/C site.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Attaboy Dave, You are definitely the "go to guy" when it comes to great Gorilla repairs. Being spoiled and a bit set in my chronologically challenged ways I just love to use carbon fiber tow, ordinary baking soda and thin CA instant glue. After smoothing everything down I finished up with aluminum paint. My repair looks almost as good as yours. Your pictures come up really well on my obsolete web tv system, by the way, thanks for sharing.

WHAT A HOBBY! (actually, it's really much more than a mere hobby)

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

blkz2801 03-07-2010 03:00 AM

Vir, Thanks alot for your post. I bought some gorilla glue yesterday and im gonna try it thanks!

Viragored 03-07-2010 03:11 AM

It's messy stuff - watch out for your fingers!

oregonflyguy58 03-08-2010 12:22 AM

Here is a question... I have the RTF version of the Parkzone P- 51 and was wondering if I purchase the Spektrum AR500 5-channel DSM2 receiver and put it in the mustang but use the original servos and use the Spektrum DX5e transmitter that came with the Parkzone Corsair to bind with it to fly.

mad web tv scientist 03-08-2010 02:36 AM

[8D] flyguy, absolutely yes. Give me a call if there are any questions.

By the way, you will never believe what happened after my first fighter sweep with the GUNFIGHTER Saturday. The wind shifted 90 degrees from the last time I checked it - mistake number one. Descending for landing there was a failure to concentrate properly on the ground and the plane - mistake number 2. Wham!

Never before has my wing ever popped out of its pegged support in the back like yours did during Friday's air disaster with your Mustang. Obviously, a wing caught the plowed ground at an embarrassingly high rate of speed for that to happen. I popped it back in and the second flight went off without a hitch. My new invasion stripes look great in the sunlight.

I put up two more flights flying the 109. My last long flight had me landing in bad enough light conditions that I blamed my poor landing on that rather than my skill.

We must get together to fly and fight again when the weather clears.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

-pkh- 03-09-2010 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: blkz2801

You can use regular CA glue on the Gunfighters. They are made of "Z-foam", which can handle regular CA.

blkz2801 03-09-2010 11:45 AM

I tried regular CA didnt like the gunfighter. It ate alittle foam and didnt hold at all. soo i went with the gorilla glue and that worked like a charm!

mad web tv scientist 03-13-2010 04:32 PM

GUNFIGHTER APOLOGY

G'day Dave,

First things first - turns out that the above mentioned 109's ESC was on it's way out. It died completely this week while I was testing batteries, checking current, etc.. Current in this ESC never exceed 20 amps that even my little 800mAh 25C 3 cell battery was able to provide. It was never involved in a crash. So, at the moment the evidence seems to indicate that the ESC may have been defective. My GUNFIGHTER survived virtually identical treatment except, of course, it crashed twice as opposed to this 109 that has never crashed.

I feel especially bad about this next problem. I got suckered. If only I had kept checking that url more often that has now been replaced on our thread, I may have been able to correct it before "scientific credibility" could have (?) been as compromised as it may have been. I'm reminded of Winston Churchill's statement that a lie can travel around the world before the truth can get its pants on.

Obviously, I am over my head trying to do too many things at once and shrewd enemies are able slip in on my six before I have any idea. Fighter pilots are warned that: "it's always the one that you don't see that gets you." I've had the same problem on other web sites also so there is probably no cure for me. My only desperate hope is to apologize and try to make amends.

The next paragraph is a message to the friend that convinced me to use the link in question. I promise to check it more faithfully from now on and jump right on it if any more esoteric stuff attempts to masquerade as science. I hope he and I will still be friends. He has had some really neat things to say about aviation history in the past. Yes, I have tried to get him to buy a fighter.

"Thanks for any input you may have had for eliminating the esoteric unfalsifyable introductory information on the web site url that is still on my FABULOUS FRONT YARD FIGHTER thread (3/13/10). I can't help but wonder how much damage was done to the cause of verifiable scientific truth with that unfalsifyable 'angel story.'"

Well, here's hoping any battle damage can be repaired. If not, I am prepared to soldier on alone if necessary, even if I am the last inexperienced torpedo bomber bearing down on target with my gunner vainly trying to ward off a screaming swarm of Zeros.

Over and out!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

oregonflyguy58 03-16-2010 06:52 PM

Well went out to the airfield yesterday to fly P -51 and the corsair flew both birds through three batteries each and on my last flight of the P-51 I lost it so I'm just going to replace the airframe put the electronics in it

zsultan 03-17-2010 12:13 AM

Hi guys,

What batteries are you guys using in your P-51s?

Can you fit in it a 3S 2200mah pack? or will it be too heavy for this plane?

Please advise.

Thanks

mad web tv scientist 03-17-2010 06:42 PM

:) flyguy, sorry about your 51. Picked up an ESC yesterday and should have some batteries peak charged for air warfare this week. Let me know what your plans are, maybe we can have another flying session.

zsultan, I've read about success with the big 2200 mAh 3 cell size batteries and the GUNFIGHTER. My preference is four (4) ounce or lighter batteries, but that's just me. I have a thing about lightness.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Viragored 03-17-2010 10:46 PM

Hi Zsultan - try my earlier posts for info on my batteries:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9365167&key=
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9488757&key=

I've got some 2200 batteries in other models but have decided to not use them in the Mustang. I'd need to do quite a bit of surgery on the foam in the battery bay to allow the hatch to close, and probably the CoG would need adjusting too. I think the plane would fly fine with the heavier battery as long as it was delivering enough power (I'd want a 25C rating) but landings would be faster with a possible tendency to tip-stall or drop the nose at a higher speed than I might have anticipated.

Hope that helps, Dave