RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Official HZ Champ!! & Micro Flyers thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/9872683-official-hz-champ-micro-flyers-thread.html)

FirebirdCdr2 07-18-2010 05:48 PM

Official HZ Champ!! & Micro Flyers thread

This thread is for anyone who wants to talk about the HobbyZone Champ and any Micro flyers they may have. If you have pictures post them, If you have modified and or painted your Champ or Micro flyer.. If you just enjoy the Champ stock. Drop a line and tell us how you like it, or what you've change on it to make it to your liking.

FirebirdCdr2 07-18-2010 06:00 PM

RE: Official HZ Champ!! & Micro Flyers thread

I just got my Champ and so far I like it just the way it is. I may paint it later on down the road.

FirebirdCdr2 07-18-2010 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here my champ at the field I use to fly.

Raycamaro 07-18-2010 09:01 PM

I own the PZ Micro J-3 Cub. Has anybody flown both it and the Champ? If you own the Cub, is there any reason to buy the Champ? Thanks.

FirebirdCdr2 07-19-2010 07:08 AM

Ray,

I actually won the Champ in a contest. However, I do think that I would have ended up buying it anyway. I love to fly my Cub, but there are no park nice size parks near where I live, so with the Champ I can actually go over to the Small playground near me, and fly when I dont have enough time, or just can't get to the field where I fly my Cub. If you already have the Pz Micro J-3 Cub I dont think you need to buy the Champ unless you just want it to add to your hangar. Now the Pz Micro J-3 Cub is actually smaller that the Champ. I just Love planes no matter if it flies just like the Cub or flies like a Jet. LOL!! :D:D:D:D

How do you like the Pz Micro J-3 Cub?

Firebird

Raycamaro 07-19-2010 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just looked at the specs and you are right about the size. It's curious that the Champ is larger with a bigger battery yet costs $30 less. Have you tested the range on the radio? I fly my Cub with a DX6i so range is not a factor with it. The Cub is a lot of fun but if the Champ had any abilities the Cub doesn't, I would probably buy one for kicks. I also have the BL Cub and Decathlon. My hanger is still swelling as we speak. I have a new Diablo and F-16 arriving this week to go with the 20 plus planes including several micro planes already here. I just have an addiction I guess.

M. Boesen 07-19-2010 09:25 PM

Hello,

I've had my Champ for several weeks now and I love it! I have the pushrods set in the middle of horns and battery appx. 1/2" back. I don't see a need to mod the powerplant or battery 150-160mah lasts a long time. last couple times out I've been working on inverted flight, might go one more hole on horn...

Mark

FirebirdCdr2 07-20-2010 02:19 AM

Ray,

I have not range tested my champ yet. I did take it out and check to how responsive it is, and it is pretty responsive, However I did not take up for a high flight yet. I will be doing that sometime this week. Yeah, my hanger is beginning to grow, I didnt realize it until the other day. WoW!! 20 plus planes. Well adding the Champ to your hanger just for kicks wouldnt hurt. :D:D:D:D:D

FirebirdCdr2 07-20-2010 02:26 AM

Mark,

Have you gotten you champ to fly inverted yet? Yeah, I dont think I would mod the power plant. It seems to have a enough power to fly. I may give mine different paint job, However I do like the yellow paint job. You can see it in the sky better. Once I have time to really fly it the way I want to, I may decide to move the pusth rods to middle control horns too.
:D:D:D

Firebird

twizzy 07-21-2010 01:34 PM

i have a champ and it's a good plane for what it's worth.. i like it over the exceed rc j3 piper cub which takes forever to get off the ground.
 There is pretty much no upgrading the champ...it's turbo out the box!!

Raycamaro 07-21-2010 01:50 PM

Has anybody flown the Champ and the PZ micro J-3 Cub?

FirebirdCdr2 07-21-2010 08:14 PM

Ray,

I have flown my Champ and it flies very well. Set to Hi rate this thing is Zippy. Set on Low rate it flies like the Super Cub. Now I have not flown the PZ Micro J-3 Cub. The Champ does live up to it's name. It flies like a Champ!! :D:D:D:D:D

Firebird

Gypsy56 07-22-2010 08:10 PM

I,m looking to get my first microflyer and don't know where to start! How does this Champ compare to the Flyzone Playmate?
For that matter, what would you recommend for a small area? I'm a long time R/Cer, but never flown anything this small.

Ed

twizzy 07-22-2010 08:19 PM

hey Gypsy..it's funny you ask that question, I had the playmate, the little red-white plane. It cost 79.99 and the champ is 89.99
 I took it back after I played with it all day, wrapped that bird back in the box, added the difference and left out happy with the champ.
It's way more durable then any micro plane on the market. My champ will soon be back in the air. I need to order everything but the electronics!!
 The Champ RTF has alot of power out the box, don't buy the sdm piper cub j3 as I did and now I have to go brushless, but thats a whole nutta thread!

Gypsy56 07-22-2010 08:35 PM

Twizzy,
I'm most concerned with which will fly slower and land in a shorter distance. I have very limited space here at the house and I want to have something
I can fly at a moments notice without driving 25 miles to the field. Do you feel like the Champ would be best for that situation?

Thanks
Ed

FirebirdCdr2 07-22-2010 08:46 PM

Gypsy56,

I think it should be ok for your situation. As long as there are not too many trees around, and there is an open spot for a take off and landing.:D:D:D:D

Firebird

twizzy 07-22-2010 09:10 PM

both planes require the same amount of space. you can hand launch the champ from almost anywhere.

FirebirdCdr2 07-22-2010 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, I agree with Twizzy.

Hey guys I'm trying to grow my Micro Fleet. I think it's starting to grow.:D:D:D

Wheelnut 07-22-2010 09:25 PM

Are you guys kidding me, no home vids of this plane yet?

twizzy 07-22-2010 09:30 PM

My Champ is taking a backseat in my hangar...
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...j3piperCub.jpg

FirebirdCdr2 07-22-2010 09:35 PM

My video person is out of commission right now.:eek:

FirebirdCdr2 07-22-2010 09:37 PM

A far backseat. LOL!

twizzy 07-22-2010 09:40 PM

yeah doesn't it looks like a family disowning their only child....awww champ...your day will come!!

FirebirdCdr2 07-22-2010 10:09 PM

Yeah it does look that way. LOL!

Tommyr 07-23-2010 07:13 PM

There are a number of Champ videos on Youtube....

Wheelnut 07-23-2010 07:25 PM

I don't want to see their videos, I want to see yours:D

twizzy 07-23-2010 07:31 PM

If anyone that owns a champ I have a controller and a brand new ESC board that horizon sent me from illionois. I told them
it shipped defective and they mail me one as the called it a one-time customer courtesy, as you know that part alone goes for $59.99
But I don't know if I'm gonna buy another champ body for it. I can but the ember2 or vapor..or just sell the ESC/RECEIVER along with transmitter!

FirebirdCdr2 07-24-2010 02:38 AM

Twizzy,

Hom much you want for it?

twizzy 07-24-2010 10:01 AM

I have a good idea? I'll give you the Lithium Charger, battery, transmitter and the ESC Board. All you have to do in return is order me a motor/esc/prop combo from the hobbyking website and it's not over $25.00
If that sounds like something you will be interested let me know and I will give you all the info. Oh yeah the combo is for my sdm piper cub...

FirebirdCdr2 07-26-2010 08:21 PM

Twizzy,

The ruler of the money has over ruled me. Sorry man[:o]

Firebird

Wheelnut 07-26-2010 08:39 PM

Hey guys, I have a question,
This plane seems to be DSM2 tech, right?
Then why can't I find it as a BNF?

Also, what does the stock radio look like?

Thanks, I'm considering this plane for my son.

FirebirdCdr2 07-27-2010 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheelnut,

Yes it is DSM2 Tech. Here is what the radio looks like. It's actually a four channel radio that can be used with the BNF Micros. Not sure why the Champ does not come BNF.

Firebird

Wheelnut 07-27-2010 10:31 AM

Thanks, I guess I will pick one up for my son. I have watched videos on youtube and it looks like it flies great. Too bad it don't come as a BNF, probably would be pretty cheap. Maybe I'll sell the radio.

He has the DX5e and one of the e-flite radios that look just like this one.

Any problems so far with this plane? any draw backs?

FirebirdCdr2 07-27-2010 10:41 AM

Wheelnut,

I have not noticed anything as of yet that I would say is a draw back. It's actually very responsive. I had mine out this morning flying around. Whenever I ran out juice I put on the charger, and flew my S.C., Then when it was ready again put her back in the air. It's a neat little ole bird.

Firebird

Wheelnut 07-27-2010 11:17 AM

Firebird,
thanks alot for your quick responses.

Can it charge one battery while flying with another?
I won't worry if it can't, I will just bring one of my E-flite single lipo chargers.

twizzy 07-27-2010 05:51 PM

Yeah you can charge a battery while flying. The Battery charger accepts 4 AA batteries. @Firebird...Your wife is the comptroller,,,lol   i'm not mad at you!!..lol

Wheelnut 07-27-2010 06:21 PM

Umm, as far as I have read, you are the only one that has said anything about a wife.
So that joke went right over my head

FirebirdCdr2 07-27-2010 06:57 PM

Wheelnut,

Yeah, I made reference to my wife as "The Ruler Of The Money". I few blocks up. Thats what Twizzy is talking about. :D:D:D

Wheelnut 07-27-2010 07:12 PM

It's pretty much the same here, but I have been married for 15 years now and I know all the tricks:D

FirebirdCdr2 07-27-2010 08:15 PM

Wheelnut,

I'm still learning all the tricks. I dont do too bad. Seeing as though I own 11 RC's.:D:D:D:D.

Firebird