Notices
Polks Hobby Tracker Radio Support, hosted by Lewis Polk

lipos for rx power

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 PM
mountainroad
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipos for rx power

Does anybody know if I can use a lipo battery for my rx power source? I am using JR and polk recievers? If so what would I just use a 2 cell 7.4 volt ?

thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Montague

Default RE: lipos for rx power

I don't know about the RXs taking a 2-cell Lipo, but I kind of doubt it will work.

Just as importantly, most servos can't handle that high of a voltage either, they get all jittery, or something burns up.

Everyone that I've seen using Li batteries (including the Li-Ion packs I have) use a regulator of some sort to drop the voltage down to 6v or less.

Keep in mind that a fully charged 2-cell Lipo is going to be a hair over 8v.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
abbydawn

ORIGINAL: mountainroad

Does anybody know if I can use a lipo battery for my rx power source? I am using JR and polk recievers? If so what would I just use a 2 cell 7.4 volt ?

thanks for your help.
You need one of these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._5.5~23v_Input
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM
unit53

for some reason people just dont like to give direct answers,,,,the answer is YES ,,,,now hat you dont want to do is ,,use the directly without a regulator as stated and you dont want to drain them below their minimum voltage,,or they are trash,,,so you must weigh the differences,,,use a nicad or nimh and no reg or extra points of failure,,and cheaper to run with no balancing or special care,,,or go the lipo route,,,its up to you...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
prichiuso

I talked to Polk's about using a LiPo battery for the Tracker III transmitter and they advised against it due to the higher voltage. I switched the NiCd battery ti NiMh but the standard NiMh batteries self discharge at a high rate. I've since switched to using Sanyo's Eneloop NiMh batteries. They will hold 80% of their capacity for 6 months. In the last Model Aviation magazine (Sept '11) Red Scholefield, who writes the Battery Clinic section, says he's been using the Eneloops for over 2 years and when he checked the batteries they had not lost any of their original capacity. I'm using the Eneloops in all my transmitters and as reciever flight pack batteries. In my Tracker III and my Hitec Eclipse I'm using an 8 cell battery holder, and 4 cell battery holders for the flight packs. You can get Eneloops with solder tabs from Batteries America (www.batteriesamerica.com) or Battery Space (www.batteryspace.com) costs $0.25 per cell for tabs. Battery Space also has the best selection of battery holders.
To use a LiPo for a reciever battery you need a voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 5 or 6 volts from a 2 cell 7.4 volt pack otherwise you'll burn out your reciever or servos.