Polks Hobby Tracker Radio Support, hosted by Lewis Polk

rubber ducky antenna and Tracker TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
swede-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber ducky antenna and Tracker TX

Hello all-

Has anyone had any experince with using a rubber ducky antenna with the Tracker/Seeker TX/RX?

I've seen guys use them in combat with many other planes in the air(your territory Montaque)but for general sport flying, which generally involves longer distances, has any problems cropped up?

Swede
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 PM
JSGILL

Default RE: rubber ducky antenna and Tracker TX

personaly I have had problems with a rubber duck. I still do not trust them. I only use one indoors.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Montague

There are guys at my home field who have rubber ducks on JR and Futaba gear with no problems. One of them is a competitive pattern flyer.

Range tests with those TX's have shown either no drop in range, or negligable range drop.

Personally, I'd love to have one, it would be so much safer in the combat envrionment. But I can't afford to void my warentee right now to make the mod. (otherwise I would have already done it)

Also, with a duck antenna, you'd have no way to reduce the sensitivity of the scanner unless you had a BNC mount and took the antenna off entirely. (which, I think is the norm for these antenna's anyway). For sport flying, that might not matter of course.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using one for 3 years on my Eclipse
and seriously thinking of using one on my tracker 3 soon
never had range trouble with sport models or gliders ( very high at times )
have over 700 flights on the Eclipse tx with spectra module

Jean
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
cajun1

I've used the duck antenna on several transmitters and have never noticed any range problems with them. I'll probably put one on my Tracker this next season and would not anticipate problems with it either.

I did leave the ducky base mount on one of my Airtronics radios when I sent it in for service, and received a scolding from the service dept. They told me in short order that this could void the warranty on this TEN year old transmitter[&o][:'(].
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 AM
JSGILL

We still cannot recommend using any antenna other than the one the radio is supplied with.
Most manufactures will void a warranty if the radio is modified in any way. This includes replacing the antenna with an after market one. The radio is approved by the F.C.C. as they are manufactured. It would be the same as changing the engine in your car from a 6 cyl. To an 8, yes it may run great but the auto manufacture will not warranty the car with the change.

John S Gill
Sales manager
Polk's Hobby