Polks Hobby Tracker Radio Support, hosted by Lewis Polk

TX Quick Battery Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TX Quick Battery Chargers

The TX has a reverse polarity protection diode in the circtuit which protects the transmitter from putting the battery in backwards. There are diagrams for disabling this diode on many other transmitters, JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, and so on, but nothing on the Polk. But, after reading some of the comments here on RCU, I think it's probably a bad idea to disable the reverse polarity protection (short out the diode with a short piece of wire). Reason being is that after looking closely at the battery connector, it is completely possible to install the battery in backwards (minus to the plus and plus to the minus) which will, in my estimation, destroy the transmitter.

The reason I mention this is because some of the fast pulse chargers will not work without the feedback from the transmitter (battery circuit) to show what the level of charge is. SO, this diode is shorted out providing a direct path to the battery pack when the pack is in the transmitter. This gives the user about a half hour to an hour to fully recharge the TX battery.

With the Polk, however, this does not work because the diode is in place, doing it's job. The direct connect quick charge will not work with the diode in there. The only real and safe alternative is to remove the battey from the transmitter and recharge it directly rather than through the battery charge connector on the transmitter. Just watch and observe polatity when putting it back in. If reversed, you can turn the transmitter on but nothing will happen. Just reverse the battery connection and try again..should work just fine.

DS.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TX Quick Battery Chargers

Yep, and since the polk uses a standard servo-style connector on the battery, popping the battery out and plugging in your fast charger is pretty easy. And as you noticed, if you connect it backwards when you put the connector back, nothing bad happens.

I've been doing it this way rather than worrying about the diode. It's really not a hassle to pop out the battery.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TX Quick Battery Chargers

That's right, Mont. That was the point of my post. Removing or rather shorting the diode would more than likely void the warranty. This way, it's and easy to do method of quick-charge.

Thank.

DS.