Polks Hobby Tracker Radio Support, hosted by Lewis Polk

Seeker RX Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeker RX Problems?

I ordered the seeker RX 8 ch receiver to use with my JR 9303 synthesized radio. A friend is using this set up with good results, just curious if anyone is having problems that I should good for?
Larry
Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Montague

Default RE: Seeker RX Problems?

I had 4 of them. 1 works perfectly, the other 3 would not lock on to my JR 9303 with the synth module. I sent them back to Polk, and they claimed to "fix" them or something, but they still wouldn't lock on to the 9303. I finally sold them to a friend who had a basic futaba, and they work fine for him.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Larry S

Thanks Kirk,
Glad to know. Receiver should be here first thing next week and we'll see how it works. Was going to order two of them but decided to go with just one to see if it works as advertised.
Order Date: 4/22/2008
Your Order has been shipped via
UPSGR on 4/25/2008.
They advertised shipping within 24 hours and as you can see they waited 3 days before shipping. First time with Polk and already one small thing is not as advertised. Hope the product is.
Larry

Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4931335/tm.htm

Please check out the thread listed above
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Montague

Oh, I forgot, the 3 RXs that I sold would appear to lock on to the JR's signal, but would go wacky when the sticks were moved to the extremes. The set light would start flashing, and the servos would drive over in some odd ways.

So, if you have a Seeker, be sure to test it on the bench and make sure you can move all the channels to both extremes, all together. Basically "stir" the sticks around.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Larry S

Mont,
Thanks for your help. I'll make sure to check that. From what I read so far, it sounds like people are having more problems with the seeker then what they are worth. Last thing I want is to lose a plane. It sure is taking a long time to get here, been ordered over a week ago. I just can't understand why JR didn't have a way to set their receivers from outside of a plane instead on pulling wings, cords, etc to get to the receiver to change frequencies.
Larry
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Montague

Yeah, I agree. Polk might have some patents on some of that, but I've never looked at it.

Btw, the best synth RX I've ever seen is the Hitec Fusion 9. I have 2 of these, and they are just amazing. PPM receivers, but they have full programable failsafe, and some really first rate signal processing. The setting procedure is a bit of a hassle, though. And they are 9 channels as well, which was a big thing with one of my models.

As for the seekers, some people have nothing but trouble, but they do just work fine for most people. The ones I sold are working great for him, the one I have has never missed a beat, and I have a Seeker 6 in a combat plane, and it's never shown a hit of trouble either. I've also heard of plenty of problems with the Seeker6, including ones dead on arrival. Im not sure if it's a quality control thing, or what.

But at least in my case, I've never had one just stop working when it worked before. YMMV though
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM
XJet
Banned

It's a shame that Polk dropped the ball with the consistency of the Seeker receivers because at $60 the Seeker 6 was a very nicely priced unit.

And, when they work, they work very well indeed, offering great range and very simple setup.

However, when they don't work, they cost models.

I don't know if it was a design issue (no allowance for component tolerances) or a manufacturing one (poor QC in the factory) but almost all of my Seeker 6s have had to go back to Polk at some stage for repair/replacement some before they were even flown.

Now that the likes of Corona seem to be getting their own synth receivers sorted and with the general shift off to 2.4GHz, I expect the window of opportunity for the Seeker receivers has well and truly closed :-(
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Larry S

Well finally got the seeker 2 receiver and just like you said, Montague, on two channels, ailerons and throttle, when I went to full extremes, everything got jumpy. On the throttle, I could set my end point and reajust the linkage because it only got squirrelly at the very extreme. On the ailerons, when I moved the stick one way, everything worked fine but when I started to go to the other side, again, everything started jumping. Also one channel for my bomb drop wouldn't work at all so I'll see if I can get a refund or sell it but that's the last of Polk for me. What started out to be a simple fix turned into a complex problem. I went from a JR 7202 radio to their 9303 synthsized one but the one thing I didn't like was having to tear down a plane at the field to reach the reset button, then I heard about Polk. I thought this would be just what I wanted so I ordered one and as you can see, it doesn't do the job. Back to my basics, sell the JR radio and synthsize receiver, sell the Polk receiver if I can and go back to my old reliable Airtronics radios. For what I spent on this crap, I could have had a new 2.4 Airtronics radio. I guess we spend and learn.
Larry
Old 05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Larry S

Update to all who read this forum. Seeker 2 receiver that I trid to work with my JR radio won't work with that radio BUT I did find out it will work with my Airtronics radios. Only problem is my JR was a scan select and my Airtronics radios aren't but at least the receiver will work on the frequencies that are already in my Airtronics radios, just can't change them.
Larry
Old 05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Larry S

It seems nobody is reaing this thread but I have to give an undate in case someone is. I stated that the seeker 2 receiver would not work with my JR radio and I want to recant that. I'll explain what I had. I am only using three of the channels on the seeker 2 because I have a delta wing but that was not the problem. The problem I had was when I went to low throttle and put in left aileron, the throttle servo would jump. If I put in right aileron, all work good. Now if I had the throttle in the half to full position, all would work good. For some reason I moved every switch on the JR, including the gear, aux, flap switches to see what would happen and here is what happened. When I flipped the gear switch, the throttle servo jumped no matter what aileron position I had. When I flipped the gear switch again, then the throttle servo jumped just when I put in left aileron and only jumped when it was at low setting. So what I did was I went into the radio program and somehow deactivated the gear switch completely. Bingo, everything seems to work good. No jumping of the throttle servo at all no matter what other inputs I give the plane. I will also say that the JR radio was programmed this way from the factory, it wasn't anything I had did. Also I do not have anything plugged into the gear channel on the seeker 2, I am only using the first three channels so why would the gear switch have anything to do with this? As I said, it seems to be working but I ran down the battery on the JR so when it charges up, I'll see if that takes care of the problem. Also if it does solve my problem and after I test it out on the field, I'll let ya know.
Larry
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Larry S

It works. IF you are using the JR 9303 like I am, you have to disable all switch functions. You can not use the default settings.
Larry