My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Elevator control for Polk Hobby CHARLOTTE ARF GLIDER

I have problems with installing the elevator control for Polk Hobby CHARLOTTE ARF GLIDER. The inside plastic control rod bent and jammed in the outer plastic tube. where it passed from inside the vertical stabilator to the fuselage. I replaced this "golden rod" type control with a metal inside rod that moved much better when connected to the servo, but not yet connected to the control horn at the elevator . However, the elevator is now moving very slowing after attaching the metal rod to the control horn at the hinge area on the elevator using Dubro Ez Connector For Rod Cable.

I did not follow the ARF instructions that located the control horn farther out from the hinge area, as I did not believe that this would work out. I tried moving the position of the connection at the control horn to better align it, but no improvement in elevator motion was observed.

I welcome all suggestion on the installation of control rod inside the vertical stabilator for upper level elavator.

P.S. I first posted this message at sailplanes, as I did not know that Polk had this forum available for questions.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM
bdelmonte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Elevator control for Polk Hobby CHARLOTTE ARF GLIDER

It has been 11 days since I posted my question above without any reply back here. Is this forum still being supported by Polk Hobby?

The metal rod for elevator control that replaced the original plastic rod is currently positioned to align with the servo arm without any binding.

I am going to install a Midwest Carbon Fiber tube for keeping this elevator control rod from bending. It will require me to cut at least one hole in the bottom of the fuselage for placing a plywood bracket to hold and align this tube.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM
nyniaan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ARF kits, especially T-tails, aren't known for their smooth control-rod operation.
I recommend using the outer holes on the elevator itself and whatever hole is needed to get appropriate throw on the servo.
I think throw in the case of this bird would be adequate ate 3/8" up and 1/4" down, just as a general rule - I don't have one in hand, so that's just a guess...
To address the control-rod issue:
get a goldberg brass cable-type pushrod from your LHS and just take the cable out of it - get the thin cable, not the thick one.
there won't likely be room for the solder-on clevis at the tail end, so:
wick solder into the cable (do this b4 you try and install it) for about 1/2"-3/4" of length.
Carefully! bend the end that will go through the control horn 90 degrees, making about 1/4" of leftover (the base of the "L")
install the cable, flex it over enough to go into the horn and add just a dot of 'regular' glue (I use either wood glue or hot-melt) to the bit of cable that sticks out of the horn.
line up, cut and solder the other end if you like - I prefer using the screw-type pin-and-barrel adjustable connectors DuBro makes - like are on the aerobird/firebird things.

sorry if this post is needlessly long, I don't know your modelling skill level and wanted to cover it as well as I can.

Hope this works - it did for my HobyLobby Kelly, which looks about the same.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
bdelmonte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you, I will try something like your suggestion, as the carbon rod did not work.

More info with pics found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9300392