RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Polks Hobby (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/polks-hobby-135/)
-   -   Tracker III RF output. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/polks-hobby-135/11052582-tracker-iii-rf-output.html)

lbarnes 04-22-2012 02:01 PM

Tracker III RF output.

I have 2 Tracker III's. One I have used for about 4 years now and the other is brand new (purchased this year and stored it as a backup).

Fly last week I lost a plane in the trees due to los of control. After retreiving the plane I notice that the left aileron was up. The plane did a quick left roll and then it came back to me, I was just about to give up elevator to get some altitude and it again rolled left and went into the tree tops.

After geting the plane back to the pit area I did a range check and found that at 20ft with antenna down the serfos and motor went nuts. Thinking I had a bad receiver I replace it with one that I know is good (hitech). Did a range check again and same thing.

Now I tok the brand new one out of the box and programed it for the plane. Range check seemed to improve but still glitched at 30ft then locked in and was good out to 75ft with antenna down.

I then retried my older TX, it would go out to the 75ft mark and slightly twitch.

I thought I read somewhere the you performed a range check with 1 section extended on the antenna, read the manual and nothing there, did a search on Polks thread nothing there either.

Anyone know about the anetnna issue.

larry

Walt Thyng 04-23-2012 07:30 AM

RE: Tracker III RF output.

Larry,
I range check my TIII at 40 paces with the antenna fully collapsed. I will fly as long as control is solid at 30 paces.

I had a software problem with my TIII a few years ago. It developed after several flying seasons. When I went to high rate on the ailerons I got full left aileron and down elevator (maybe full left rudder, too). Polk repaired it and it's been flawless since.

If you send it for repair, write down all your model set ups, 'cause they'll be gone when you get it back.

As for the one section of the antenna extended, I believe that has to do with the frequency checking feature. I usually fly on 18 and I have a buddy who flies 42. I will get a frequency busy warning if he is flying. The double check procedure is to turn the radio off and collapse all but one section of the antenna, then turn the radio back on. When I do that I get a clear frequency signal. I then fully extend the antenna and fly without a problem.
Walt

lbarnes 04-23-2012 09:33 AM

After thinking about it, with both TX's acting close to the same I dont think I have a RF output issue.

Yeah, I know about the model eraseing when sent in. I have a spreadsheet program with all my 17 model settings.

It makes it much easier to re input the values when it comes back.

Thanks for the response.

Larry

lbarnes 11-01-2012 02:49 PM

It's been some time now since I last posted but I fond the issue with the TX.

It was a loose wire on the alerion gimble.

Went to fly a plane and just before I gave it full power I cycled the controls and found that when the ailerion control went to the right it was ok, when to the left it went right[:-]

A white wire had come unsoldered on the control.

Back to Polk for repair.

larry