RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marketplace (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=560)
-   -   F-105 Thunderchief Kit, 1/6th Scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11649452)

ljsoarinson 05-30-2018 02:32 PM

F-105 Thunderchief Kit, 1/6th Scale

Here's an opportunity to own one of the rarely modeled century jet fighters in a size that does justice to the original. The jet has a real presence and looks like nothing else in the air.
The kit was made by B-1 Bob (Bob Moore).

Included in the sale is everything shown in the second photo. There are more than forty composite parts alone:

Custom retracts by Matrix Machine
Wheels, brakes
Fuel tanks
Scale wing tanks and pylons
Complete intake ducting
Cockpit tub, canopy

Span: 70.5"
Length: 129"
Height: 41"

This F-105 would fly well on 200 to 250 N power.

The history of this kit is well documented by its creator B1 Bob. Note that the retracts included with the sale are second generation pneumatic gear, substantially redesigned with dual cylinders and locks both up and down. The gear in the following videos are first generation. Here are some videos of the retracts in operation:

F-105 main retract by Matrix Machine
F-105 nose retract by Matrix Machine

Lift test with main retract
Lift test with nose retract

Flight videos of the prototype:

Shipping is available at the buyer's expense. Or, I will be in Monticello, IL on the weekend of June 16th and can deliver there. Feel free to call with any questions, 612.756.0930

mr_matt 05-31-2018 07:22 AM

Hello,

Have the matrix gear ever been flown by anyone? I have never seen this plane fly with the gear up.

I like the plane but I can't reengineer the retracts!

ljsoarinson 05-31-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mr_matt (Post 12436618)
Hello,

Have the matrix gear ever been flown by anyone?

Matt, that’s a valid question. The Matrix Machine gear has not been installed and flown to date. I do have the first generation gear and had planned to do a test to find out how much more weight the new gear can lift with the same air pressure. Two air cylinders are used on the new gear. There was only one cylinder on the old gear. Also, the linkage is significantly different on the new gear. The mechanical advantage is improved in the upper range of retraction. Finally, mechanical up locks and down locks are designed into the new mechanism. From what I understand, the old main gear did successfully retract on occasion but G forces could pull it down again. It relied on air pressure to keep it in place which wasn’t reliable.

The point is, the retracts have already been reengineered by some good minds. This was a sizable investment in itself. Please give me a call if you would like to discuss further. Now you’ve got me thinking, I might just rig up that test…

ljsoarinson 06-01-2018 11:55 AM

New Matrix Retracts -- Capability Test

Originally Posted by ljsoarinson (Post 12436633)
Now you’ve got me thinking, I might just rig up that test…

I took another look at the original retracts and realized I could not do a comparison test with the newer Matrix gear. Not all the parts were with the older gear. So I did the next best thing and measured how much weight the new Matrix gear could lift in addition to the wheel. See the video links added to the original post.

Each main could lift an additional 1.4 pounds, which is an extra one and a half times the wheel and brake assembly.
The nose retract could lift 3.4 pounds in addition to the nose wheel!

The test was done with 97 psi, standard (not high-flow) valves and 1/16" ID tubing.

Viper1GJ 06-08-2018 10:28 AM

Do you know what the approximate weight of the F-105 will be with fuel?
Is there any stab mounting system included to include bearings and servo drive linkages?
Do you know the status of Bobs molds for making replacement parts if needed?
Thanks
Gary

ljsoarinson 06-08-2018 10:52 AM

The weight ready to fly without fuel should be right around fifty pounds. The stabilizer pivots with bearings and servo mounts are included and ready to bolt to the formers.

​​​I do not know the status of the molds, however I do have access to the canopy form.

rmcc 07-08-2018 02:02 AM

Is the F-105 kit still for sale?

ljsoarinson 07-08-2018 05:21 AM

The F-105 is sold.