Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

BalsaNova 120 W/ YS140L??

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

BalsaNova 120 W/ YS140L??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 05:16 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BalsaNova 120 W/ YS140L??

Anybody flying anything close to this combo? I've seen guys using Moki 1.8's on them, just wondering if the 140 will give reasonable 3D performance.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:20 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default balsanova 120 suggestions

The balsanova with a YS 140 is ample. For 3D you will have to modify the original design, I also suggest building the 80 inch version. I am getting ready to start one with the mods for 3D version. I am going to use the OS 160, the moki 1.8 is too heavy and the plane needs lightened anyway. Best of luck to you, Jeff W
Old 04-13-2002, 06:54 PM
djlyon

Mines got a ST 2300 in it and weights 10lbs10oz. It was a little nose heavy and took 2 oz of lead in the tail. The YS might be a little trouble balancing but you do get to put the fuel on the CG. The ST will hover the plane and has reasonable vertical acceleration. The plane is a wonderfull flying plane but the big high fuselage does inhibit rotation about the "Y" axis and that inhibits 3d. I'd like to know what J WILLIAMS mods are.
Don't use the construction lumber they give you in the kit as is, for ailerons. Build them up or cut 13 -2 in holes in each peace of construction lumber. That's what I did
Old 04-13-2002, 10:23 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

The guys here that fly the 120 BALSA NOVA fly them with 140 Ls. They give very good vertical performance. NOT UNLIMITED but good. One guy just went to the MOKI 210. I noticed a big difference in just watching the plane fly. You can see that it made it heavy! When i flew it, it takes much longer to leave the ground. No one here knows how to hover or torque roll so no help there. I'm looking at one for my 8 year old grandson. GREAT SECOND/THIRD plane.
They all also fly it with the longer version wing, I would like to fly one with the short one, with it's chord and depth I can't imagine that not being enough..or even better.

RON in NEVADA
Old 04-14-2002, 09:29 PM
JWilliams

Default balsa nova 120 info

The designer and I belong to the same rc club and I talked with him about doing the short or long wing version. The long version offers more precision type rolling ability and qualifies for IMAA events, the short gives better transportation and a little more snap but almost no difference. I have not gotten started on the 3D mods as it is still in the box, got some ideas and lowering the turtledeck was not one of them but maybe I should consider it. I was going to enlarge control surfaces and rebuild some stuff to make it lighter. Other than that I will figure the rest out as I go and then flight test it. If it works I will post my mods. But I will say I have never met anybody that did not like the way it or its little brother flew. I am planning the OS160FX. Best of luck and happy contrails. Jeff W.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:17 AM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Of the 4 guys that fly 120 BALSA NOVA'S around here three have purchased the 40 sized, one kit and two ARFS,

NONE OF THEM HAVE LIKED THEM AT ALL.

They all agreed the 120 is in a CLASS of it's own.

All three took the 40 sized to the L.H.S. and sold them.

RON in NEVADA
Old 04-15-2002, 10:35 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default 3-D ?

I wish we could hear from someone that has tried to do 3D with a BN120. A buddy and I both have these kits but we aren't sure whether to build them or keep em' on the back burner. Has anyone tried the harrier, etc. with one of them?

Thanks,

John Wells
Old 04-15-2002, 11:31 AM
JWilliams

Default balsa nova 120 3D

Hey desert ratt, that is the first time I have ever heard anybody that does not like the 40 size but hey thats the way it goes. I have flown both sizes and yes the 120 is better to me. But the 40 flew great. Now as far as 3D goes, the plane was not designed with that in mind. There was a guy here in the local club that enlarged the elevator and it would hover on YS 140. But that was all he did till it had a radio problem resulting in it mating with trees. I think the airplane could be a great 3D ship if it had the mods. Like I said in above post I am going to start on one soon with 3D in mind. Morris will have the arf version of the balsa nova 120 soon, I expect to hear something soon on that. Check out their new website much better than the old one. Jeff W.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:08 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Hideho all,

Here's a tip, the Balsda Nova 120 is being ARF'd as we speak...should be available towards the end of summer...

And for what it"s worth, the new line of warbirds from Morris, made by VQ are pretty outstanding I'm told.

The other new ARF from Morris I belive will be the 60 size Sudo...

I spoke with Matt Jolley at Morris the other day when I ordered a T'Cap, and they have completely redesigned their website too.

Just a little heads up...
Old 04-16-2002, 04:32 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default Nova 120 & OS 1.6FX is GREAT !!

Hey folks , just caught this thread and wanted to say the BN 120 is great with the OS 1.6 FX - it is very lite , snappy , FUNNNNN , will hover at high idle and blast out of any manuver with great authority ! It will hover and torque , flat spin so so and many other manuvers well as stock with no mods, does any one have a list of mods for 3D ?? It is a real good FUN plane overall and a decent IMAC practice plane for our level of Sportsman. It actually has some similar traits of our awesome flyin H9 CAP 232 with the sweet ZDZ-80, but not near as great overall of course !
Have FUN !!!!!!!!!!! Rod & Chris in PA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8624_800.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5826  
Old 04-17-2002, 03:25 AM
djlyon

Gee I love my 40 size BN with a Webra 50 almost as much as my 120 size BN (see avatar for 120 size). Both were the old kits.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Default how much $$$ you askin?

Originally Posted by John Wells
I wish we could hear from someone that has tried to do 3D with a BN120. A buddy and I both have these kits but we aren't sure whether to build them or keep em' on the back burner. Has anyone tried the harrier, etc. with one of them?

Thanks,

John Wells
how ch you want for the kits?