Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Wing Area for a Profile with a 40FP

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Wing Area for a Profile with a 40FP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
oddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Area for a Profile with a 40FP

Hello Everyone...

Im just begining designing and building my first Profile airplane.

I have 4 OS Max FP 40 size engines sitting in my workshop.

Im thinking of building a 42" wingspan planes, with foam/balsa Tapered wings (Kind of like the OMP Fusion)

Im planning on using a NACA0014 for root airfoil with a NACA0016 for tip airfoil

In your experience and considering that in MĂ©xico we fly at an altitude of 7,350 ft (2,230 mts) over the sea level.....will a 40 FP be enough power on a 400 sq wing area airplane to hover.

In advance thank you very much....i have almost no experience at all with profiles so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
VĂ*ctor Arreola (Oddy)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wing Area for a Profile with a 40FP

Wing area really has nothing to do with hovering performance since in a true hover the wing provides zero lift, and therefore is just dead weight. If hovering with a 40FP is your goal, then your priority should be focused on the total weight of the plane instead of the wing area.

But that doesn't mean wing area isn't important, because the wing area will have an affect on the ease of entering and exiting a hover. The lighter the wing loading, the easier the plane will harrier, which makes it easier to enter and exit from a hover. The heavier the wing loading, the harder it will be to harrier, which will make it harder to enter a hover in the first place.

I'm a big fan of the old OS 40FP, and have used them on several different type planes, including the plane shown in my avatar. Based on my experience at 1000 feet, a 40FP with a stock muffler can hover a plane up to about 3 1/2 pounds. With a mousse can muffler, a 40FP can hover a 4 pound plane. At these weights there is still enough reserve power remaining to pull out vertically from a hover, but the climbout will be very slow. Since you are at a much higher altitude, I would guess that you would need to subtract at least 1/2 pound from these weights.

The planes I've been hovering with a 40FP and a stock muffler have had at least 600 square inches of wing area, and weighed a maximum of 3 1/2 pounds. With a mousse can muffler, I've hovered a 4 pound profile plane with about 700 square inches of wing area.

So if you intend to stick with 400 square inches of wing area, and intend to hover with a 40FP, I would guess your weight would need to stay under the 2 1/2 pound mark or you will have problems trying to enter a hover.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing Area for a Profile with a 40FP

Magic 3d would fit the bill for the 40fp or there is a lot of smaller profiles that will work well.