Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Red Wing Sbach profile

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Red Wing Sbach profile

Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Wing Sbach profile

Just received my Redwing profile.I think it is the same company that produces Peaks' planes.Nice plane
No manual.Typical.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Red Wing Sbach profile

AND?????
Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 AM
jdan

And, A whole bag of unusual hardware and no information as to where they go,not to mention no CG info.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Was there a little disc in the box?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
jdan

No disc.I even checked their website to see if I could download the manual.No info there either.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is the same plane as the Peakmodel pro S-Bach, you can download the
manual from Peak's website...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need no Stinking Manual!!!!!

For C/G...........find the fattest part of the main wing. Start from there!!!

If you can't figure out how to put the rest of it together, then you really don't have the skills to fly a profile!!!

I'm just saying.............
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
jdan

I guess you never flew the OMP Razor Yak.I thought I was buying an ARF,not a jigsaw puzzle.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
jdan

Thanks dryverman,It is the same as Peaks.Just downloaded the manual.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. Keep us posted on your progress. Thinking about getting one.

BTW...a friend of mine just moved back to VT after selling his house in Media.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
RedwingRC

Hey Guys

this plane is very similar to Peaks version.  Very few changes made on V1.

The manual is now on the site here, unders Specs:
http://redwingrc.com/planes/20cc-Sbach-Profile-DLE.htm

The CG is best right on the tube, or a little on the back edge of it. 

Thanks guys!  Let us know how your build and flights go.  We'd love to post videos etc.
Tim

Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Tim,

I gave my completed bird an engine test run last weekend. The firewall (if we can call it that since it does not really have one) was so weak that the motor shook very badly. After less than couple of minutes of goosing the throttle, the top engine mount broke.

I believe this is a rather big flaw in the airframe design. I tore off the covering to find that there was not much wood at all. The horseshoe shape piece of ply used for the engine rail was very thin and does not extend deep enough to reach the wing tube and landing gear sections of the fuselage.

I ended up pulling the horseshoe engine mount off the airframe and this took very little effort since the glue was minimal. I epoxied the mount and added a large piece of lite ply to beef up the entire port side of the fuselage from the engine back to the landing gear area.

I will finish covering the added side and remounting the engine tonight. Will test run this weekend. The new enforced mount is ten times stronger and I hope to be able to fly the plane without further rework. It's a very nice plane but the engine mount is not safe as it is designed.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
RedwingRC

Hi Bob

We have actually had that happen to 2 of them (including yours) out of the couple dozen we sold.  I completely agree, and brought it to the attention of the factory.  They are redesigning with more reinforcement in the next batch. 

Extra expoxy, as you did already should cover it, but adding extra ply would help too. 

Bob, please contact me when you get a chance
thanks
Tim

Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

I flew my buddy Dave's last week with the DLE20 and I was both surprised and impressed. It flew very well, and really stands out in the air with the neon green color scheme. I like that they designed it around the DLE20, they even have a cutout in the motor mount to the muffler to clear. With the sleek but narrow wing cord I didnt' think it would be a good floater, but it slows down rear nice and floats just like some of the other big name profiles. Good job Red Wing! DG
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one, posted in the 3d section about it, for the pricein the ukit is a good buy. Eventually balanced with no lead and one 190 gram a123 battery in the wing and dry weight was 7 pounds 7 oz, not bad. The COGis not in the manual but is 14 cm from the leading edge, the manufacturer says it is 10cm from the leading edgebtw in front of the wing tube?. If you balance on the wing tube you will need 10oz on the nose and it will head straight to the ground if you fly inverted.

The model will fly straight up forever with the dle 20, will 3d well for a experienced pilot (not me) and has great knife edge with no coupling. The model is also built very well and the hardware is up to the job. The model is a riot.

The downside is it has to small a wing for a stable harrier as wing loading is about 20 oz/ft so suffers from wing rock that makes it hard to fly low with confidence (quote from a far more experienced pilot than me who was torque rolling it at 15 feet) also the engine mount is suspect. I glassed and reinforced mine and it never failed by the way.

Mine is now in rc heaven, a elevator servo that just decides to stop working does this, happened yesterday and am gutted as this was the most fun plane I have owned so far after 3 years flying. Just for reference I still have my trainer with hundreds of flights on her so I am not a crasher, was most suprised when I took off and could not level off but instead she continued into a climb then loop then ground dart. Tail was in one piece, servo arm and elevator still connected, servo still attached to rx but wiggle sticks and nothing from elevator servo, even tried different channels of rx, servo just died, s**t happens.

The problems with this model have been noted by the manufacturer by the way and a new version with a better motor mount and a larger wing is available soon, it is a yak version and wing loading should be nearer 16 oz/square feet. I plan to get one in the next few weeks, I will post how I get on here.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
rjbranchii

Make that 3 motor mount failures. Started it up and awful vibration, within seconds heard a crack then another as first the top and then the bottom of the motor mount U fractured and the motor fell off to the side on the starting stand. Fortunately rpm was low and the fuel line pinched off immediately before someone could be hurt. I am not sure even how to repair it. Also not sure I have enough confidence to even fly it if I did fix it. Probably going into the junk can.

bob branch
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 AM
raydar

I epoxyed and glassed mine before I even started it up, and had no issues I would strongly advise anyone who gets one of these to do the same. I strenthen all mygas motor mounts as soon as I get them as Ihave found the gas vibswork loose the crap hot glue on the arfs pretty quickly. I especiallydone it on this model as I agree it is a weak design and could be dangerous ifthe motor let loose.

I also have now bought the new yak version, not that I did not like my sbach but the yak seems to be better at least on paper for wing loading, hope it flys as well. I have glassed and added tri stock to the yak motor mount also before first start. Hopefully maiden today and do a flight report on the other thread I started here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11047522/tm.htm
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
RedwingRC

Hey Raydar - that is correct

the tristock is ESSENTIAL.  We've only had 3 failures and they all did NOT have tristock epoxied. 

We sent bob a new fuse out on our dime, even though the tri stock was not installed.

He should be good to go now.  I'm having them put the tristock in a baggie with a note that EXPRESSLY STATES to install it.

I flew mine the other day and ripped it around like crazy.  Stock set up with tri stock installed.  Flies great, no failure.  Full speed snap rolls, blenders waterfalls.  I can put up some video. 

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

so I just started a orange one have to re glue the engine mount to?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 AM
rjbranchii

Yes, and be sure to add the tristock to back the motor mount up. The pieces are not big but apparently they make a significant difference. You'll like the build. Very nice. Pushrods are great! Why don't others include nice stuff like these?

bob branch
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

could someone put a few pictures on here how thay beefed up the motor mounts
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 AM
RedwingRC

here's a couple shots.

Top and bottm as much as you can - whereever the engine isn't

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84984.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1757818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54480.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1757819  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So has this weak engine mount problem been corrected in the new version? Seems like more thought could go into the design in the first place. Capt,n
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 AM
RedwingRC

Yes, the overall structure has been improved and the factory is putting more glue on the joint on our 2nd batch

But the tri stock has solved the problem in all the instances we have seen. 

It should have been added to the kit and in the instructions from the get go - as not all builders know or think of these things. 

It is now in the kit and should have a note in the baggie with the tristock, with EACH plane to epoxy to the mount after installing the engine for vibration dissipation

95% of the planes we didn not hear of any problem with.  We are assuming those users  used tristock without being promoted, and/or did not suffer the vibration problems.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
raydar

My Yak has 50 flighs now, the glassed and tri stock engine mount shows no sign of failing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.