Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Super Sportster vs Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Super Sportster vs Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:10 PM
Bullitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster vs Somethin' Extra

I was out of the hobby for a bunch of years and recently resurrected my Falcon 56. I've gotten good enough with the Falcon again where it's begging for mercy and it's time to upgrade. I had a Super Sportster 60 before and loved it and was thinking of doing an 40 ARF version not. I see lots of favorable comments about the SE listed. Is the SE that much superior in flight over the sportster? I really love the curved lines of the Sportster as opposed to the boxy look of the SE but if the SE is that much better a flier then I will go with it. Looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:21 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

What kind of flying do you enjoy? What kind of flying to you aspire too?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:31 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

As Paul is eluding to, the Sportster is a great sport flier with entry level acrobatic capability. The SIG SE is basically a sport flier on steroids, leaning towards a Fun Fly, though far from a Fun Fly. It make a good entry level Fun Fly. If you like some speed, then I would lean towards the Sportster.
Hope that this helps.
Kevin
Old 08-30-2003, 01:15 AM
BigSTIK40flier

check out some of the plans at www.spadtothebone.com , im building a spa3d right now total cost including engine and radio(robbed from other plane :'( ) is 15$ cheap ways to get some pretty good flying planes, not the best but definetly better in the price department. but it just depends onn what type of flying you want. (btw they have many diffrent flying spads)
Old 08-30-2003, 01:41 AM
Bullitt

I enjoy "pattern" style flying. That was really what I was doing when I took a hobby vacation. 3D wasn't even invented back then, but, my next plane will be a full 3D capable plane. Maybe a UCD3D or a Flip. I would like this one to be pattern/fun fly capable but also allow me to move toward 3D.
Old 08-30-2003, 02:56 AM
BotleRocketWar

You most likely aren't going to find one that is a good FunFly AND a good pattern flyer.

It's hard enough finding one or the other...

The Somethin' Extra is a great airplane, but FAR from a pattern flyer. The Super Sportster is just as far from that and even further from being a FunFly...

The Somethin' Extra is one of my favorite airplanes of all time. I think that if you want low and slow aerobatics, with a little 3D, and even decent high speed flight, the SE is a great airplane. I think you will enjoy it no matter what you do with it.

You know how the Super Sportster flies. I think it's an old design and very boring...That's just my opinion though.

We still don't know much about your background or what you really want...

What'a "pattern type" flying? Some of the guys I've flown with go up and fly in big circles with an occasional roll and loop and call it pattern flying...

Tell us more!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:36 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by Bullitt
I enjoy "pattern" style flying. That was really what I was doing when I took a hobby vacation. 3D wasn't even invented back then, but, my next plane will be a full 3D capable plane. Maybe a UCD3D or a Flip. I would like this one to be pattern/fun fly capable but also allow me to move toward 3D.
get the Great Planes Venus... sounds like that your looking for....
i too am looking at this airplane...
Old 08-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Bullitt

The Venus looks really good except I really hate an inverted/cowled motor. It just complicates thing for me too much at this learning stage.

As far as my "pattern" flying, I think the description of "big loops" would be more accurate. I had a full fun fly competition capabilities when I quit but not pattern competition level. In further self-analysis, I want a sunday flier that will track a pattern but float enough to be the next step toward 3D, but not necessarily a fully 3D capable plane.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:26 PM
midnitedew

well, how about www.cermark.com they have a bobcat that is like $169 for the airplane, 46 engine , and servos!!! oh and its covered in ultracote with a good color scheme... thats one of the things that has been pissing me off with most of the ARF's who the hell is picking out the color schemes? looks like we need queer eye for the fly guy....
Old 08-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Bullitt

Midnightdew, that looks like a really good deal, but I went out to my LHS and Surprise Surprise they actually had the combination of components I decided on. I look at this as a sure sign from the flying gods, cause they usually have NOTHING in stock I want there. Ended up picking-up the Somethin' Extra and a Saito 72. I was originally going to put my OS 40 on it for a while, but they gave me a screaming deal on the combo, plus the extras I wanted to build it. Think the Saito 72 will give this thing some vertical? I just hope I can balance the thing with that 72 hanging off the front. Man I sure hope this combination works well.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:57 PM
midnitedew

it should be fun... wish i had the money wanna trade that extra and motor for an avistar with 40LA
Old 08-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Bullitt

Originally posted by midnitedew
it should be fun... wish i had the money wanna trade that extra and motor for an avistar with 40LA
Hey, I've been flying my Falcon 56 with an OS40FSR ABC since 1985 saving up for this! At least my last AMA card says 1985. They did give me my old number back, which I thought was really cool. :thumbup:
Old 08-31-2003, 12:56 AM
BotleRocketWar

The .72 will take the your Somethin' Extra vertical at about half throttle...

The .72 is the same weight as a BB .40 or .46... So balance will not be a problem. I still don't understand where everyone got the idea that the so-called "equivelant" four stroke is always heavier. Not the case!!

You're going to have a prop clearance problem with the Saito. There is no way to use a 13 inch prop with the standard landing gear and even 3 inch wheels. You're going to need new landing gear...

Speaking of balance...

The recommended point is VERY conservative. Depending on how you do end up flying it, you could end up with it two inches back. Even at 2.5 inches back from their recommendation I needed a bunch of down elevator for inverted flight. I still don't understand it.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:00 AM
BotleRocketWar

midnitedew,

Why would you want an O.S. .40 LA on anything?

That's one of the worst engines you can possibly buy...IMHO.

As far as Cermark ARF's, they are not real popular. There is a reason for this...Most are very heavy and not built that well. I had one and was NOT impressed. I've never known or heard about that Bobcat, but it can't be that great...
Old 08-31-2003, 01:26 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Default SE with Saito 72: great combo!

Hey I really like my SE with a Saito 72 on the nose. The landing gear does need some help with the 13X6 prop the 72 needs. I use Dubro landing gear for 30 to 50 size planes and 3 1/4 inch wheels. I set this combo up with ski's and flew all winter.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:28 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
midnitedew,

Why would you want an O.S. .40 LA on anything?

That's one of the worst engines you can possibly buy...IMHO.

As far as Cermark ARF's, they are not real popular. There is a reason for this...Most are very heavy and not built that well. I had one and was NOT impressed. I've never known or heard about that Bobcat, but it can't be that great...
well i bought a combo and it came with the 40LA i really feel that this engine gets a bad rap, it has enough power to do 2 outside loops in a row with my avistar , not to shabby for a cheap engine...
Old 08-31-2003, 01:39 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by midnitedew
well i bought a combo and it came with the 40LA i really feel that this engine gets a bad rap, it has enough power to do 2 outside loops in a row with my avistar , not to shabby for a cheap engine...
What a motor review :drowning:
Old 08-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Bullitt

I say, fly the best equipment you can afford. If the 40LA keeps him in the air and out of hock, then obviously he's chosen the right engine for himself. I fortuantely got five year 0% finanace and a $2000 rebate on my Saito.

I gather, with this motor and plane combination, and flying off a grass field, I'm going to need to install stilts? 1/2 throttle vertical, who needs landing gear? Oh, for the landing. :stupid:
Old 08-31-2003, 02:51 AM
midnitedew

again like i said, it came with the combo and im moving up to an aerobatic plane as soon as i get money, exactly why i got the combo in the first place.... im not rich....
Old 08-31-2003, 02:58 AM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

I have never had one bit of problems out of my OS .40LA engine. Its not a real powerhouse but it is a good reliable engine that has never quit on me in the air, and I have touched the needle valve maybe 3 times this whole summer. Hows that for a so called crappy engine.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:59 AM
Bullitt

I'm thinking if he got the LA as a package deal, he may have more than made-up the $5 difference. Apparently he is satisifed with it's performance. Perhaps he may be able to do more than 2 outside loops with it, but thought that this was a sufficient test to prove it's worthyness in his application of the motor. On the otherhand, it is my opinion that people who use AOL need some additional guidance. I bet your perfectly happy with using AOL, but I wouldn't use it if the world depended on it. Get my drift?
Old 08-31-2003, 03:02 AM
midnitedew

Originally posted by Bullitt
I'm thinking if he got the LA as a package deal, he may have more than made-up the $5 difference. Apparently he is satisifed with it's performance. Perhaps he may be able to do more than 2 outside loops with it, but thought that this was a sufficient test to prove it's worthyness in his application of the motor. On the otherhand, it is my opinion that people who use AOL need some additional guidance. I bet your perfectly happy with using AOL, but I wouldn't use it if the world depended on it. Get my drift?
i have comcast broadband and AOl bring your own access cause my brother like the chat rooms ......
Old 08-31-2003, 05:00 AM
BotleRocketWar

I've edited my posts...

We can continue this in the beginners forum if anybody wants...I'm all for it.

The O.S. LA debate will never end, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
rc_monster

Default RE: Super Sportster vs Somethin' Extra

Get the Somethin' Extra...It's the best!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Super Sportster vs Somethin' Extra

I can't believe I could have taken the name "Bullitt" on here, I thought for sure it'd be gone when I joined... Steve McQueen rules!

I have had a couple SE's and they are just great all around airplanes! They land nice and slow, tip stalls are mellow with a std CG, and the engine is upright with easy access (You mentioned that-)

But the SE can also do quite a bit of aerobatics and a tad of 3D- In other words it can take you from being 2nd plane right up to getting a full 3D capable ship! And remember 3D is easier on a profile/fun-fly than it is on the SE, so when you upgrade to the Brotherhood flying a prof. will only take minor adjustments... (They fly much better!)

Good luck and keep us posted!

BTW- The Sportster IS BORING if you wanna do anything but mild aerobatics, they are nice sport fliers but thats it... Kinda like a 4*40/60 they fly great but are limited when attempting the cool stuff! many folks think that because they cannot "3D" their 4*/Sportster/ Uglystick that they couldn't do it on a profile either--- usually they are wrong!

You need the right tool for the job, a Morris Top-Cap and Irvine-53 w/Tower muffler or YS-63 is what I am thinking of...Down the road for ya'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.