Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

36 inch Profile plane Going Glow

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

36 inch Profile plane Going Glow

Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Evo2RadRc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36 inch Profile plane Going Glow

Hay guys could use some help never used a glow yet what would be a good 3D engine and size. Something with quick throttle response and power for a 36 Balsa Profile.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Which plane do you have?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Evo2RadRc

A scratch built , I built it similar to a Primo but a mojo .25 size and weight. 34oz
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Dave McDonald

3D profile planes the size and weight of a Mojo 25 end up flying a LOT better with electric power instead of glow power. There is no glow engine available at any price to compete with electric power in that size range.

The problem is that if you use a glow engine that gives a Mojo 25 a good power to weight ratio for 3D, then the engine weight raises the wing loading to an unacceptable high level for 3D flying. If you use an engine light enough to keep the wing loading to an acceptable level, then it won't have enough power for 3D flying.

If you absolutely insist on using a glow engine in your plane, then look for an old Norvel bushing 25. It still won't be able to compete with an electric power system, but the Norvel 25 will give you the best overall performance with a glow engine.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Evo2RadRc

Thank You I have been watching your videos on U Tube I will go with your advise and drop the glow power until I move up to a larger plane. I have a NTM 3536/1400kv motor ,10x5 apc prop, Hobby wing 60amp ESC and Nano Tech 2200 3s lipo. I had this in my 41 inch 3DHS Extra 540 with 4 12gr Corona servos. What are your thoughts about this set up on this plane.Motor puts out 510 on 3s w-10x5 and 540 w 11x5 on 3s. Weight on this package is ( Electronics) 445gr/16oz. Reweighed flying weight is 36.68 oz.Would greatly value your opinion on this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1949354  

Last edited by Evo2RadRc; 12-20-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Dave McDonald

I'm not an expert on electric power systems for 3D planes. You will need to go to the probro site to find those guys. But since your electric setup came out of a 41" 3DHS Extra, it should work even better in a Mojo 25 size plane, including the servos. If you can run the 11x5 prop without over amping any part of your power system, then that prop should work best. You will need a wattmeter to find that out for sure.

Keep in mind that the Mojo 25 is an old design that came out before electric power was an option. Back then we flew those planes with OS 25FP, Norvel 25, and similar engines. Today it just doesn't make sense to use those engines in a 3D plane, or nearly any other plane for that matter.

If you watched my video of the Sabre 35, it is almost exactly the same size as a Mojo 25. But the Sabre 35 only weighs 24 ounces ready to fly including a 3S 1500 lipo. At 24 ounces it only needs a Super Tigre .10 electric motor to make it a great flying 3D profile. If the Sabre 35 was 12 ounces heavier, a lot of that great 3D performance would disappear.

If you watched my Wild Tiger videos, I would consider that plane to be the smallest plane where glow power is still an option. (The new Primo 25 is basically the same plane but with a "Primo" style fuselage and tail.) As of today, I'd consider an engine such as an OS 40FP or a Thunder Tiger 42GP to be the smallest glow engines worth putting in a 3D profile.......and that's only if you use a Mousse Can Pipe to boost the power to an acceptable level. Any plane smaller or heavier than the Wild Tiger will perform better with electric power.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Evo2RadRc

Thank You I will stick to the electrics. The Pro Bros site is where I will take it. Ya Looking for a great 3D performance with that extra power to weight ratio. Mine always seen to be more on the heavy side. With a mid power range. Thanks again and happy flying. Oh one last thing tried to register at probros and can't get past that confirmation question. Is their some sort of catch to that. Nothing seems to work. Have a great evening I have a much better understanding of it all now. I'll keep trying on the brotherhood site.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM
hjcg08

Originally Posted by Evo2RadRc
Thank You I will stick to the electrics. The Pro Bros site is where I will take it. Ya Looking for a great 3D performance with that extra power to weight ratio. Mine always seen to be more on the heavy side. With a mid power range. Thanks again and happy flying. Oh one last thing tried to register at probros and can't get past that confirmation question. Is their some sort of catch to that. Nothing seems to work. Have a great evening I have a much better understanding of it all now. I'll keep trying on the brotherhood site.
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
I'm not an expert on electric power systems for 3D planes. You will need to go to the probro site to find those guys. But since your electric setup came out of a 41" 3DHS Extra, it should work even better in a Mojo 25 size plane, including the servos. If you can run the 11x5 prop without over amping any part of your power system, then that prop should work best. You will need a wattmeter to find that out for sure.

Keep in mind that the Mojo 25 is an old design that came out before electric power was an option. Back then we flew those planes with OS 25FP, Norvel 25, and similar engines. Today it just doesn't make sense to use those engines in a 3D plane, or nearly any other plane for that matter.

If you watched my video of the Sabre 35, it is almost exactly the same size as a Mojo 25. But the Sabre 35 only weighs 24 ounces ready to fly including a 3S 1500 lipo. At 24 ounces it only needs a Super Tigre .10 electric motor to make it a great flying 3D profile. If the Sabre 35 was 12 ounces heavier, a lot of that great 3D performance would disappear.

If you watched my Wild Tiger videos, I would consider that plane to be the smallest plane where glow power is still an option. (The new Primo 25 is basically the same plane but with a "Primo" style fuselage and tail.) As of today, I'd consider an engine such as an OS 40FP or a Thunder Tiger 42GP to be the smallest glow engines worth putting in a 3D profile.......and that's only if you use a Mousse Can Pipe to boost the power to an acceptable level. Any plane smaller or heavier than the Wild Tiger will perform better with electric power.
I came across this and thought It was kinda funny I have been flying profiles for a few years now...i have 3 46 sized balsa profiles all three have os max46 size engines on them I love all of them my favorite out of the 3 is my Katana V2 profile with a 48 inch wing span fly's like a dream and will sit there and hoover forever with no problems at all will go straight up like a rocket then I also have a couple little profiles one is a mojo 25 size I have a thunder tiger. 25 engine on it thing fly's like a dream as well and it Hoover's amazing and will pull straight up like a rocket as well not sure what the wing span is on it probably 28 somewhere in that range then I have another profile not sure what model or who makes it might just be home made but someone did a good job on it the construction and the monocote but anyways it had a .25 size brushless motor on it I hated it it flew decent but the motor was just too heavy for it especially that lipo pack that was in it I could barley get it to hoover it was just too heavy so I decided to scrap the motor and throw on an os Max 20 on it and now it is a powerhouse actually goes much faster and I can now hoover the os 20 max engine was actually much lighter than the 25 sized brush less motor was!! Believe it or not the glow engine is a much better power source for the plane and I love it so that goes to show glow is usually better than electric plus I don't have to wait hours to charge up batteries all's I have to do is fill it back up with fuel and that takes about 10 seconds and another 20 to turn transmitter and plane back on and start it and I'm on my way for another 20 minutes Way better than the 10 minutes flight I was getting out of a 2500 lips!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Dave McDonald

Originally Posted by hjcg08
I came across this and thought It was kinda funny I have been flying profiles for a few years now...i have 3 46 sized balsa profiles all three have os max46 size engines on them I love all of them my favorite out of the 3 is my Katana V2 profile with a 48 inch wing span fly's like a dream and will sit there and hoover forever with no problems at all will go straight up like a rocket then I also have a couple little profiles one is a mojo 25 size I have a thunder tiger. 25 engine on it thing fly's like a dream as well and it Hoover's amazing and will pull straight up like a rocket as well not sure what the wing span is on it probably 28 somewhere in that range then I have another profile not sure what model or who makes it might just be home made but someone did a good job on it the construction and the monocote but anyways it had a .25 size brushless motor on it I hated it it flew decent but the motor was just too heavy for it especially that lipo pack that was in it I could barley get it to hoover it was just too heavy so I decided to scrap the motor and throw on an os Max 20 on it and now it is a powerhouse actually goes much faster and I can now hoover the os 20 max engine was actually much lighter than the 25 sized brush less motor was!! Believe it or not the glow engine is a much better power source for the plane and I love it so that goes to show glow is usually better than electric plus I don't have to wait hours to charge up batteries all's I have to do is fill it back up with fuel and that takes about 10 seconds and another 20 to turn transmitter and plane back on and start it and I'm on my way for another 20 minutes Way better than the 10 minutes flight I was getting out of a 2500 lips!
Like you, I once had a Katana V2 with a 46, except it was a TT Pro 46 and a MCP. Later that got replaced by a Webra 50, which later got replaced with an OS 55AX. It flew 3D fine with all of these engines, but it flew 3D best with the OS 55AX. I don't disagree with you that a 46 powered 3D profile is still viable option. But if your Mojo 25 and the other unknown profile both flew better with a glow 25 engine than an electric power system, then you had the wrong electric power system on those two planes.