Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP 540FF Landing Gear?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP 540FF Landing Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 540FF Landing Gear?

Starting to build the OMP540FF-What is the lightest landing gear for this bird.I know many use the Dubro,anything else out there and where to purchase.Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:30 AM
hroachen

Default RE: OMP 540FF Landing Gear?

I had a set of Jeff Williams carbon fibre gear on my Extreme 330, they were light and very tough. I liked them so much I got another set for my OMP. I've also used the DuBros, and they're nice, but the carbons sit a bit taller and win out in the looks department.

D
Old 10-17-2003, 07:20 AM
akahoverit
My Feedback: (2)

I broke 2 pairs of Jeffs CF gear, so I put the stock wire gear on mine and it's fine, I'll put krazy legs on the next one.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
jldecarlo

The stock wire gear bent and was heavy. It also interferred with muffler placement. I have the DuBro on mine (black version) and it has held up to a year of heavy flying. CF gear or krazy legs are your only other options.

I like the krazy legs - I recently bought a pair for an Aeroworks giant profile, and I have a CF pair for a Sledge in the works, but I haven't flown either of them. My impression is that the Krazy legs will be tougher, but the CF lighter (and cooler).

Leonard
Old 10-17-2003, 04:13 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I'm using the stock wire L.G. It was considerably lighter than Tetherlite Crazy Legs. Only problem is the stance needs to be a little wider.
Pro Bro #229
Old 10-20-2003, 09:42 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

I need to start a poll of all our profilers out there regarding the OMP FF540P gear. The Kit comes with prebent 5/32 gear which has some good advantages over profile gear. It is lighter (I've weighed it against the nylon gear) and it gives in all direction thus putting less wear and tear on the fuselage. The Profile gear looks better and doesn't bend as easily but can break and tear up the fuselage more on hard landings. So what do folks prefer: the wire gear or say Tetherite gear?

Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

edgeman55-RCu, I sell the Carbon fiber gear for 40 size profiles and have several sets on the OMP edge 40 size. If you have a pair of Carbon fiber gear that breaks for no reason I will replace them. I have found that most fliers say the gear breaking has usually saved a fuselage. They are the lightest gear you can attain and have incredible strength. If you are interested email me at [email protected] and I will provide additional information. Jeff Williams
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

I guess I could use a carbon gear on mine -the wire works but I could use some nose weight ,as when Im inverted It does consecutive outside loops!and needs about a quarter stick of down to fly level
Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 PM
jldecarlo

The Kit comes with prebent 5/32 gear which has some good advantages over profile gear. It is lighter (I've weighed it against the nylon gear)
The black DuBro gear was slightly lighter than the stock gear on mine. I built my OMP Edge about a year ago, so I don't remember how much lighter. It has stood up to a lot of flying, but few hard landings (once the plane is trimmed and you are used to it, there won't be many hard landings).

The CF gear wasn't available when I built the OMP edge, but I have a set for the Sledge that's in the works.

Leonard
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Ballistic1, you have a CG or alignment problem if that airplane is doing that. The airplane will fly handsoff either way if setup properly. Jeff W.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
ballistic1

Hey Jeff, Oh its definitely CG- its back about 3 inches from spec. all I can say is its a BLAST!!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:36 AM
AFSalmon

That's ballistic Ballistic1! You probably have the record for the furthest aft cg on the OMP Edge! Do you mean 1/4 stick up just to hold inverted? Giving it down will help it pull tighter outside loops. I'm beginning to think folks would like an upgrade on the stock wire gear?

Mike
Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

I've been using the Wire gear for probably over 100 flights. It has saved my Fuse 3 or 4 times, but it seemed in the beginning I was always having trouble keeping the fasteners attached to the gear through the Fuse. The Tiny screws would just pull out after a few harrier landings. I've since moved to some "heavier" wood screws to hold the gear on, now the wire will bend before ripping out. If/When I build my next OMP I would use some hardwood around the gear regardless to give those screws a little bit more to bite into. I can tell they are just biting into the hardwood plate around the front of the plane because my fuse has slightly separted on the bottom of the plane.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
ballistic1

AFSALMON- yes 1/4 stick of back elavator for level inverted flight -very unnatural!!!but-hovers forever and the plane does a awsome inverted flat spin w/ just rudder & throttle -actually climbs, it is however difficult to land -as you have to push to keep it comming down
I actually intended to put my YS 63 on it but I had a MVVS 49 collecting dust so thats what I put on and hence my severe aft C.G. problem
Old 10-22-2003, 08:55 AM
AFSalmon

ParticleMan,

The best way to secure the gear is to run 4-40 bolts and nylock nuts all the way through the fuse to the other side. Wood screws will definately pull out given the dumb things us profilers do with these planes.

Ballistic1, so what happens if you add up elevator when doing the flat spins? If it already climbs then I guess it will go ballistic! ha ha. Sounds like a handful.

Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 03:53 PM
ifly04

I am building my edge now and am getting ready to vocer the fuse what should I do up front if I am goingt to use the dubro landing gear of possiably the cf gear I was going to put a hardwood block up front is that enough
thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

You don't want a hollow fuselage in between the gear mounting legs.
Make sure there is some hardwood or hard balsa behind the sheeting.
Just plan ahead for whatever type of gear you might be using.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

I have 2 OMP 540 have dubro white nylon profile .40 size gear. I made my own axe shafts using 2- 10-32 machine screws and 4 10-32 nuts that you can get at the hardware store(much lighter than the dubro style). Then I went with dubros foam ultra light wheels 1-3/4" This makes a great combo. Just make sure you use thread lock on the axle nuts. I have used both planes all year no issues!

I would recommend installing battery pack and receiver aft behind the hacthes instead of in the front wing compartments. This keeps the weight more aft allowing you to ballance the airplane by moving the engine further out on the motor rails. After building the two airplanes both ways I found that the craft performs better with the weight in the rear.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:12 AM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike;
You might want to post a pic. to show what your asking about!
Just a thot!
ray
Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
ballistic1

Ballistic1, so what happens if you add up elevator when doing the flat spins? If it already climbs then I guess it will go ballistic! ha ha. Sounds like a handful.

Mike

Well Mike I tried and it pops out of the spin, so
I put 5.5 oz of stick on weight on the nose . after flying I found that while inverted it still climbs -about a 1/8 stick of back elevator is needed for level flite
and what I found is strange is that it hovers and torque rolls so much better now -even in the wind! I am at a loss to explain this as I allways thought a aft C.G.
made hovering and torque rolling easyer??
also noticed very little roll coupling when in knife edge so I think the weight will stay on or put a heaver motor on .
I have to tell you that THIS is the best profle I have ever flown !
Frank
Pro Bro 272
Old 10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I have been running Jeff Williams CF gear and it has been fine. She does land so nicely that it doesn't really take any hard hits.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:15 PM
JLS
My Feedback: (19)

I just received the Graph Tech gear and it looks very nice. I haven't tried it yet but It feels very strong and light. The finish is perfect.