Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Ultracote Or Monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.
View Poll Results: A poll
Monokote
44.04%
Ultracote
51.38%
Other
4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Ultracote Or Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering choice

Windex + Ultracote = slippery Ultracote

It only works when Monokote is the covering being stuck down, but it will stick Monokote to any smooth surface. Just be patient, and let it get all the way dry.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:33 PM
robb_h

Things I don't like about Ultracote:
1. The backing is much thicker than Monokote, and it constantly unravels from the tubes. Monokote always stays put on the tubes.
2. Ultracote has a gritty, "fingernails on the chalkboard" feel when running over it with an iron. Yes, I can still feel it thru an iron sock.
3. Monokote colors are better. Chip Hyde also agrees!

Robb
Old 01-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Big_3Dan

Bobb,

I agree with you on those things. I use both really..but I find ultracote is just easier to handle on some situations...plus they have wider color selection of trasparents than Monokote..plus the trans look more like trasparents than monokote..both are good I would say..a plus for monokote is the covering shine, it really is smoother..
Old 01-14-2004, 09:07 PM
robb_h

I'll have to try Ultracote's transparent colors, as I've heard before that they're better. Monokote's transparents go on well, and look good initially. However, they tend to get brittle and puncture easily. Clear transparent does the best job of patching the holes.

When it comes to foam, Ultracote has it hands down. I threw out all of my Econocote. It looks good going on; however, the clear film seems to pull away from the color in little time.

Robb