Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monokote

48 44.04%
  • Ultracote

56 51.38%
  • Other

5 4.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ultracote Or Monokote?

Last 2 planes i have built i have covered half Monokote half Ultracote ( it seems that ultra has a wider color variety in some colors) and i have to say you really notice a difference when covering with the ultra stuff it's way easier and shrinks a lot easier and better than monokote...what do you guys preffer over all in Covering???
    If it works, tear it apart and find out why!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ultracote Or Monokote?

h 9 ultra cote its liter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used oracover on the last plane i built. I have used it before and find it easier to work with than monocoat. Its also lighter than monocoat but not sure if its lighter than ultracoat.
    http://webpages.charter.net/flyboy10/

Dave Mathewson for AMA President 2005

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oracover IS ultracoat, every once in awile you will actually see "oracover" on the backside of the paper covering on Ultracoat
    Biplane bro!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Constrictor is right on. Ultracote and Oracover are the same thing!

My personal preference is Monokote, but I like Ultracote too.

It really depends on the colors on the bird as to which one I use.
    Proud Member of the 1% RC Community!

Sanity is Highly Over-rated!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I prefer monokote. Both work very well but, to me the monokote has a shinier finish on it. Ultracote is easier to work with. Again both are top shelf coverings...

Shane
    Famous last words: HEY!!! WATCH THIS!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If Oracover == Ultracote, then what is "Low-Temperature Oracover"? Link
    Note Hobby Lobby is very specific this stuff is not the same as the "classic" Oracover.
    Anyone use this stuff? Any good? Price is right...
    -- Marty

Oracover makes several grades of covering. Visit www.oracover.de for more information. Oracover=Ultracote.
    EXTREME FLIGHT RC
    State-of-the-art Aerobatic Aircraft and Accessories

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The last model i covered was actually covered with the oracover "light" low temp, should have been more clear about that in my previous post. YES i like it, saved me 3 oz's on a wing compared to yellow neon monocoat...ive heard the neons and mettalics are the heaviest colors.
    http://webpages.charter.net/flyboy10/

Dave Mathewson for AMA President 2005

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bout the neon colors being heavier makes sense since it seems they need a white background to show well on the covering ( not sure bout metalic never used it). If you look at the neon colors they have a white backround unlike regular colors that are the same color both sides. That backround could easly weight 3 more oz.
    If it works, tear it apart and find out why!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My favorite is Ultracote, but sealing Ultracote on plywood just doesn't seem to work.[X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: <span class=

Both covering are good but a prefer monocote saludos goldoo jejeje soy el maldito

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been told that monokote will add more strength to your model than ultracote will. While I've only used Monokote, I would be willing to use ultracote if I could clarify the strength issue. Any takers?
    Anyone who says \"I don\'\'t crash,\" doesn\'\'t fly or is lying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John, actually its the other way around, Ultracoat is 10 times the stength of monocoat. Back when i used monocoat when i barely hit the weeds i would come with a bunch of holes in the wing covering. on ultracoat i have yet to knock a hole in the covering with weeds. On my GAPP diamond dust they said right in the manual that ultracoat is the only covering strong enuf to withstand the speed and stress of this fast plane.Ultracoat is a lower temperature covering than monocoat so newcomers to ultra have a habit of setting the iron too hot and shrinking the edges back, ultra shrinks an incredible amount but if you seal all the endges down really good first, you can turn the iron all the way hot in the middle and it will handle the heat too. Once you have turned up the heat and been able to get huge wrinkles out of ultracoat, and really smoothed out a compound curve you will love ultracoat. I do think the colors are more solid and shiney with monocoat tho
    Biplane bro!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ORACOVER = ULTRACOTE

ULTRACOTE is the US name for the GERMAN product ORACOVER, which is worldwide patented. The covering, HOBBY LOBBY is selling under the name "Low-Temperature ORACOVER" is N O T ORACOVER, and it is N O T manufactured by the ORACOVER factory. All the features of ORACOVER can be found in their homepage: www.oracover.de or www.oracover.biz
    Whatever you find written there is valid for ULTRACOTE and ORACOVER, but N O T for the covering HOBBY LOBBY is selling, because it is N O T ORACOVER.

Pilot 01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ORACOVER = ULTRACOTE

Top Flight monokote (just my 2cents)
    Josh
    Plane- A lot Truck- RC Monsoon, DTX Warhead & CC, T-maxx 3.3, TL LST2, AE MGT8 Heli- Esky HBK2, FHH 480, HK450, HK500

For a great and scientific evaluation of Monokote and Ultracote (with Colortex thrown in), check out this article by James Goss: Monokote or Ultracote?. Scroll down to find the covering article.

Its tough for a die-hard Monokote guy like me to admit it, but it looks like Ultracote is the winner with a small weight penalty.
    Martin
    AMA: 240487

\"I don\'t chew my cabbage twice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Constrictor

John, actually its the other way around, Ultracoat is 10 times the stength of monocoat. Back when i used monocoat when i barely hit the weeds i would come with a bunch of holes in the wing covering. on ultracoat i have yet to knock a hole in the covering with weeds. On my GAPP diamond dust they said right in the manual that ultracoat is the only covering strong enuf to withstand the speed and stress of this fast plane.Ultracoat is a lower temperature covering than monocoat so newcomers to ultra have a habit of setting the iron too hot and shrinking the edges back, ultra shrinks an incredible amount but if you seal all the endges down really good first, you can turn the iron all the way hot in the middle and it will handle the heat too. Once you have turned up the heat and been able to get huge wrinkles out of ultracoat, and really smoothed out a compound curve you will love ultracoat. I do think the colors are more solid and shiney with monocoat tho

I second that!

When I bought my Knife kit, they recomended ultracote for strength reasons...........well, I didn't listen and covered everything with monocote except the bottom of the wing, aeilerons, and elevator/hor. stab, which were covered with ultracote.

This "trying to learn how to hover" thing, is hard on a plane to say the least, after the first hard "landing", the pretty looking monocote on the fuse "snapped", as well as consecutive "hard landings" (ie;crash[&o]) all ended up in popping open the monocote, where as the ultracote stayed in tact (I'm not talking failing just at joints, but the covering itself failing, cracking, snapping open, however you want to say it?)!

Conclusion>

Ultracote is MUCH stronger that monocote, and just might save your plane when playing turf-tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ultracote versus Monokote strength. Strength is relative. I'd bet the actual tensile strength of monokote is a quite bit higher than Ultracote. The bad thing is that Monokote is very brittle. It will shatter in a crash rather than just stretch and absorb the energy.
    I prefer the appearance of Monokote but the like the workability of Ultracote much better. The white Ultracote is a lot more transparent compared to Monokote white. I don't know about the other colors.
    Back in the 80's I flew a lot of CL combat. Most used Fascal to cover their planes with then. The stuff was heavier than Monokote and only available in clear at the time but it was unbelievably strong. It also took paint very well with proper prep. Only downside was it had sticky adhesive. It was a real bear to work with till you got used to it. I made fixtures to hold the sheets while I postioned them on my wings. I wouldn't mind having some now for my profiles. It would make the wings tougher than nails. More than once I had stuck a D-tube style slo-combat plane straight in around 90mph, clean out the venturi, restart and launch again.
    Bamsntdweller
    Proud brother of the Profile persuasion!
    I got all cross****ed and turfed it, AGAIN!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know which has the best mirror reflective chrome like color.

A friend is looking for a new material to put on custom fishing lures.

Thanks, Dennis
    DENNIS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Covering choice

Monokote Chrome is awesome, by the way.

As for strength, I say Ultracote. Especially when temperature is an issue. Monokote does not do well in the cold, as it is very brittle. I've seen planes land with cracked covering when flying in the Wisconsin winter. Ultracote bounces off things that would poke a hole in Monokote.

As for general use, I like Ultracote as a base color OK, but Monokote+Windex makes for some real nice trim work.

Ultracote seems to resonate more in flight. My Ultimate hade quite a noise in flight. I've not experienced Monokote doing that.

Monokote metallics have some powdered aluminum in it, and is heavy. Regular Monokote and regular Ultracote are close in weight, but Ultracote is lighter.

Overall, I find myself using Monokote a bit more. I think maybe the Windex thing plus better color choices make the difference.

Does anyone know if the new paints match Ultracote any better now? I once called Goldberg complaining about a poor color match with Deep Blue. The person I spoke to said that she would gladly replace my can of paint, but it would probably not match either. She suggested Perfect Paint, which was, simply put, perfect. I hope the new colors are better now that Horizon is in control. Most Monokote colors match Lustercoat pretty good, except for the metallics.

Did I make a decision?
    Airplane Pimp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Covering choice

Hey man, that monokote chrome will blind you. I had a sudokhoi that I covered with that stuff and when the sun hit it....watch out....I wont do that agin on a plane...G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As for general use, I like Ultracote as a base color OK, but Monokote+Windex makes for some real nice trim work.
    I read the article on the flag design using windex and it looked pretty slick (no punn intended). Does this method not work for ultracote?

I too like ultracote for durability and ease of application. More than one manufacturer has insisted that ultracote be used on their planes.

William
    PRO BRO #540
    William McClooney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have successfully used monocoat trim on ultracoat base with windex (see bottom of wing in my gallery). They tell me that ultracoat wont stick on top. Also, I just sealed the edges with heat. Haven't lost a piece yet.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ultracote all the way, lighter stronger and easier !!!! Rad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast