Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Foam Hots -- WITH VIDEO

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Foam Hots -- WITH VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Hots -- WITH VIDEO

I started this before Christmas, but I am now just getting around to finishing it. It's a very quick build and should be fun to fly while I am building my Burrito.

My building process is being documented on my website:
[link=http://quicker.rchomepage.com/foam_flat_wing_funfly.html]http://quicker.rchomepage.com/foam_flat_wing_funfly.html[/link]

Here's a sample pic of the airframe. At this point eh airframe weight is 1lb 4 oz:

I will cover it in sign vinyl tonight and get the control surfaces on. I'm going to cover it with sign vinyl so I don't take the chance of ruining the foam with an iron.

It is very similar to southern_touch9's foam Yak. In fact in another thread he posted some dimensions and they were almost identical to mine. Great minds think alike I guess
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1331964/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1331964]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1331964/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1331964[/link]

I am changing the CAD file as I go, but I keep the current version on my website. If you download the plans, remember, this is a work-in-progress. Just post here with questions and we will work them out together.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
novabill

Default RE: Foam Hots

I like it.

The cool thing about the foam plate construction, is you have limitless possibilities on design and like you said it's a guick build. I think i'll try one.

William
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
novabill

Hey quicker,

Now, you have got me thinking[sm=idea.gif]

I was going to build a spa3d with a profile fuse using 2 peices of 2 mm sandwiching a peice of 3/4" white styro which is somewhat less weight than the blue, but not as strong. I also have 5- 5/37" cf tubes I was going to use instead of MW in the flutes.

Since I have all the supplies, I was thinking I could build it out of white foam and sheet the whole thing with 1/16, or 1/32 balsa and cap all the edges with balsa. This would allow the use of low heat covering and make for a good looking plane. I could use the CF for stiffeners in the wing and fuse. This sounds like alot of work, but when it comes to building, I really dont mind.

What do you think.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Quicker

You know the rule: You're idea, you spouted off, so now you gotta do it and post the results. Sounds interesting. I think it will work.

For now, I'm just gonna work on this idea as a quick building, light airframe for me to perfect my yet to be released 3D flying skills. This will most definitely just be the 1st in a long line of planes
Old 01-21-2004, 12:37 PM
novabill

Trying to develop my 3D also and thinking it'll be alot of work. What the heck, I start this weekend and and post on mon. Please keep this thread going or keep your site updated as It is a great guide and appreciated greatly.

William
Old 01-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Quicker

Got some more done tonight. We had unexpected company most of the evening, so I didn't get as far as I wanted.

Check out my website for details
[link=http://quicker.rchomepage.com/foam_flat_wing_funfly.html]http://quicker.rchomepage.com/foam_flat_wing_funfly.html[/link]

Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Quicker

I got a PM that had some valid points, so I am sharing some of it here:

If as I look at your pics I see only a flat foamcore wing then you will have severe flex and perhaps catastrophic wing failure even with strapping reinforcement.
You are correct here, but it does have 2 spars. I have a 3/16 dowl on the top and bottom of the wing. It is pretty strong. The foam yak was also made with a flat, no airfoil wing.

'I see that you have a fuse stiffner and while thats good it will not stop the tail surfaces from wiggling on you in resonance to your motor. Your fuse would do better with a top and bottom stiffner on the fuse for better rigidity
I agree. I had planned on doing that, but wanted to speed up the build process. Last night I noticed the flexing, so I will be putting that on tonight and taking off the fuse spars.

Third if your using a 40 or better on this plane please proceed with caution no fast forward flying or you will have disintigration.
I'm gonna prop it with an 11x4 or maybe even a 12x3 if I can find one to cut the speed down. I want to 3D, not pylon race

-----------------------------------------------------

These were very valid points and well worth sharing. I will be changing the fuse reinforcement tonight. If this wing does not work out well, I already have another wing build that is blue fan fold foam wrapped over a hardwood spar that looks very promising.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 AM
novabill

Ouicker,

Covering looks great and will probably add a good bit of rigidity. Keep it up cant wait for a flight report.

William
Old 01-22-2004, 09:38 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Beautiful, BUT now you have to kit it. =It must be light with all he components in. Let us know what the AUW is when it is done =)

Dan
Old 01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Quicker

Beautiful, BUT now you have to kit it.
Thanks, but not at this time. I have family responsibilities at this time. Maybe later on in my life I'll have time for such things. If this plane works out I just want everybody to download the plans and build one and post the pictures and video.

So far the total cost of this project is a $9 sheet of foam, 2 yardsticks and some scrap wood. I had the covering laying around from past projects.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Quicker

I made a MAJOR structural change today. I took off the 2 yardstick fuse "spars" and put a cap around the fuse edge, all the way around the fuse. This was made from yardstick, so it's 3/16 thick and I cut it to 3/4 inch wide....then same thickness as the foam. This is much stronger and the tail doesn't flex nearly as much as it did before. You can see it in these pics.

I also got some more covering done. I hope to have it all covered in my next session tomorrow night.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:07 AM
Quicker

Got the top covering finished and I mounted the landing gear. I need to take them off and cut them down. It has crazy legs syndrome. I need to find out my ProBro # so I can finish the bottom of the wings. I'd like to so that off a bit.

I hope to mount all of the gear and engine Sunday night.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:18 AM
novabill

Hey Quicker,

It's looking great. I cant wait to hear how it flys. Any idea as to what the AUW will be?

I am going to start hacking on my foam today.

William
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Quicker

I just put the airframe, 5 servos, receiver, battery, wheels and my motor (MDS 40) on the scale and it was 4lbs straight up. I think when I actually get it ready to go (weight always sneeks in someplace) it will be closer to 4.5 lbs, which was my goal.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Quicker

novabillss :

Did you get anything built this weekend? I got the engine mounted, but I didn't do anything else. We got 10 inches of snow, ontop of ice, so I din't feel the need to get it flight ready I might try to get the servos on tonight and mount the tank.

I am going to cut the control horns from light ply. I can't remember the thickness of the scraps I have, but I think it is 3/16. I will cut slots in the foam control surfaces and epoxy the horns in. I thought about using standard horns screwed to a ply plate that is epoxied onto the foam, but that idea scares me a bit. I have visions of them pulling off.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:52 PM
novabill

We had an ice storm over the weekend and I feel for you.

I think with the white foam, I need to use my hotwire cause when I tried cutting it I had a mess. I just dont have a power source for it yet. I do have my templates done though. It's going to be an edge 540. For horns, I was thinking of using blocks in the surface with 3/32 screws as horns and those peices that screw on and attach to the clevice. I'm a little nervous about the weight with all the balsa, but if it comes out too heavy, I wont be out but $17 worth of materials and I'll have a cool looking model to hang from the ceiling.

I have'nt decided what to do for power yet, but for radio gear it will get the GWS mighty mini servos and a NMH batt to save some weight. I heard the Webra .50 was a really light engine and It would be perfect for some of my near future projects.

William
Old 01-28-2004, 02:28 PM
novabill

Quicker,

It's been a couple days. Hows the progress?

I think I have solved the foam cutting problem[8D]. I just ordered a Hobico hot knife. Looks like a soldering iron with an x-acto blade on it. Should be perfect for thin foam and alot easier than the bow.

Let me know how yours is doin.

William
Old 01-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Quicker

We got 15 inches of snow with 20 below windchill. I lost my desire to get it in the air and went snowmobiling

I have the motor on and I'll put the radio in tonight.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

I can't wait to hear how your Hots flies! I bought a sheet of the blue foam insulation with the intention of building something with it, but never have. Keep us posted on how it flies.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Quicker

I'll take some current pics tonight. I have the motor mounted and the radio gear installed, but we just got another 12 inches of snow yesterday...on top of the 15 we got last Sunday. The temp has been -20 to about 5 above. We did have one day that was around 20 degrees, but the wind was blowing. The snow in my back yard is literally up to the top of my patio table. I can just see the tops of the chairs.

The forecast for this week shows a couple of days that are supposed to be around 20. If the wind is down I'll get my wife or my flying buddy to take some video of the maiden.

Last winter we had very little snow. I got spoiled since I was flying all the time. This just sucks.

novabill:
White foam is lighter, but it is a mess. I try not to use it anymore. My wife nearly divorced me after my last white foam plane. We had little white beads EVERYWHERE. This blue foam and pink foam sands to shape like soft balsa and is light enough for me.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:32 PM
novabill

yeah, i'n thinkin the blue stuff too
Old 02-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Razorback58

Geez, and we're complaining about it being 40 degrees here in Arkansas! I wouldn't even leave the house if it got that cold here!

Would sure like some pics of the radio installation. I'd really like to do this, and my wife would love for me to use up that blue insulation that I've had laying around! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Quicker

I don't know what's up with rcsites.net, the place I host my website, so I'm putting these new pics on my COX account.

Here's the radio and motor installation pics. My weight is 4lbs 8oz. The battery is not shown, but is included in the weight. I'm still sliding it around to get a safe, slightly nose heavy CG for the 1st flights.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Razorback58

Dude, that looks awesome! I can't wait to hear how it flies! How have you attached all the servo wires? Also, what exactly is it that you covered this with? Is it just a sticky film, sort of like shelf paper?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Quicker

All the wires are run. The entire plane is covered in sign vinyl, which is self adhesive. I was scared to cover it in Monokote because I thought the heat would melt/damage the foam.

I get my sign vinyl from a local sign supply wholesaler. You can get it from a sign shop/retailer, but it will be more expensive. I get it for anywhere from $1.50 to $5.00 per yard for 15 inch wide rolls.

I ran the antenna along the bottom of the wing and covered that with red vinyl so you can't see it. All the servo wires were just ran on the surface and covered with the vinyl too.

The 2 "bubbles" on top of the wings are the tops of the servos sticking out the top. I covered them with little vinyl patches to make it looke cleaner.

To mount the control horns I make 1 1/2 inch squares from 3/16 ply and epoxied them to the foam. I then used wood screws to mount the horns onto those wood plates.

I still have the MAS 10x6 on the motor. I'm going to replace that with an APC 11x4 tonight and mount the tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.