Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Yak build

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:57 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: OMP Yak build

Pretty much finished the fuse construction last night. I need to put on the ply doublers and servo mounts and it will be time to build the tail feathers. To me, the foam fuse took about as long to build as the stick variety, but it was still easier. I think next time I'll use odorless CA instead of the poly glue, though.

Here's how I'm gonna cover mine....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15552.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	106204  
Old 02-29-2004, 10:21 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Do you need an OMP logo? If so just let me know how big you want it and how you want it. I can have it sent to a graphic shop if you want.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM
joebob

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Do you need an OMP logo? If so just let me know how big you want it and how you want it. I can have it sent to a graphic shop if you want.
I'd love to have a logo. Actually, one just like in the pic would be great. That's going to be the same color scheme I use. I have no imagination, so I have to copy someone else's ideas on stuff like this!
Old 02-29-2004, 03:33 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

How bout the Yak scheme that we have on the AeroFly Pro version. Have you seen that?
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
joebob

I only seen the top view of it. It looks good, but there's just something about the other one that I really like.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:05 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: AFSalmon

Dang Blackie, that may be a record for the longest RCU post!

Mike
I think you're right! Blackie gets my vote for the longest post!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:05 AM
john mc

If any of you guys need to get great graphics for your OMP planes I recommend Time to Climb graphics. He will be making all our graphics for our OMP planes here in Dayton. His graphic work won Toledo last year in the scale aerobatic division. He is a great guy and will work hard for all your custom graphic needs. You won't find anybody that will get your work out as fast as he can. His graphics are on the new 80- inch YAK at the OMP booth at Toledo this year so come buy and check it out. This plane is a show stopper. We will have a video of the GS YAK and the 92 inch 50 cc Edge playing at the OMP booth . Along with a Aerofly simulator available to use ,we will have one of the best boothes there,so stop by and tell us some of your OMP plane testimonials.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:06 AM
SMALLFLY-

probably gonna be a popular color scheme.
Here mine, only a few things left to do

John I'll see you at toledo. Im thinking I could use a few graphics to fill in the white area on the wings

Name:	Ge95965.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	106585  
Old 03-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Blackie

Nice Job smallfly, I sure wish you lived closer to be so you could instruct me on how its done.

Wade, thanks I'm scared to ask what type of award this brings for fear of what I will receive.

Blackie
Old 03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Blackie

ORIGINAL: john mc

If any of you guys need to get great graphics for your OMP planes I recommend Time to Climb graphics. He will be making all our graphics for our OMP planes here in Dayton. His graphic work won Toledo last year in the scale aerobatic division. He is a great guy and will work hard for all your custom graphic needs. You won't find anybody that will get your work out as fast as he can. His graphics are on the new 80- inch YAK at the OMP booth at Toledo this year so come buy and check it out. This plane is a show stopper. We will have a video of the GS YAK and the 92 inch 50 cc Edge playing at the OMP booth . Along with a Aerofly simulator available to use ,we will have one of the best boothes there,so stop by and tell us some of your OMP plane testimonials.
John, how does this work, is this something that OMP provides to us?

Thanks
Blackie
Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Smallfly,

I really like that covering scheme. Great job! I never added the yellow stripes on mine (got too hurried to fly!) but it really sets it off nice. Guess I'll go clean mine off and add those yellow stripes!

Mike
Old 03-01-2004, 08:55 PM
SMALLFLY-

OK Im done. 2 pics 1 top 1 bottom. I replaced 5 pieces of wood in this kit I deemed too heavy (you couldnt even stick your fingernail thru it) Everything else A1. Engine is a Magnum 91 XLS mounted pretty far forward as seen in pic. radical rc integrated chrage jack fit in to top of fuse just in front of canopy. Servos are MPI corleess 870 with a hitec 425 on the throttle. Lightweight h( wheels and a sullivan tail wheel with foamy tire. All up weight is 7 lbs 8 oz on a digital scale. A little heavier thatn what I would have wished for but about what I expected. I tried to build light whenever possible but a few ounces could be save off servo selection. I flew a friends over the weekend and It flew fantastic. It had an OS 120 4 stroke on it and had tons of power. at 7.5 lbs I will probably have to buy an ultrathrust muffler for the 91 but we will see. Anyway My buddies flew absolutely great, no knife edge roll or pitch hangs easy, I hope mine flies as well as Im sure mine must weigh a good 6 oz less with the lighter motor.
Pic1

Name:	Ge95742.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	106838  
Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
SMALLFLY-

Pic2 with my pretty lil wife hiding behind the plane.

Nuf said by me till I fly it this weekend

Name:	Ig12234.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	106839  
Old 03-01-2004, 09:55 PM
joebob

I'm really interested to hear how the plane performs on the Magnum. That's what I'm planning on using in mine, too.

Got the stab and elevator done tonight. So far, the weight of the fuse is 18oz and the stab and elevators are 3.5oz. Tomorrow, the fin and rudder and probably start on the wing.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:27 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Small fly,
Paul Swanson is flying a .60size sudukoi, and he said his weight if I remember correctly is 7 3/4lbs. He is flying it w/ a ST90 and moosecan. I built him a moosecan, header and everthing for him. He has no problem with pulling out of a hover.

If anybody is interested. I can build you just the moosecan for you. I will sell just the moosecan for $17.50 shipped by U.S. Postal service. Then you can buy the header pipe where ever you choose. If you do use a moosecan muffler on this plane just make sure you purchase the long one. The smaller one won't allow the moosecan to go below the wing.

I going to use a OS91FX and moosecan on my OMP YAK. JR4721 all around except on throttle. Hitec 225 on throttle. 6volt 1650mh NimH battery pack. I was hoping to achieve 7lbs even on this bird. I know my OS91FX and moosecan will launch a 7.5lb plane out for hover. So as long as it doesn't go over 7.5lbs I will be satisfied.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Blackie

I am real close to covering, I'll try and post some pics of mine here in the near future. Keep in mind mistakes were made due to this being my very first kit. All in all I think I did pretty well.

I plan on using a Saito 100 for the power plant. The very same one that I flew my AW Edge with. It's alread good and well broke in. I do however have an OS 91 in my inventory but I plan on placing it on my newly purchased UCANDO-3D. It took some thought but I figured the Yak could use the 100 more then the ucando. The 91 is already pumped with a perry so I'll be able to place the tank on the CG of the ucando.

Blackie
Old 03-02-2004, 07:38 AM
john mc

Blackie,If your asking if OMP will give you the graphic package, I'm sorry but the customer will have to pay for them. Even though the package shouldn't be that bad OMP would have to increase the cost of the kits if they included the graphics. Also you can custom match the colors of the graphics to match your color scheme of your plane when you call Time To Climb. Blaine Miller is the owner of Time To Climb. His number is 937-368-2225. I talked to him last night and he is going to get the graphic package together right away so he will have it ready when you call. He does awesome work.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Blackie

Default RE: RE: RE: RE: OMP Yak build

Ah! ok thanks but I'll pass, just checking. If such need for future personal use, I'll keep them in mind.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

M. Gramling - I would like to get one of your moose pipes - where do I send the money?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:51 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

stargazer I sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:00 PM
lino0-7
My Feedback: (5)

second flight

Name:	Zx71870.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	107470  
Old 03-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Blackie

Default RE: OMP Yak build

Please take a look at these pictures and tell me what you see wrong? I would also like to know how to fix it and make corrections so it will work.

Thanks
Blackie

Name:	Ig12707.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	107655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96484.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	107656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88556.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	107657  
Old 03-04-2004, 08:38 AM
SMALLFLY-

unbolt the carb and turn it around so the needle is up and the linkage is down. What else do you think is wrong You will also need to move it out a little to get it to balance but you can do that at the end when it's almost done
Old 03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Blackie

Smallfly that just might work, depending on alignment. I would have to then flip the throttle arm so its facing down since the servo bay is too close and the throttle arm is much higher.

As far as moving the engine mounting goes. Since the Saito 100 at 20.8 oz is 4 ounces lighter then the OS91 at 24.3, I figured I'd move it back on the mount. I will also be adding the tru-turn which will have some weight up front with all the nuts that go with it.

I'll give it another look this evening, worst comes to worst I can put the OS 91fx on the yak and put the saito on the ucando. Think is the saito is not pumped, at least not yet and from what I hear it will need a pump.

Thanks!

Blackie
Old 03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
bentgear

Blackie, you should not need a pump on the Saito 100. With the tank being right across from the carb at the same level you should have plenty of fuel flow. Just adjsut it till it runs right. Also, if its a new engine, give it a gallon before you start thinking you need a pump even if it acts up a little.

Ed M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.