Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

cool power 15% - opinions please

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

cool power 15% - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
A. Holden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool power 15% - opinions please

I went to my LHS yesterday to get some fuel and now they are only carrying the cool power 15% fuel- I have been using byron 10%- the guys at the LHS say that is what most all of the customers want- and that is the only fuel that they will carry from now on- I have also seen a lot of posts on here with people saying not to use the cool power fuel in non-ringed engines - on the other hand I have seen people on here that swear by the 15% cool power in engines such as a os 46fx- This is the engine that I have on most of my 40 size profiles....... that is one reason that I am asking- if you have any experience using cool power with non-ringed engines please post your thoughts- thanks

Alex Holden
Pro-Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
LancelowDowell

Default RE: cool power 15% - opinions please

Biggest difference is cool power is all synthetic oil. Byron and Omega run part synthetic, part castor. There will probably be endless debates as usual as to what's better, but imo, it's usually better for the engines, espically 2 strokes, to get a bit of castor oil. It's not as important on 4 strokes, they don't need as much oil, and most of it will just get spit out the exhaust. Will cool power ruin your engines? I doubt it... I haven't seen any studies on the long term differences between running castor or synth, so until then, just fly with what you can get.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
CarolinaCrasher

I use whatever 15% the hobby shop has. I have switched b/w Omega and Cool Power several times and I can honestly say one doesn't work much better or worse than the other. You should be fine.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:47 PM
D3AN0

LancelowDowell is correct, it's all on personal preference really, you will get lots of different opinions on this one.
I used Cool Power for a long while and my OS 32sx ran brilliantly, ran slightly rich and gave out quite a bit of white smoke, but it had a lot of power and never failed on me. The main advantage of Cool Power is the oily residue left behind on your models is so easy to clean off, you can just use a cloth and its gone.

Then again, I've never used Byron and Omega (I'm in the UK remember!)
Anyway hope this helps.

Dean
Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used almost every type of fuel out there from Fox, Dukes, Missle Mist, Red Max, Omega, Cool Power, Byrons, Powermaster, and a few others. That said I now use Cool Power in everything I own that uses model fuel. I use 15% aircraft with 2oz of extra oil per gallon in my helo's and plain 10% in everything else. That includes everything from .049 Norvels to 1.08 O.S 2 strokes and .56 to 1.20 four strokes. I use it in my 20k+ RPM speed palnes too. I've never had siezures or any other fuel related problems and the engines run and idle well on this fuel. On other fuels I have had problem getting consistant runs and idles(this includes Byrons). The only other fuel that is this user friendly and has as high a quality is the Powermaster fuels.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:24 AM
WhtBronco

I use Cool Power 15% in all my engines as well, 2 and 4 strokes. I have for as long as I can remember. I use only synthetic oils and greases in my vehicles with terrific gains so why should my models be any different.

Use the Cool Power I suggest you will be satisfied.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:56 AM
lomcevek1

Now nobody has yet mentioned the wildcat brand they to are awesome and i have not flown anything since, but that is more of a coincidence than anything else. I tried to blend my own but that is a failure we wil save for another thread.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
D3AN0

Yeah, Wildcat is very similar to Cool Power, both the best glow fuels in my opinion, I've had bad experiences with Pro Synth, so I wouldn't recommend that. I only use 20% nitro though, I'm not sure what the 15% is like
Old 03-06-2004, 06:34 PM
wjones139

I am new to R/C, bought a Hobbico Nexstar and a gallon of 15% coolpower because I figured synthetic oil was better than natural. Then I found out that castor oil was recommended. I am a chemist and know synthetic oils are more resistant to oxidation because there are no ester linkages in the molecule. That is why castor oil forms deposits. I have experience with sythetic vacuum pump oils and have seen the oil stay liquid (no clumps in oil) far longer than with non-synthetic. I can see no reason cator oil is recommended other than tradition. Maybe deposits from castor can provide some lubrication in case the engine runs lean. I don't know. I will continue to use the coolpower and run it slightly rich. If anybody knows why castor is recommended please post (maybe cost).
Old 03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Balsageek

I used to run straight coolpower until I found WILDCAT. Coolpower is fine for anything. Just run it. Our club now just puts together a HUGE order and a certain SW missouri hobby shop sends in the order. Wildcat ships the fuel to our presidents door (usually a couple pallets) at near wholesale prices.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Wow, we should be proud of ourselves. This topic would have sparked endless flames wars in annother forum here on RCU.

Cool Power is fine. I used it, then Magnum, now Omega. I just like to use the same thing and I get pissed when I get used to one and then can't get it. But then I get pissed when the wind blows or the sun doesn't shine on a Sunday.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:11 PM
jessiej

[I can see no reason cator oil is recommended other than tradition. Maybe deposits from castor can provide some lubrication in case the engine runs lean. I don't know. I will continue to use the coolpower and run it slightly rich. If anybody knows why castor is recommended please post (maybe cost]

A couple of reasons. Castor does provide superior lubrication in case of a lean run, but not because of deposits. The castor does not break down at high temperatures.

Further castor does not burn, therefore the unburned oil carries away heat.

There are some engines that MUST use castor, but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

jess
Old 03-06-2004, 07:27 PM
jessiej

[Wow, we should be proud of ourselves. This topic would have sparked endless flames wars in annother forum here on RCU]

Good observation. It is beyond my understanding why some people can get so riled up over a hobby. If I enjoy doing something my way why on earth should I care how someone else does it. It also seems that any one so inarticulate or immature as to rely on insults in an effort to communicate should conceal that flaw by staying off these forums.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:19 PM
A. Holden

I've used about 1/2 Gal. of it this week and it seems really good so far- all of my engines ran better than with the 10%byron - thanks for all the replies!

Alex
Pro Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 03-11-2004, 03:34 PM
wjones139

Castor oil does oxidize (burn) which is what forms the deposits. I was surprised when running coolpower, at the unoxidized oil on the side of plane still colored blue from the dye. I was thinking of adding a small amount of synthetic pump oil to raise the oil to 20%. Has anyone tried adding Mobil 1 to a fuel mix. I know some people add Amsoil, another synthetic oil.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:39 PM
wjones139

I forgot to mention that the comments people are making about the civility of this discussion are really good. Some of the other discussions I have read seem like a shouting match, which accomplishes nothing. I am always open to what seem like oddball ideas at first. Some of these ideas become mainstream in about 5 years or so.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:48 PM
A. Holden

I agree...... thanks for the replies- I'm loving the CP 15%- as I said above, ALL my engines that I have run it in so far have liked it too- and from the stuff on the wing of my planes I would say that it has plenty of oil in it-

Alex Holden
Pro Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 03-11-2004, 04:27 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got back into the hobby a couple of years back, my LHS sold me Coolpower for my 65LA which I had installed in a Superstar 60. I had a really hard time getting the engine running on it, resulting in about half the club crowded around my plane examining the engine and tank installation. Turns out there wasn't much that could be done, the vibration from the engine was causing the fuel to foam (and yup the prop was balanced, that too was checked).
I later got the engine running well after I had hacked out the bulhead and packed it with foam, swapped the tank and swapped to SIG castor based fuel. I still think a major contributing factor to my initial problems was the fuel.
That jug of fuel layed around until I got my Saito 72 last year. The Saito glugged through it quite happily.

It may be the result of (incorrect?) traditional thinking but I run all my 2 strokes on semi-synthetic fuel, and perform the intitial break in runs on my 4 strokes on semi-synthetic before switching over to the green stuff.

Luckily I have the choice and am able to get both types of fuels, and with the beneifit of experience I probably could run all my engines on Coolpower but I wouldn't be happy about it and I'm not sure my engines would either.

Just my opinion of course based on my own experience......