Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Mayhem 3D...what engine

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Mayhem 3D...what engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:44 PM
KevinS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mayhem 3D...what engine

I just ordered the Mayhem 3D through my LHS, should be in on friday. I am trying to figure out between the saito 100 and 120...any suggestions. I enjoy a lighter plane for my 3D planes....but I want to make sure I got enough power. The other threads on this seem to have people using both engines, but no-one has done a direct comparison between the 2 on this plane. The thing that makes me hesitant on the 120 is that it weighs so much more then the 100.

Thanks
Kevin.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:56 PM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mayhem 3D...what engine

Does it have to be a 4 stroke? The Webra 120 2 stroke weights 26 oz.s (715 gm.s) which is about half way between the Saito 100 (550 gm.s) and the 120 (900 gm.s), but with all the cubes.
I have one in the box and I'm thinking about this plane as a candidate.
FYI.
Ray
Old 03-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Kevin S,

There's a HUGE thread on this plane in the 3D flying forum right here on RCU. Sorry I don't have a link for you, but it is right on the top of the list because there's been a bunch of posts to it every day.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
KevinS

Tetherite: Maybe, I use to use only 2-strokes on fun-fly type planes, cheaper and lighter. But I am finding, for me, that 4-strokes seem more dependable. I know its a debated argument, but I just know what has happened in my experience. I may look at the webra 1.20...too bad moki doesn't have smaller engine then 1.35, I have always found them to be very reliable.

GoinStraightup: I know that, I read the whole thing. But like I said in my original post, no-one has done a one vs the other on this plane. Some just say 'I am using a 120' and others say 'I am using a 100' without any reasons on one vs the other. Last evening someone finally posted that the 100 may be too little if the plane is actually over 8lbs as many are saying it turns out to be.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

OK, I'm glad you had known about that thread.

I know the frustration about trying to find out that info. Peoples flying styles and preferences are so different it's hard to get solid answers.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2004, 06:33 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

KevinS
Hi Kevin, and wish you would have posted your original question in the other mayhem forum, quite a discussion going on about the plane and power requirements. I believe you would have had several responses to your question. Anyway to answer you, there really is no set answer to why some members are using 120's and others are using 100's, because there are so many variables. I for one put the 120 in mine for the following reasons. One, I fly in Denver at an altitude of 5300'. Since I added considerable weight to mine with the modifications I did, the 100 would not have been able to give it the performance I wanted at this altitude. If I flew at a lower altitude, or if I kept the weight down I would have seen similar performance, as a 100 saito would power it just fine.
A lot of members just like to over power a plane no matter what altitude they fly at probably because of their skill level, as they can do much more radical maneuvers than a beginning or intermediate 3D pilot.
Anyways I hope you see where I am going with this, that there are several factors that go into what someones personal preference when deciding on what power plant to install.
Anyways if you are considering this plane, come on over to the larger Mayhem forum and post what other questions, or even the same question to the other members. Theres a lot of experience out there and I am sure they will be glad to give you their opinion, and hope it will make sense to you.
Have a good one.
Dhammer
Old 03-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

I've got a YS 110 on mine, should be first flight this weekend, I'll post pictures and video if that happens. Looking forward to seeing how well the plane performs.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:50 PM
KevinS

Thanks guys, I decided to accept the extra 1/2lb and ordered the saito 120. Plane should arrive tomorow.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:11 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Before you invest the extra money for a Saito 1.20 (and add all the extra weight) consider this. I have a Saito .91 on mine and do get unlimited verticle from it. All it needs is to be properly broken in and not built to heavy. Mine is still breaking in and it will hang on the prop at 2/3 throttle with plenty of reserve to pull out. I can't say the plane has unlimited vert. 'cause it is designed to be flown close to the ground so I quit going up when it got to around 300 feet.

I had a 1.20 in the box and the .90, decided to try the .90 'cause that is shown in the instructions as the guinea pig engine. They do mention using the 1.20 in the balancing section of the instructions though. If you build it light, it will perform.