Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Questions about flatspin

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Questions about flatspin

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about flatspin

I took my Hots profile out again tonight and spent most of the night working on my flatspin entry and blenders. While it does them just fine, I was wondering about rotation speed. Just guessing, I think I'm getting 1 rotation every 1 1/2 to 2 seconds...not very fast it seems.

What goes into the plane design to make it flat spin faster? Is the Vstab too big? Not enough thrust?

This is not a video of tonight, but a few weeks ago, but the flatspins are about the same speed: [link=http://quicker.rchomepage.com/video/hots_flight_2.wmv]Video[/link]

Basics dimensions:
Span: 48
Length: 50
Motor: MECOA 46
Prop: APC 11x4
Weight: 4lbs 8oz

Here an image with the plane's [link=http://quicker.rchomepage.com/plans/foam_funfly/foam_flat_wing_funfly.gif]details[/link].
Old 03-09-2004, 09:24 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Questions about flatspin

The slower you get your plane to flat spin the better, not faster. I don't know if you know this but the more power you input the slower it will spin, at least on many planes. You just need more elevator to make the spin slow down. Try a climbing flat spin ... that's when you are having real fun.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Quicker

Well, all I know is what I see in other people's videos. I've seen many planes burning through the flatspins so I thought that is what it is supposed to do. I spend 90% of my flying time by myself or with others that only fly circles, so I have not had the benefit of learning these maneuvers from other people in real life.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get it to climb, but not yet. I can do it in the sim, so I guess just need more practice.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
STLPilot

What sim are you using?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Quicker

FMS with a bunch of profiles I found on the net. I've been told if you can hover in FMS, you can do it in real life, becuase it's MUCH harder on FMS

Not as good as Aerofly Pro, but the only cost was the interface cable. I mainly use it just to keep the thumbs from losing touch over winter.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:34 PM
rcdude37

hey
um one question...... how do you do that!?
nice vid too
and it must be the people arount these states that just fly in circles!

well later
Old 03-10-2004, 06:49 PM
STLPilot

Oh. I'm all for FMS. That's about the best freeware out there. It flies as good as G2. However it's just real hard to flatspin on either of them true.

Do it at the field. Just start with lots of altitude. The MOST important bit of info about flat spins is recovery. Never pull back on the elevator to exit a flat spin. In fact point down and let go. Then after the spin is fully stopped then recover. I've seen many flat spins go right into the ground. Even one full scale. All from elevator pull recoverys.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Quicker

Yep, what STLPilot says.

On this plane, I can actually just let go of all the sticks and this plane will fly right out of the spin hands off. To enter the spin, I pull nose high, high alpha, nearly stall and pull full rudder and about half elevator, maybe a bit more elevator. This varies from plane to plane depending on elevator size and throw and CG location. I then start feeding in some aileron....hopefully to start climbing. The exact stick locations vary from plane to plane.

To exit on this plane I just make sure I'm at full power and let the sticks center. The plane flies out.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Quicker
To exit on this plane I just make sure I'm at full power and let the sticks center. The plane flies out.
Do not full power! Pull back power to exit flat spin. Full power will only induce the spin!
Old 03-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Quicker

Maybe this plane is different, because the minute I let go of the sticks it exits the spin: 1/2, 3/4 or full power. Would that be due to the big size of the VStab?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 PM
MAX EFFFORT

hi , different planes flat spin differently,even 2 of the same planes can have different flat spin characteristics if c/g is not the same ,also thrust angle,etc. but control throws must be max,mostly elevator, dual rates is safest way to go. there are 16 different possible positions for the sticks to try to find the best spin ,24 if you use dual rates . example [max left rudder, full throttle, right aileron lo rate,down elevator hi rate, that is one]. some planes spin better inverted some upright.get alot of alltitude and keep trying different stick positions. you,ll get it .lots of rear c/g seem to help but be careful to much and plane will be squirly . hope this will help. any questions plz ask.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:12 AM
STLPilot

Maybe this plane is different, because the minute I let go of the sticks it exits the spin: 1/2, 3/4 or full power. Would that be due to the big size of the VStab?
I'm just telling you what I have been taught, both in full scale and rc. Your first move when exiting a spin should be reduce power full, pitch down, opposite rudder, neutral sticks, recover. But the most senseful way is just to chop power and let go. Each plane will exit a spin different, but I can assure you that in most planes it's smart to chop throttle when exiting a spin as throttle only induces the spin. Which in the long run will help it fly into the ground faster.

You best friend is altitude when practicing spins.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Quicker

Don't get me wrong STLPilot, I'm not doubting your words, or telling you you're full of it. I'm in no position to tell anybody they are doing things wrong. I'm just telling you what THIS plane does. When I first started flat spinning this plane i did it EXACTLY how you are describing the way to do it. I just found I could "push it" with this plane.

I can get it to spin slowly enough and lose altitude slowly enough that I think I can land it that way. I've seen it on video....pretty cool when done.

Anyway thanks for all of the help. Like I said, very few of the guys I fly with do any 3D stuff, so I lean on the 'net for support.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 AM
STLPilot

I can get it to spin slowly enough and lose altitude slowly enough that I think I can land it that way. I've seen it on video....pretty cool when done.
Be very careful if you try this. It take a very well seasoned pilot to do that. Reason being sure you may be able to flatspin it to the ground, but when you are just about to touch you have to save your plane from rolling over when it hit's, meaning your sticks cannot be in the same postition they are (flatspin) when the wheels touch or you instantly ground loop your plane. There is a complete new set of stick movements when you are 6" above the ground. Heck I don't even want to teach you what to do because it's not easy. Just coming into 3D you have a lot more moves to learn before that one. Harrier landings are much more safe then flat spins.

Sound like your in this to crash em like the rest of us!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Quicker

Sound like your in this to crash em like the rest of us!
Fly it like you stole it!! [8D]