Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Assembly thread on Extreme flt edge

I am assembling an Extreme flight edge for Gary Seeloff and one for myself. I thought I might start this thread to show how I do it, include some assembly techniques for 3D and my own personal guidelines. I really think this is going to be a popular airplane so it may be of help to many first time 3D or maybe even some of you more advanced 3D guys. I will get some pictures and analysis up this afternoon, just getting started on it. Jeff Williams
    Extreme Flight RC, www.bandegraphix.com, team Airtronics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Assembly thread on Extreme flt edge

Thanks Jeff,I just got mine and will build along with your tips.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So where's the tips??
    Breaking the Speed of Sound, Straight Down!

Charter Member UCMFA

Dave Mathewson for AMA President!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dam Chuck let him open the box. You will probably have yours finished before him any way. He has two to assemble.[:-] I will be looking mine will be here on Monday
    Rc lenz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bet $5 that Gary would like his to take to Houston next weekend, so he better get to opening them boxes!

I have opened mine at least. Whether or not it makes Houston has yet to be seen. Gonna try!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines [X(]

Charter Member UCMFA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cool..
    Wayne

Team JR, Extreme Flight RC, Aero3dgfx, SWB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chuck I can send you a pound of Starbucks Coffee. Looks to be a *8 hour build from what I have read. I wish I lived closer to Houston TX. You guys get lots of pic's and videos post them after the Fun fly.
    Rc lenz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, the box is open (Chuck) and yes Gary wants his ready for Houston. Keykey is taking it to him. Anyway, I am farther than I can post right now but here is the first few items in the instructions. So far, I have found no abnormalities, and everything fits well.
    Picture 1 shows the servo, wing and tail areas with the covering cut away. I tend to cut it such that it leaves about 1/8" to 1/4" covering left so I can iron into the cutout area.
    Picture 2 shows exactly how it should look when completed. Now, around the wing area, the curves of the airfoil make it such that you will need to put small slits in the covering about every 1/2" to 1" (depending on the amount of curve) to get it to iron down without creasing the covering. JW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db84440.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	111353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54200.jpg 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	111354  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next comes assembling the gear. The instructions are concise and clear on this, however I added a washer anywhere there was a nylon insert nut or bolt head. Therefore, I had to put a couple of my own in this procedure, but the way it is setup is fine, just personal preference. Secondly, you will need to drill holes into the fuselage to locate the gear. I angled the gear just slightly forward, this helps guard against noseovers. The angle is so slight you would have to be specifically looking for it to notice.
    Now comes the tailwheel, this threw me, at first, to figure out how it all fitted into the slot. I had to examine it but, it came to me pretty quick. You will need to install the tailwheel first, then position the opposite end into the fuselage such that the angle fits in there pointing up, then put the triangle wood piece in after that. Works great, I just had never seen one like this. I used flexibe CA here. JW.

Name:	Ca80488.jpg 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	111356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51830.jpg 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	111357  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Step 5, is the installation of the horizontal stabilizer. I pretty much do it the same way the instructions do with one addition. I dry fit the wing in at the same time, this way I can align it all at the same time before applying glue. Go ahead and find the exact center of the wing/stab and cut away some covering so the glue will touch wood, just do not cut too much or you will have bare wood showing, about 3/8" to 1/2" bare wood is enough. Fit the stab and wing into the fuselage dry(no glue) and use the instruction's method of a square and ruler to align. Now, I also put the plane up onto a table (or similar) so I can view the plane from the front and back. This method will enable you to view the alignment of the wing/tail so that they are parallel with each other.
    Picture 1 shows the covering cut away.
    Picture 2 shows how to continue a straight line around the front of the airfoil, it is masking tape to help direct the xacto knife. Be sure to just barely cut the covering, if you go into the sheeting, well that would be bad. Try several gentle pressure passes with the xacto to cut the covering.
    Picture 3 and 4 show the plane setup on TV tables so that I can view its front/back/sides before gluing. Once you are happy with the alignment in all directions, apply glue to the horizontal (I used CA).
    Step 6 is gluing the wing into the fuse. Since I have already done my alignment, I just glued the wing. The instructions have you use epoxy, I used CA as it is a tight fit and I glue all my profile wings in with CA and never had a problem. JW

Name:	Bz77644.jpg 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	111360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93063.jpg 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	111361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp34394.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	111362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm28596.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	111363  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Step 7 is hinging the surfaces. I used an xacto to locate the slots under the covering, the elevator has 4 slots, the rudder 3 and the ailerons have 5 per side. The kit includes CA hinges, I stick a T-pin into the middle of the hinge to make sure the center stays at the hinge line while sliding them into the slot. Make sure you start hinging the elevator before the rudder or you will have a bad day. Also, make sure the gap between the counterbalance and the horizontal is the same both sides, now deflect the control surface to about 45 degrees (do not allow too much gap between the elevator and the horizontal, check this on the rudder and ailerons too before applying CA) and apply thin CA (if you have an applicator tip on your CA bottle this helps tremendously). Now go to the other side of the elevator and hit the hinges with CA. I now went and did the rudder, then ailerons, in the same fashion.
    Picture 1 shows the T-pins in the hinge so they stay centered.
    Picture 2 shows the plane as it should look at this point. JW

Name:	Qo40298.jpg 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	111373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51163.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	111374  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep! that about what mine looks like. My servos are in, rudder and elavater hooked up, But the aileron hook up is throwing me. l mean the angle of the horns and puchrod. l don't have any(yet) dubro supper servo arms.locating the horn so the pushrod dosent bind. The pics are great

Will #379

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the longest of the Dubro servo arms to keep the aileron pushrods from binding. I ended up with about 45 degrees each way on the ailerons. The push rod just hits the inner edge at extremes for throw and is lightly rubbing the outside edge at neutral.
    I finished up mine this afternoon ready for fuel weighs in at 4lb 3oz. Webra 50, 4 Futaba S9001s and one S3101 on throttle and a 720 mah 5 cell NiMh from Radical RC.
    Now I'm waiting on a replacement carb barrel for the Webra and some decent weather.
    basmntdweller
    Proud brother of the Profile persuasion!
    I got all cross****ed and turfed it, AGAIN!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff how come you are not installing some of your Carbon fiber landing gear? I just read a post that someone just broke theirs with a light landing. Are you still making them and selling them?. Your thread looking good Keep the post & pic coming you may have yours done before Chuckey SL
    Rc lenz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have crashed my Sledge hard enough to bust the fuse in half twice and have never broke my CF LG. Last time it even sheared the bottom 6-32 bolt and the gear is still fine. I've heard of guys busting them, but mine has held up well. I have a set on my OMP FF540 and a set for my new Sledge. I could put them on this plane, but....well, I'm just not

Charter Member UCMFA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great thread, keep the info coming. I hope mine arrives tomorrow !!!! Rad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah Jeff. Great thread.

I have found an easier way to remove the covering in areas like the wing slot, stab slot etc...
    Heat up a soldering iron, run the tip around where you want the covering to be gone and it will seal itself up to the wood and cut the covering away perfectly.
    Wipe the melted covering off the tip beofre each new section is done.
    Wayne

Team JR, Extreme Flight RC, Aero3dgfx, SWB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have broke bolts before my gear broke too Chuck. If someone broke their CF gear for no reason I will replace it. Most of the time the CF gear breaks it saves a fuselage, IE it breaks the momenum and therefore the fuselage remains intact.
    Wayne, I will try that method sometime to remove covering.
    I would like everyone to keep in mind this is technique, technique techniques only. There are lots of ways to get one of these planes together. If you follow the directions exactly you will be fine. I want to share information (like what Wayne did above) and maybe we can all learn something. I appreciate those of you that enjoy this kind of thread and hope to help someone along the way. I do not know it all but, I have developed some tricks in my 27 years of RC airplanes. I am now working on the servo installation, should have more pics and information tomorrow. JW

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am sorry when I wrote (broke theirs). I meant the stock aluminum landing gear that come with the plane hardware package.
    Rc lenz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey this is cool, I get to just sit back and watch my plane come together. Wish they were all this easy.
    I've been doing some reading in the various threads about this plane, sounds like a winner. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

C'mon Houston!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

C'mon houston is right.

And Gary told me I can fly this bird since Im going to deliver it. Well as long as Bryan Baker isnt in the air.....Dohhhhhh!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy got his together yesterday...well almost his engine should be here wednesday. It is a nice looking arf....no doubt! I cant wait to wring it out.
    http://webpages.charter.net/flyboy10/

Dave Mathewson for AMA President 2005

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, mines all done except the motor, might fly it tonight if it's nice out.

I must say that was the best arf kit I've ever seen, and I'll know the flying weight tomorrow morning, GREAT JOB EXTREME FLIGHT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought Jeff told me he was going to do his first . Tom
    If you don\'t learn from it your doing something wrong!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SteveL, to answer your question about why I did not put the CF gear on it, well that is because it is not mine. I am assembling this one for Gary Seeloff. I will definitely put CF gear on mine, nothing wrong with the included aluminum gear though. The CF gear will make it stand quite a bit higher though. I am almost done with Garys, so I will get back on tonight with more information and pictures. JW

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast