Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ann is building the burito

Hi guys

Last christmas I offered to my husband (the sweet SALMONBUG) a Burito kit.
    I knew he was lookibg for a hig performance profile bird and decided to make him a surprise.
    I created an acount on RCU and asked some info, mister Paul, kindly offerd me his help and mailed me a Burito kit in Belgium.
    I am highly disapointed !!![:@] Altough Salmonbug is very happy with his Burito kit, he doesn't seems to want to assemble it for this summer !!!, he is busy on two other major projects . I am a bit frustrated about his lack of interest about my nice present []
    Because he is now out of the house for one month, I decided to show him my frustration by building the airplane myself !!!
    I am maried with a passionate, so I have some notions ( it's now 7 years that I maried salmonbug and 7 years that I clean the workshop and the balsa dust).I saw plenty of airplanes growing and I am in charge of most of the covering jobs.
    But I never builded myself, so I will post here my questions and pictures of my work and ask you to help me if you don't mind !

here are my first pictures

I decided to build the stab elevator assembly just to test my skills.
    I selected the wood, the glues and the tools I think I will need
    first question before I start : should I cut the spruce elevator joiner in the long 1/4 spruce part or is that piece precut and laying somewhere in the box (I couldn't find it in that case) ?
    I decided to glue most of the frame with alliphatic resin glue except for the spruce joiner and the sticks composing the tips of stab and elevator that i plan to glue with epoxy resin for strenght

Am I on the right track guy's ?

Sweet kisses

Ann
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57181.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	113499  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ann is building the burito

Hey, Pro-Sis

I have'nt built my stab yet, so I dont know the answer to #1 for sure, but I think there are two peices of hardwood. One for the servo mounts and one for the joiner. I will check for you when I get home.
    I am assuming you do'nt have CA type glue available in Belgium, but I would think the allipathic glue would work fine for the whole assembly and that epoxy might be overkill.
    I think you will do just fine with the build, so have at it. I only wish my wife could see this wounderful hobby through your eyes, because you are truly an inspiration to all of us married Pro-Bros whose wives dont see things the way we do.

If you need help, let us know

Kisses

William
    Pro-Bro 540
    William McClooney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

salmonbug has all the glue you can dream about in his workshop, but I decided to go with alliphatic glue so it gives me some time to react in case of mistake.
    I know belgium is small country, but we are not primitives

Thanks for checking about the spruce stick

kiss

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The beauty of this design is that you can cut all of the peices to fit bedore ever glueing. Then, you pin them onto the board exactically as they should be. When they are all lined up perfectly, put a drop of thin CA at each joint and voilla, it'll be perfect. Try it. Would'nt it be funny if you built and covered better than salmonbug lol Then, what would he do. lol

William
    William McClooney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ann,

I admire your courage in undertaking this project. I personally would be overjoyed if my wife would build an airplane for me.

I think you'll find a lot of good advice here. But unfortunately I have not built this plane yet. (I have heard good things about it, and it is at the top of my wish list) So I won't be much help with your question about the 1/4" spruce elevator joiner. Although having built several kits of this nature, I would guess there is a spruce stick or two in the box that you will have to cut to length to match the plan.

I would guess that Mr. Swany is flying in Houston, Texas this weekend. And will be along in a few days to answer your question directly.

Glues on the other hand; are a matter of preference. Alpha tic resin will work, as well as the epoxy; but I don't have the patience to work with them. Their set times are too slow, and there will be a lot of mixing with the epoxy. I feel they are also heavier than CA. (Cyrano acolyte)
    I prefer a bottle each of thin and thick CA and accelerator. You are able to pin most of the assemblies to the board apply a few drops of CA to the joints and shoot it with the accelerator. In a few seconds the assembly is ready to remove and sand.
    I bleed Scarlet and Grey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my tough was that in the case of a structure like the burito (all sticks) the use of a glue with good gap filling properties was a good idea for the case you slightly miss the triming of a stick. the alliphatic resin will fill the joins better than CA and result in a better structural integrity, that's my opinion of stupid girl
    for the weight consideration I have to say that i didn't tough this was so important. Will the plane be out of balance and unable to fly????????[]

my choice of allyphatic glue come also from the fact that I am in charge of the final sanding and covering of all the airplanes my husband build (salmonbug has very bad tastes for color scheme) and my experience sanding structures showed me that it's very difficult to obtain smooth regular sanding in aera containing "blops" of CA, the dry CA is much more hard than the wood !, you don't have that problem with alliphatic glue

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm also building this kit now. I just finished the fuselage, rudder and most of the wing. I'll build the horizontal stab and elevator tonight and take pics for you...OK?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just went out and looked at what wood I have left. I have a small piece of 1/4 hardwood leftover from building the wing. It's a bit longer than the joiner should be, so I will be cutting my joiner from that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, and let me know if you obtain something like this.......

I worked 3 hrs on it
    I am not very concerned about the spruce sticks anymore because I found a dozen of identical ones in my husband reserve of wood. also balsa ones, this make me more confident

my major problem is that i don't find the assembly manual. I guess that he is with the other manual in my husband library, but he locked his office and is out of the house for one month[]

Name:	Wu60363.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	113622  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're doing a fantastic job! You can download the manual at Swany's site here:
    http://www.swanyshouse.com/burrito/burrito.html

Also, look at this thread if you have questions:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1170617/mpage_1/key_burrito/anchor/tm.htm#1170617

latch66 did a great job documenting the build. His was an early run kit, so Swany fixed a few things. Go off the manual first, then look at latch's thread for more pictures.

Good job!!!

Will the plane be out of balance and unable to fly?
    No. You'll be OK. It will just add a slight amount of weight....probably won't notice. Just don't get too carried away with the glue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4 am here time to go to bed

see you tomorrow folks

kiss

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey girl,

The 1 1/4x1/4 peice was for the joiner, it has to be trimmed. I was thinking about the glue situation and I agree about the sanding. Use the thin CA to attach the peices and use the other glue to fill any gaps that you get. Like quicker said, we are there for you and you are doing a great job. You will make your husband verry happy with this plane.

Good luck and keep us posted

Kisses

William
    William McClooney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good morning AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!

I give you a french morning kiss ! (belgian kiss is the same than the french one and many experts consider it better !)

what do you mean by "trim" the elevator spruce joiner? the only think I did was to cut it to lenght and then sligthly round two of the corner so it fit perfectly in the curvature made by mister Paul's CNC machine drill bit.
    is that correct or was it something else to do ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pro Sis, Keep going! you'll have that plane ready for Mempis ProBro in May

Will

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of my horizontal stab. I got a new power panel for my field box and put that on, then painted the box, etc. so it would look good flying today. I'll get it done tonight.

Your build is fine so far. Build the fuse next, then the wing, which is the hardest part of the kit. Even it is not that hard, though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She's Pro Sis #1 Man I haven't built a kit yet but that looks like it will kill my first attempt GJ!
    -Chris-

***Free iPod***
    http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23584089

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will take pics of my progress tonight, by the way here is how look pro-sis1

for those who are intersted I have a twin sister alone..

Name:	Wu60248.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	113734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16639.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	113735  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like its time to get off my duf and start building mine. Looks great Ann, Keep up the great work. JT
    Every plane has a expiration date!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, now. Wasn't expecting that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still waiting for that 180 Balsa dust wife

Will

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

soon............ on the probro site once my bird will be finished !

by the way, I remeber salmonbug was talking with a fella here about the burito and remeber he said he was going to build it with a ys 63 and a tank in wing (if I remember correctly)

what does that mean ?

I will post pic of my progress as soon my battery cam is charge and wait your criticism and coments

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most of the profiles, You can put the fuel tank inside the wing just behind the leading edge.Like the Knife,Sledge,and l beleave the Taco too.But most people like to see how much fuel is in the tank with a slow flybye, thats the way l like it!

Will

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YS 63 is a very nice 4 stroke motor:
    http://www.hobbyclub.com/YsEngines.htm

"Tank in wing" means he was going to put the gas tank inside the thick wing instead of putting it on the side of the body. The YS motors have a builti-in pump that can let them draw fuel through longer fuel lines, so he can put the tank in the wing, farther away from the motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you mean that instead of puting the tank on the side, he planed to insert it in the wing?
    is YS63 the engine he planed to put on it?
    how does this engine looks like, I have to find it in the workshop or go tu buy it ! in the case it's goos for that plane .... I remember when I bought the plane mister paul said 46fx but salmonbug I think said ys who is right?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes to#1,Either one. Both good engines. Paul if flying his with a webra50,A little too much motor but the power is always there,That would be the same for the YS63

Will

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast