Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 AM
dam630
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS 63 Lost my Muffler is it OK to fly on my Sledge?

It seems we got off on the wrong foot here. Once again I will say that my only real concern was about people coming out to the field claiming they know how to fly and then creating a dangerous situation.
I was more than willing to help Dennis after I gave him the pilots test, which by the way is only meant to be sure that the "newbie" is not going to get himself or anyone else hurt. We just need to see that the new pilot is in control of the aircraft.
I told him that practicing on the simulator is great, it saves me a LOT of instruction time, but he should take just a "few" lessons while hooked up to a buddy cord just to be safe. He refused and decided to come out at a later time and fly again when no instructors were around. I'm sure his piloting skills have improved in a year, however most of his threads state he has been very busy re-modelling his house and no time to fly, which would leave anyone to believe that his skills could not have improved in a big way.

I am always helpful to all who are interested in learning how to fly and spend more time with students than I spend flying my own plane.

To sloanfs: The last time I saw Dennis fly, it was with a Lazy Tiger P51 fun fly, not exactly a 3D sort of plane (Sledge 540 definitely is, I fly an Edge540T myself)

To remcl1: I am by no means a 3D expert and am justing learning the true aspects of what 3D means and practice as often as I can with my Edge540T and learn more all the time. Most folks think that 3D means flying wild and doing really cool aerobatics, when in fact it is flying in a stalled attitude.

I apologize to all who seem to have been offended by my post and I think we should end it right here.
This thread is about YS mufflers and should remain so.
(I did in fact read his old posts and accidently started my post on the wrong thread)
Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 AM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

Typical: the one that takes a thread in the wrong direction is the one that wants to end it, when he is called to the carpet.

The muffler question has been addressed, so there is no need to stay on topic.

You state that 3D is flying in a stalled attitude. This is technically not possible. If the airplane is stalled, it is no longer flying: hence by definition you state an oxymoron. Don't forget your prop is a wing. Having said that: 3D flying is flying an airplane in a non traditional axis. It has nothing to do with stalling. Think of the airplane flying straight; the plane is following and maintaining a direction that the nose is pointing. This is standard or 2D flying. when you 3D or enter the third dimension of flying you take the plane in a direction contrary to the direction that the nose is pointing. Such as harrier. The nose is pointing up, but the plane is traveling forward. The wing is not stalled. Granted it is not generating the amount of lift it would if the angle of attack were less, but it is not stalled. Stalling or partially stalling a wing is or can be part of 3D, but it does not define 3D. The axes that you travel defines 3D. I agree with you that flying 3D is not flying wild. For the most part it is flying slow and controlled. That is why 3D flying, in my opinion, can be safer than 2D flying. It is slower and lower.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:44 AM
wild fred

actually, I looked up the definition of flying 3d; it said Kyron.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
dam630
My Feedback: (2)

Should we continue this thread and discuss 3D flying or take the thread elsewhere?
I don't mind continuing the discussion as long as we can agree not to be hostile which was never my intent even though it did come across that way (sorry guys).

Can we agree that for the most part that 3D flying is in fact "mostly" in a stalled attitude?
If you are relying on the prop to maintain lift then the wing is stalled, correct?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
remcl1

Wild Fred

LOL. That is funny, but well understood.

We are definitely in his shadow, but we are no slouches ourselves. Kyron is blazing the trail, but we are hot on his heels. Especially now that we are getting the kind of stick time that he was able to have in the past.

dam630,

I was just commenting on your harsh statements. It was purely reactive. I do not have to agree not be be hostile that ball is in your court.

We can agree that most 3D flying is done in a mostly stalled attitude. This Attitude is called "high alpha " but that is not a requirement. 3 D is more than that. That is why I had issues with your definition. You may have seen Dennis do something that was not High alpha and thought he was not practicing 3d. For example the elevator maneuver does not have a stalled wing and is not in a high alpha attitude.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

WOW, leave the computer for a day or two and Chizizam!

Too those that came to my Defence, I do Thank You.

I do wish to say a few things in my own defence as those who don't know me personaly and see this post might prejudge what I'm all about.

Then, I WILL NOT again respond to ANY accusations what so ever about me within this particular thread. I will attend to the situation locally, in person, of course with tact. Others may post what they may and I shall remain silent, I rather use the time to harrass the wife or attempt to FLY :-)

Yes, I am so far self taught using FMS simulator and "just doing it" at the flight field. In the past my time didnot corelate with available instructors. So I went Lone Wolf. I now have total, about 40 to 50, 10 to 12 Min flights under my belt with a TT Lazy tiger p51 and Sledge 540. Both still in one piece :-).

It is true that DAM 630 did test me after I had say 10 flights under my belt at the very most, mabey only 6 to 10 flights. I tested under the suggestions of a couple friends. At that time, one could say the flight was a little squirley now and then (It is a short moment, low wing plane) Yes, not the best choice for a trainer mabey, but I like it, and it seems to land better/eaiser than many trainers I've seen, I was never asked to end the testing flight, I WAS very nervous especially after being told, after in the air, that I would have to takeoff and land 3 consecutive times within in the SAME FLIGHT without the engine stopping to pass, I was thinking about that the whole flight :-(, But I did take off circle some, attempt things as I was asked to do that I had not practiced and of course was not able to do or not look great at. Plane came down in one piece, and is still in one piece now :-)

I DO NOT fly at my club in SECRET, They did give me a Key to the field did'nt they, most experenced flyers and longtime members have watched me fly and have been buddy/buddy with me and have not said anything negitive. I have chosen in the past to fly when its not busy in respect to my fellow flyers, and I'm more comfortable trying/learning when there are not 3 other planes in the sky at the same time. Two flight day's ago about 4 ish weekends ago, I recently became more comfortable with my flying and did fly with 3 other planes up at the same time for my 1st time. I stayed very far out trying Harriers, knife edge, hovering attempts and tight loops, very high up, way out of the pattern and being the farest out where I had trouble seeing the plane, just to respect the pattern flyers and not cause trouble and to be SAFE as they were my 1st attempts at these manuvers.

I have NEVER been told I was causing an INFRACTION of the rules. I have been in the presence of the clubs President and Saftey officers say at least 10 times with no mention of any problems, actually the very last person I saw at the club was the President flying by himself (hummm, I guess The President was flying IN SECRET) , we talked and he said nothing negitive, I consider him a Flying Hobbie friend.

I have heard from a friend that there was chatter in the long past that when I was just starting, that someone brought up the situation that I was being self taught and if it was against the rules BEING SELF TAUGHT and supposely someone checked and did not find it in the rules what so ever and that one in the conversation stated that they thought I was very saftey conciouse and the matter was dropped. None of those directly envolved in the conservation ever mentioned it to me.

I am VERY THANKFUL to all Volunteer's who contribute to our Hobbies. If I had time that was compatable to trainer's time I surely would have taken advantage of their knowlege. Full time + work and house remodeling had really crimpted my time, glad that the remodel now is over.

About my flying abilities or lack of, I'm not Great, nor even Good, but it's interesting that I've flown on 20 plus MPH wind days with say 6 plus other members watching me and there not flying at all because its too windy and I'm the only one going up.

DAM630, if posting this, on this particular thread was an accident and you again posted in another thread made by me/to me please let me know where I might find it. See ya this weekend if I'm not in Lakeland.

REMCL1, WILD FRED, I may just call ya and show up in lakeland :-).

CHUCKAUGER, SLOANFS, BASMNTDWELLER, AND OTHERS I can't wait to see ya at a PROBRO thats close to Florida :-) Hell" I'll even let you say my flying sucks :-) Just might be true :-).

That's aaawwwwwww, Folks. Dennis
Old 07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
remcl1

Dennis,

I wondered when you were going to chime in. You may not think it is necessary, but I think dam630 should post an apology to you. He apologized to us for coming across as hostile, but he has not to you. He dug up and spun old past issues and bla, bla, bla...... for this I think a public apology is in order.

Call me, you are always welcome at Propbusters.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

REMCL 1, Bob I just went to Propbusters to get directions again and website says to see emergency rules, I looked and one emergency rule is NO PLANES WITHOUT MUFFLERS.

So I guess I'll stay local this week as I still have not got a new muffler for the YS 63. Next week an order from Central Hobbies is the Prioirity. One reason I've been holding off is that I also was considering another YS 63 the newer one with the relocated regulator and some other stuff, carbon rods, Hex head servo scerws, ect. ect. The newer one ( YS 63 ) was not in stock yet when my muffler 1st came off. Now I'm thinking of getting a 3D Foamy setup and Mini 3D finally VS The new YS 63, Decisions, Decisions. :-) I wish I saw the Heinz lady before Kerry did, I'd just buy it all :-)

See ya when I'm compliant.

Thanks, Dennis
Old 07-17-2004, 06:47 PM
remcl1

If you want to come over tomorrow, I have an extra muffler you can use. Don't worry about losing it. You will not be over trees here and we will secure it good.