Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Wing failure on Sledge

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Wing failure on Sledge

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wing failure on Sledge

I actually had the same thing happen to mine, but admittedly I left out the fiberglass tape. At the time I wasn't convinced that the fiberglass tape was needed. Mine folded when In my attempt to hover lower and lower, I ran out of gas and had to execute a "three point parachute landing" (That sounds much better then it was) Didn't even bend or break the gear, but the wing did fold. I built another one using 48" balsa so I could build a one piece wing. It came out lighter and stronger building it this way. I think Morris may have actually changed Jeff’s original sledge plans and used shorter pieces and the "butt glue" technique for shipping purposes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83891.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	134440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17590.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	134441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36074.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	134442  
Old 05-21-2004, 10:24 AM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another thought. If the airplane was covered before assembly, and the covering cut away at the fuse joint the sheeting could have been scored. The wing is very strong as designed, but the sheeting carries the load. From the pictures it looks like the sheeting broke at the fuse edge. Tom
Old 05-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

I've been buildin' a pair of Sledges back to back. I fibreglassed the wing center joints and also ran a .014" thick strip across the tops of the spars for additional strength. Might get a chance to maiden the one this long weekend (hoo hoo!).
Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Well IMO the Sledge is one rocking plane, Best I've flown. I torture mine, as only a 3D wanna be can. It was built by the master (B Bill) and I don't expect to ever wonder about the wing failing because it was built right and is clearly designed well as testified to by the zillions of Sledges out there.

I think the weight of that plane should be considered the main reason for failure. Though we all push these things past design limits, the added weight increases the G forces in these extreme manuvers. My main evidence for this belief would be the inspection of the several crashed Sledges I've seen. Haven't seen one yet that the wing broke in that way even though the plane was destroyed.

I don't care to build a Sledge as long as I can get B Bill to do it because it is not as easy as most. But I would because the results are SOOOOOOOOOOO awsome!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:20 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I am on the belief that something was wrong with the construction in both these cases. While I do not question the builders integrity, hey we are all human and oversights/mistakes/etc can happen. There are hundreds of sledges out there and only two wings folded for unknown reasons? It cannot be the design/strength of the wing. I have put the plane thru heck before it went to market and I know it will take abuse within reason. While I do not recommend full throttle straight down blenders, I have done them a number of times trying to destroy the wing, and it never happened. So the question in my mind is not the design, but what got overlooked. It was something and maybe when the answer reveals itself we might all learn something. Jeff Williams
Old 05-24-2004, 10:47 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I want to stree again that the wing failure on my Sledge has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DESIGN OF THIS PLANE. NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, ZIP.
The incident that led up to mine folding would have snapped most designs. There is no problem with this plane as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:58 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

I would also like to add my opinion that Jeff's Sledge is a total winning design. I've personally wrung out a Sledge and it's rock solid. They all have their slightly different flying characteristics so that's why we always say "buy them all and fly em like you stole em!"

I think this was just another case of mistakes while building or perhaps this plane had been crashed and had prior damage internally. It's going to happen to all planes eventually!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:29 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Well actually I found out that the design with 2 piece wings may even be more helpful and much eaiser to fix. The fix only took me about 3-4 hours. Still have to cover it. It's kind of cool to be able to fix it other then replace the entire wing if it gets damaged. It will be back up tonite hopefully weather permitting.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:34 PM
777M8

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Anyhow last nite I was flying it I did a couple outside snaps and the wing failed. Luckily I was up pretty high, the wing folded and fell like a brick. Well I kept on it and tried to recover. Somehow I managed to get it on it's belly, the wing only held by Monokote on the bottom amazingly poped back in placed and I landed it like nothing even happened. It was pretty amazing, a lot of eyes almost popped out of their heads including my own.

Please advise.

Dion
How did the prop get broke?

Name:	Qo40644.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	135917  
Old 05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I had the landing gear off. I had to land with some power all the way down to prevent the wing from collapsing again.

Heading out right now to fly it again! The fix was MUCH easier then I thought it was going to be.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I have broke my wing off a couple of times. But only because I crashed it! I put some spar doublers on the top, and bottom of the spar, and cut slots in the ribs to pass them through! There isn't anything wrong with the sledge design! That crash would have torn up any plane. My wing doesn't have the fiberglass tape either, but I doubt it would have helped much!

This crash was caused by running out of fuel (harriering) at about just enough altitude so the nose didn't have time to rotate to straight down. [:'(]

Name:	Tr51229.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	136086