Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

extreme flight and the computer radio

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

extreme flight and the computer radio

Old 05-31-2004, 12:36 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme flight and the computer radio

I have been playing with this plane over a period of two flying days and the first day I found the plane to be pitchy with elevator input. almost ballooning but not quite. because I had a new 4 stroke on the nose I I was to occupied with that to start playing with the computer radio. between the breakin runs and the rest of the first day I used close to a gallon of fuel.
since I used up so much fuel the first day, the next week I wasn't concentration too much on the engine and decided to play with the flap to elevator mix. I have this mix dialed into all my funfly planes usually before I even get the plane off the bench. But with the big 82 up front, on this plane I wan't sure what to expect so I decided to keep everything out until I got the engine past break-in time. after the first day I wan't sure if I wanted to move the cg or not. It kind of responded like it was tail heavy but it landed dead stick and out of fuel just fine..
Yesterday I was able to get about three flights on the plane and after the first one I went to the computer radio and turned on the flap/elevator mix. different plane all together. with this mix on the plane flies more of the way I like my planes to fly. usually after just two flights I know if a specific plane will have the mix on or off for the life of the plane.. this one is an ON plane for me. on the video for the manufacture's web site I didn't notice this mix when the plane was flying.
I'm wondering if you guys are using this mix or any other mix on this plane....???
Paul
Old 05-31-2004, 02:14 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: extreme flight and the computer radio

Paul,

I dont use any mixes on this plane at all. But if you like them, use them.
The main thing I see people doing with adverse effects on this plane is using too much throw on the tail surfaces.
Its not the typical Profile where more is better. More is not great on it as far as throw.
My CG is just aft of the blue stripe on the wing. Some guys are ever further back from there and like it.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:06 AM
taxman232ex

Wayne,

How many degrees of elevator and rudder throw are you using on yours.

I can get good inverted flat spins when I play with the rudder and elevator inputs.

I want to adjust my setup to limit the throws so it makes it easier.

Taxman
Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
wgeffon

My elevator has 45 degrees of throw up and down
Rudder has 40 degrees.
Ailerons have as much as I can get.

I fly with enough expo to be able to stay in those rates all the time.
I also have another flight mode set up where all the rates stay the same except for the rudder. In this mode my rudder only moves about 20 degrees. Its great for Knife edge with that amount.

More throw is not really what you want with this plane. The tail surfaces are very powerful and more isnt really better...
Old 06-02-2004, 07:09 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

I agree about the throw in this plane.
for sure I have found this out with the rudder. when I took the first flight on this plane I had the rudder maxed. one attempt at knife edge and I realized I had too much athority.
I landed and the next flight I cut it back to less than half the travel and the plane still knife edge- loops......
nice plane... I'm liking it more and more as I fly it and get to know it
Old 06-03-2004, 02:39 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I still can't get a good 45 degree harrier from mine, and I finally got a better pilot to fly it and that showed me why.

I was in Memphis watching Gator harrier the heck out of his, right side up and inverted. After he landed, I gave him my box. Gator flew the crap out of my plane, getting much better harriers than I could, and even a good harrier roll.

Gator said I was a tad tail heavy for his taste. (I was at 3/4 back from the spar.) He suggested taking off one of the two ounces of lead I used to balance, and perhaps both. He felt my throws were OK. After watching his hands, I realized that the EF Edge doesn't harrier like anything else I'd flown. Most planes, you just grab up a handful of 3D elevator and work the throttle to stabilize the plane. Gator was in and out of the smallest amounts of elevator to hold the harrier attitude. The tail simply has too much authority to hold a full 45 degrees of throw, with any amount of throttle, and not go way past harrier attitude. You either go over on your back, or back out of the throttle and fall out. The trick it to get in and out of the elevator and throttle at the right times.

Now why is it so different, a few Pro Bros hashed this out over a pitcher or two and the concensus is that we don't know. Some say that it's something to do with the airfoil holding the thrust close to the plane. Some say it's the height of the engine sending tons of "clean" air to the tail. Some said that it had to do with the monsterous side area. I dunno, but I do know that my EF Edge does great harriers, with the right guy at the sticks. I need to practice...

Maybe Chris can say whats causing it?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:48 PM
wgeffon

Chris is the man is all......

Wait till you fly one of the Yak's or the 41% Extra..[X(]
Old 06-03-2004, 11:44 PM
TailTwister

I'm gonna show my odd (and perhaps uninitiated) side now, but seriously, I prefer the Mini 3D. I fly it almost 3 to 1 over the Edge (or any other plane I own). The EF Edge is amazing in flight, but the Mini catches folks off guard. The Edge looks like it should fly good, and the Mini, well... It's little and pink after all!

The Mini 3D inspires my confidence. I do waist high harrier circles like it was a foamy or something. When I bring it in to pop it up, the burned lube burns my eyes, the plane is so close. I should order another, before they are gone.

Somebody talk Chris into buying another batch, but this time, hold out for transparent blue with white trim.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

We are working on some new construction techniques with the Mini 3D that should make it both lighter and more durable, as well as a means of making the wing removeable for transport. I can guarantee you that it won't be pink! (Although I was recently reminded that some of the best things in life are pink!)
The Edge does require a bit different technique to Harrier than some are used to, but once you get used to it it locks in and is very stable. My favorite 3D maneuver is the waterfall, done as low as possible, and I wanted the Edge to have "extreme" elevator authority to enhance this maneuver. Our first prototpye of the aircraft had the engine positioned about an inch lower. While this version was slightly easier to Harrier, coupling in knife edge was far more pronounced and the elevator wasn't as effective as we had hoped. I am very satisfied with our production version of this aircraft. We have eliminated almost all coupling in knife edge, waterfalls are as good as it gets, and harriers, once you get used to the technique, are as stable as anything out there.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
TailTwister

Het Chris, think BLUE and think WHITE...

Also, I'm not sure how the wing could be removable and not add some weight. Feel free to astonish me!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Boogie

EXTREME FLIGHT:
I had a small .15 plane and had the wing on a 10mm aluminium tube. Overall construction was very light and it worked well.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:15 AM
captaincrunch-inactive

'lo all,

first post here... im usually over on that "other discussion site" talking about electrics.

I've had my EF edge since april, with an MVVS .49 on the "tuned silencer" (its kind of a half pipe). weight is 4lbs 9oz. and I'm currently swinging an 11.5x4 APC on 5% nitro somewhere around 13k rpm. Although I've been flying off and on for about 8 years, it's my first fun fly plane and I frickin' love it.

one problem I've had is vibration. I've had the header bolts back out twice - once on the maiden, i think i forgot the loctite, and again, a few weeks after the loctite had set up. I've now gone to red loctite and an RTV gasket, and it's on pretty securely. Last week I lost the low-end needle and I'm waiting on a new one in the mail.

has anyone else encountered a similar problem, or can anyone suggest a good way to maybe beef up the rails? should I try to soft mount the engine?

-barrett
Old 06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
TailTwister

My Saito 72 shakes the nose pretty hard too. I've read about others mentioning the vibration. It hasn't caused me any problems as of yet, but I did have the engine mount bolts get loose once. A dot of thick CA on each bolt fixed that right at the field.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

The MVVS is famous for losing the low end needle valve, you have an older version as they have fixed it since then.
I am loving my EF edge with YS63 and APC 13 X 4 fun fly prop. Insane power and lots of good maneuvers. Coming up with some new stuff too. I am having too much fun. Jeff Williams