Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Sledge CG

Old 06-07-2004, 02:04 AM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledge CG

OK guys, I am just getting to balancing my Sledge and this is what I got. 4 5/16 from leading edge of wing with fuel tank mounted outside and balancing plane right side up. Sound close?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Alfster

Default RE: Sledge CG

According to some quick measurements, which may not be entirely accurate, as I was measuring from the bottom of a built and covered wing, the secondary spar is located 4" behind the leading edge of the wing, at the fuselage. That would put your CG at just 5/16" behind the secondary spar. I have my CG at 1/2" behind the secondary spar, or 4 1/2" from the leading edge, and I feel that it is a bit nose heavy.

According to how agile you want the plane to fly, you may want to try it where you have it, then move it back slowly.

Again, this was from quick, dirty measurements, so nothing is carved in stone.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Burrito Bandito

Alfster is right.

If you built your Sledge per plans, meaning the hatches are in about the location on the plans, then you should be able to pinch the fuse even with the leading edge of the hatches and get a good idea as to how she is balancing. This is the LAR method, but it's a good starting point and will help you be towards the nose-heavy side for maiden.

FWIW

J.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:38 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the input guys. Should I also balance this thing side to side because of the tank being on the same side as the Tx and Rx? Also whats the best way to do it?