Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:43 PM
fpdesignco
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

http://ohiomodelplanes.com/46katanaarf/
Finally. Cant wait to put that Saito On this bad boy. Looks like shell do everything the big boys do. Come on dion let get em sent
So how many of you plan on getting one i know im gona.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:58 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

I was gonna get the EF 540T....but now I'm gonna go with the Katana ARF. Need something to replace the SPAD3D I"ve outgrown. Hopemy TT .46 has enough Ballz. Might try to find a .72 4banger. Taking orders tomorrow I guess.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:25 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

I already ordered mine all the stuff I need to build is on hand SO with any luck at all I'll have it Thursday or Friday and put it in the air Saturday mine is getting 5475's all around HS-81 on throttle and a virgin FA-72... dammit I forgot about break in!! well Saturday may still be doable if I can get the engine bench run this week.

John
Old 06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: fpdesignco
http://ohiomodelplanes.com/46katanaarf/
Finally. Cant wait to put that Saito On this bad boy. Looks like shell do everything the big boys do. Come on dion let get em sent
So how many of you plan on getting one i know im gona.
We have a limited supply for this run, then some more in a couple weeks.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:43 PM
cropdusterdave

I thought you weren't taking orders till monday? I got on the pre-purchase list so hope to get mine pretty soon.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
cropdusterdave

Cool! Just paypal'd all my money to em. I'll be anxiouselly awaiting what my wife has to say when the box shows up! I'll post some build pics and whatnot.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:41 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

cropduster... I was on the list also, when I checked the OMP site again they had the buy option up so... I BOUGHT!!! I just checked e-mail and I already have a UPS tracking# I'm sure it just an automated response and it has'nt actually been shipped but... I HAVE A TRACKING#!!! hopefully OMP can get it out the door monday

John
Old 06-27-2004, 07:40 PM
STLPilot

I sent everyone out on "the list" first thing this morning. I still have not posted a few banners on RCU, that will be tomorrow.

If you ordered today, it will ship tomorrow! You will get an automatic email as soon as the order is processed.

Thanks guys ...
Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 AM
PlagueWielder

They have been out in Israel for about a week and almost everyone has one lol. You come to the field and you see 10 at a time. I havent heard anything bad about them yet.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:52 PM
cropdusterdave

Cool, man. This will be my first ARF in 14 years of RCing. My time is very compressed these days. I"m really lookin' forward to getting it and getting it in the air. I just bought a trailor so I have to have more planes.....
Old 06-28-2004, 09:09 PM
fpdesignco

just waiting for my paycheck to roll in then its paypal strait to omp
Old 07-01-2004, 12:40 PM
LowKey3D

UPS just delivered mine. My first profile thats not control-line.

No damage.

Hinges pre glued on control surface sides

This ARF will go together quick. Now I need to see if my ys63 runs otherwise it a saito .72

Los
Old 07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Absolut Yak

Los,

I live in Altamonte and fly with RCACF. I have the GS540P. I'd love to see the Katana fly when it's done. email me.

Doug
[email protected]
Old 07-01-2004, 01:10 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Mine hit the doorstep today. UPS took good care of it, it's all as it should be.

A few comments and a question.

First off, I was a little worried about Dion's (or Mike's?) description of the covering, not knowing what "mid-grade" meant. Well, it's no Ultracote, but I think it's OK. It looks and feels like Monokote in most respects. It does appear to be a little lighter weight (not as thick and more transparent), and may not stand up to the dings as good as Monokote will. I guess that's not saying much, but I was prepared to do a covering job, but I'll keep the ARF covering now.

The plane looks nice. The yellow is a bit see through, but OK, I guess. At hovering distance, I probably won't notice. The checkers and letters are cut from covering material, it appears. I almost expected them to be printed on the covering, as some of the cheaper ARFs do, but it looks great. All the seams look good, and the covering is fairly well applied. I'll spend probably 5 minutes or less with the gun or iron to get it smooth as glass. The dark blue underside of the wing is begging me for some yellow PRO BRO letters, and it will get it.

One thing I found interesting is the ply doublers. The fuselage is stick built, and has 1/8ish ply doublers. They are not mounted on top of a fully sheeted fuselage, as most are. They are flush with ths sheeting, and this looks pretty nice. I guess in a cartwheel situation, it might not be quite as strong, so I guess I'll try not to cartwheel it. Maybe that saves a bit of weight too.

I was a bit disappointed by the single bevel elevator. I like a ton of whip crack on a profile, so I might get out the razor plane and see how hard it will be to pull the covering back and shave the stab. A single bevel is good for most things and most pilots, but I like to be able to do fuselage length waterfalls, so 60+ degrees of elevator throw is the norm here.

The hardware pack looks good. Nothing special about it, but good enough to use.

So here is my question. I'm looking at the wing fairings, and want to get them right. There are no measurements to look at, so I want to test fly the plane without them. After a trim flight or two and necessary CG changes, I would cut the covering to epoxy them on, or even CA them. I'd hate to mount them, then not have them flush with the ailerons. That would look pretty crappy. Anybody see a problem with flying this plane minus the fairings?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 PM
bbmass

Hey Twister, What do you think of the weight? I ordered mine yesterday and I'm a little concerned about the 4.8 lbs they are advertising. I'll be curious to hear how yours fly and what engine you are using. I'll probably use a Magnum 46.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
TailTwister

I'm going with a Saito 72.

As for weight, it doesn't seem heavy, but it's not assembled yet. I'll post when it's weighable.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:36 PM
STLPilot

Twister the wing fairing could not be easier to attach. Just use a straight edge from across the elevator to the wing. Then score the monokote, then attach. The incidences are all at 0 for the ailerons, fairings and elevator. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The elevator is at 45 degrees beveled and is plenty of throw. It will waterfall all day. However just use a dremel if you want to make it a little larger. I'm sure you read the EF Edge thread on Profile Brotherhood where Wayne was talking about too much throw. Well the throw is plenty and is rock solid in harrier as it is. If you want to make it "Pro-Bro throw" then break out your dremel tool. The next version will be double beveled.

I've got Saito 72 on mine and I'm hair under 4.5 lbs. Mike has OS type motor and is 4.25 lbs.

BTW I flew mine without the fairings first time ... so no probs.

D
Old 07-01-2004, 02:03 PM
TailTwister

I'll probably go without the fairings for a while then. That way I can adjust things and not blow the look I want. Even a small amount of difference would probably bother me. I often use the ailerons to help trim for pitch problems in KE flight, and also to get the right amount of sink on final. I've never got one exactly right on the first try. It might boil down to flight preference, as to where I like the trims to be.

I'll probably fly it 6 or 8 times and then mount them. Do you think CA would be OK? I don't imagine there is a ton of load on them, but I really don't know.

As for PRO BRO throws, it might have to happen. Most 3D needs 45 degrees, or even a little less, but 2 per second waterfalls need a bit more. [>:]
Old 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM
STLPilot

I stripped the monokote off them and went with 10 minute epoxy. My test would just be if you can pick the plane up with them then they are good enough.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:09 PM
bbmass

Dion, what are the fairing for, never seen them on a plane before.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

arrrggghhhh [:@].....guys, don't make me buy another plane. I have not even finished my EF Edge yet.
Dion, when will the next Badge of ARF's with Ultracote covering be released ? Maybe I can resist and wait . Same color (yellow) ?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:32 PM
TailTwister

The full sacle Katana had the fairings. Some say to imporve lift, but some say to cause the center of the wing to stall before the tips. Therefore eliminating tip stalls. On this plane, they are there just to make it look like a Katana, and most likely do very little.

Ulf- Go for it, it's not as pretty as the EF, but common dude!

I did the double bevel in mine. It took about 10 minutes. I gently pulled the covering away from the TE of the stab, and cut a slight bevel in it. The covering ironed back really nicely. The covering was starting to stick at 200 degrees on my iron. After that, I cut the elevator clearance a little steeper in the fuselage. I now easily can get 60 degrees or more. I just used some thick CA to seal the wood in the fuselage.

The wing is mounted and ailerons hinged, and the tail is mounted and hinged. Next, I'm adding the gear, then radio stuff.

Also, on an alternate work surface, I have been assembling an EF Mini 3D simultaneously. It is in the same degree of assembly. I started the Mini at about 11am, and I started the Katana at about 1:30. Not bad consider in I stopped for lunch, and I'm also doing my laundry. These planes are getting so easy to assemble, it's silly. I hope to soon be able to assemble a profile in my sleep.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:42 PM
matlok

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

I'll probably go without the fairings for a while then. That way I can adjust things and not blow the look I want. Even a small amount of difference would probably bother me. I often use the ailerons to help trim for pitch problems in KE flight, and also to get the right amount of sink on final. I've never got one exactly right on the first try. It might boil down to flight preference, as to where I like the trims to be.

I'll probably fly it 6 or 8 times and then mount them. Do you think CA would be OK? I don't imagine there is a ton of load on them, but I really don't know.

As for PRO BRO throws, it might have to happen. Most 3D needs 45 degrees, or even a little less, but 2 per second waterfalls need a bit more. [>:]
If it helps, my fairings (and Clay's, etc.) are just glued on with CA and we haven't had any problems so far. Violent blenders, full throttle walls, etc. still no problems. We did remove a strip of covering first like Dion said so they would be glued to wood instead of covering. As far as the incidence, on the KIT version they are aligned parallel to the bottom of the fuse, which because of the fuse's sleek shape means they are at a slight negative incidence. (Their t.e. winds up being about ~1/8" above the l.e. of the stab.) Then you just line up the ailerons with the fairings. I'm very comfortable with the plane so it's hard for me to tell, but KeyKey and Jess flew it and said there's no noticable coupling in KE. Clay and Vernon said the same about theirs. Not sure about the ARF though; it's not the same airframe as the kit, and I've never flown one.

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

The next version will be double beveled.
Any other plans for the next version?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:57 PM
STLPilot

As Matt said these are not the same ARF's as the kits. The company that manufactured these airplanes are now working on our smaller ARF's due late summer. I can assure you that the OMP planes that they are producing will have all top quality covering, hardware and most especially the OMP quality you would expect having our names on the box.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:55 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Got mine today also. Did any of you have any damaged ribs?
Mine got beat up pretty bad by UPS and busted two of the ribs. I was hoping to fly this one as it came from the factory but I guess I will have to pull off some covering (and recover) to fix the ribs.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.