Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Weighing a plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weighing a plane

I personally dont know anyone with a scale that could weigh my plane. Since I tried to save weight while building, i'm really interested in how my burrito came out, . I just dont know how I should go about getting it weighed. I have seen scales in a post office but dont know if they would welcome my burrito in there. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
ghee-grose

Default RE: Weighing a plane

Try one of those "Mailbox Etc." stores. Theyr'e kinda like a UPS/Postal place and they have scales. Besides, they're not as busy as a post office would be.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Burrito Bandito

Also, if you have a FedEx sub-station close to you you could try there. I have one close to me, and if I need to, I just go up there around 9 or 9:30 p.m. When they first saw me walking in the door, they said "you want us to ship that?!" When I told them that I just wanted to place it on their scale for a second, they said sure. Guess they were so relieved that they didn't have to mess with it, they didn't give weighing it a second thought. We chatted for a few about what it was and did I really build it and off I went with the information I came for. I take a plane in there from time to time, and if the folks who were in there the first time are not around, usually one of the employees will say something like...."I heard a story about a guy who came in one night to weigh a model airplane. Guess that would be you." We chat, I weigh my plane and I'm outta there.

Just an FYI FWIW.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: coveredup

I personally dont know anyone with a scale that could weigh my plane. Since I tried to save weight while building, i'm really interested in how my burrito came out, . I just dont know how I should go about getting it weighed. I have seen scales in a post office but dont know if they would welcome my burrito in there. Any suggestions?

thanks
WalMart sells fish scales that work pretty good. I bought one that is digital and is accurate between 0 to 50 pounds. That should cover just about anything I build for a while
Old 07-22-2004, 02:32 PM
KLRico

What is the resolution of your fish scale?

I usually use a triple beam balance at work that we use to measure 2-part adhesives.

Digital scales are great, many of them measure to 0.1 gram, but they are spendy. About $100 last I remember.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have a digital scale that I got at Staples office supply. I got it on sale for $34. It can handle up to 5 lbs with 0.1 oz resolution. It also reads in grams but I don't recall the resolution.
Later,,,Matt
Old 07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
JRC
My Feedback: (1)

The Wal-Mart fish scales a NOT any good for weighing a plane if you really want to know how much it weighs
when they say accurate for 0 to 50lbs they really mean it can weigh up to 50 lbs but it may be off by plus-minus 50 lbs

Have you ever encountered a fisherman that didn't exaggerate how big his fish was

Seriously - I have tried one and it is not accurate at all - somewhere is the plus-minus 1lb range
varies all over the place even weighing the same plane

Don't waste you $$ on one of these............
Old 07-22-2004, 04:46 PM
bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: JRC

The Wal-Mart fish scales a NOT any good for weighing a plane if you really want to know how much it weighs
when they say accurate for 0 to 50lbs they really mean it can weigh up to 50 lbs but it may be off by plus-minus 50 lbs

Have you ever encountered a fisherman that didn't exaggerate how big his fish was

Seriously - I have tried one and it is not accurate at all - somewhere is the plus-minus 1lb range
varies all over the place even weighing the same plane

Don't waste you $$ on one of these............
Sorry ... fraid not. The scale will measure UP TO 50 pounds. I checked mine using three planes against a FedEx scale and it was accurate to the ounce. I may not be as picky as some but I think if FedEx says my plane weighs 5 lbs 7.6 ounces and my $25 scale just says 5 lbs 7 ounces ... I'm a happy camper. Hey, even if it said 5 lbs 8 ounces I would be happy. Just how accurate do you want to be on something like this? If you want more than that, prepare to pay for it. I myself just use it to "get an idea" as to what it weighs.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:27 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Yeah, but will it give you price per Lb in 1962 dollars (and cents!)??

Old 07-22-2004, 08:41 PM
bonedaddy41

Nope. Mine won't do that
Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 PM
ChuckAuger

Hey bonedaddy, I used to hang out in Lake Dallas, flew as a guest at the Falcons club by the old Lake Dallas dam...was talking to CoveredUp about the new and old NDRCC fields, Bratoria park, Renner Road, and I've flown at a field in Hurst, can't remember who they were..right off the 820 at Randol Mill road..
Old 07-22-2004, 10:07 PM
bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: ChuckAuger

Hey bonedaddy, I used to hang out in Lake Dallas, flew as a guest at the Falcons club by the old Lake Dallas dam...was talking to CoveredUp about the new and old NDRCC fields, Bratoria park, Renner Road, and I've flown at a field in Hurst, can't remember who they were..right off the 820 at Randol Mill road..
I live about 2 minutes from the Falcon's field and fly there a couple of times a months ... but I'm not a member I am a member of NDRCC and fly at the Eagle field (the paved runway) 11 miles East of Denton. The old NDRCC field (Warren) is going away some day soon because of an ownership change in the land. I think the one in Hurst is the Mid-cities club.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
ChuckAuger

Cool! I missed hanging out at the party cove right off the Falcons field (if you are that close, you must know about the parties on the party cove!!!!!!!!!!) this 4th of July. Had some friends lived on Hook St, (almost the last street to the left before the park) right on the lake, we used to hang at the cove and check the babes [8D].