Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP hits South Africa

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP hits South Africa

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Spacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP hits South Africa

Between all the chaos going on my side I thought I'd never get around to getting my monster in the sky but it finally happened! Unfortunately weather did not permit us to much flying as winds were making flying near impossible. You will notice the beer in a pic as we had to resort to socializing on Saturday due to stormy gusts. Even the heli guys were grounded and believe me even the guys with all the skills didn't consider taking the birds out.
Late Saturday afternoon I couldn't hold it in anymore and we started making plans to sneak the maiden in. I had about 4 helpers out on the runway to help snatch the plane as soon as she touched down so she wouldn't get blown away. The guys were great in helping time the gusts so we'd miss the worst on the landing.

Details:
OMP 47'' Yak
OS .50 SX for power, APC 12.25X3.75 wide blade prop
JR radio gear. Servos are ES-539s and a STD on throttle

The bird came to 4pounds and about 1oz dry weight. Or well in the terms I know 1850grams. Power is pretty amazing and vertical is more than what is essentially needed. The engine is still running in and well the Yak is it's first home so throttle response is still very slow. I run a 6oz tank and flight times are still very limited due to the rich running motor but I guess i'm going to be going to about 8minutes.

Tiny flight report:
Obviously the wind didn't allow for too much 3D but a huge smile was quickly induced. Harriers were great upright but I couldn't do them for much duration as she quickly got blown down the runway. Hovers lock right in and are super easy. Elevators seemed easy. Flat spins upright and inverted are a breeze. Knife edge spins are solid. Pinweels are super tight and great fun. They obviously got the heli guys talking. All in all rudder and elevator authority is CRAZY!!

I don't quite know yet what OMP means by the less stable statement because this thing did not show a tiny bad tendency at any time. I don't know yet if it was just me that's used to flying the funtana that needs constant attention but all in all I wish I didn't have to work this week. Obviously as usual winds are dead quiet this Monday and i'm about to cry. I will get some flying pics as soon as possible as Sunday no one were at the field and I don't own a digi myself yet. Sunday's weather were a wee bit better but still didn't give us much time on the sticks. Hope I can get all the ups and downs together soon to give a better opinion on the bird. I guess you have to bare in mind that this is my first fully capable 3D bird apart from the shocky and up until now I'm blown away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34523.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	175136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17763.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	175137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85334.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	175138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93604.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	175139  
Old 09-20-2004, 03:35 AM
Spacey

Default RE: OMP hits South Africa

Name:	Db86051.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	175140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28096.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	175141  
Old 09-20-2004, 09:22 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Spacey,

Congratulations dude on a fine ship. Just wait til your winds let up and then you'll be having serious fun. Actually the 47" Edge 540 is even more stable in the hover and harriers than the Yak, bu the Yak is a bit more nimble in the air. Both are obviously awesome 3d ships.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Spacey

Yeah Mike i'm still caught up between which one to go for next. Guess I'll have to get the Katana and the Edge.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Spacey

Some Flying pics. [8D]

Name:	Ay73260.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	179319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75082.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	179320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43402.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	179321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98122.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	179322  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Spacey

Vid coming soon! Well I'm not sure how soon exactly but it is being worked on. I just have to get my thumbs all in gear to make it worth while watching.

Name:	Ig11918.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	179325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54804.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	179326  
Old 10-04-2004, 06:39 AM
AFSalmon

Spacey,

Really nice pics, be sure to upload some to the OMP gallery. So is the engine spinning up any quicker? The 12.25 x 3.75 prop should be a great combination with that engine. We use that prop frequently on the .46 engines so I'd think the .50 would transition even quicker.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Spacey

O yeah thanks for reminding me! LOL

No the motor is still giving me all kinds of head aches. I also thought it would be a great choice of prop but i'm starting to wonder. It's not that bad anymore but I think to really get comfortable I'll need to get it a little better. My friends all say I shouldn't change anything and just burn more nitro. Apparently the motor is supposed to only wake up after the 25th or so tank. So i'll be patient a little longer. I got the Yak dialed now though. Pinwheels are great and waterfalls are a breeze now. If I could just buy some thumbs somwhere to get the inverted harrier figured out. Rolling harriers are easy as well, great fun standing in one place with some wind.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:19 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Add/shift more tail weight if you want to make your inverted harriers easier. Enough so that it outside loops inverted hands off.

This way you just apply throttle and rudder.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:46 AM
AFSalmon

Nah Dion, that's cheating! LOL I actually did that on my 80" edge as it was tail heavy and it makes it more difficult I think to control in the inverted harrier. I'm learning really well on my trusty 47 Edge profile. Funny how after all these profiles I go back to the original one designed to be a 3d trainer! I've got them pretty good now and even teased the ground within a few inches. Dang weather is turning bad now here in OH though.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:36 AM
Spacey

I think I have figured it out. Over the weekend I was tempting fate with the shockflyer (OK ok ok there is virtually no pucker factor but still!) I am going to spill the beans here and make a fool out of myself . I have figured out that it's simply a mental block i'm having. Most of the time the plane tends to want to slide the tail out, meaning the tail wants to move down and line up with the motor vertically. This is where I get stuck. I can't force my brain to tell my right thumb to pull up elevator to force the tail back up. I think it's one of those rules my instructors welded into my head to NEVER pull up when inverted. It's going to take alot of flying on the sim to get this worked out. I can't quite figure it yet because on AFP I have no problem wrestling it through on any aeroplane. But as soon as I try it in real life I get too nervous and start losing track of the basics I have learned on Aerofly Pro. I have gotten much better though. I just need to put my pride in my pocket and face the facts that I will have to dork the shockflyer some more in order to get the block out of my head.