Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Somethin extra engine position?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Somethin extra engine position?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
lakrits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin extra engine position?

Hello, im about to change engine on my SE.
I want to use the same mounting-nuts in the firewall so i have drilled some new holes in my new engine mount to make it fit.
Unfortunately my new engine mount is different compared to the old one. My new engine is now placed 5 milimeters lower than it is supposed to be. Do you think this will have any great effects on flight performance??
/Richard
Old 09-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Mikerjf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Somethin extra engine position?

Might have a tendency to pitch up under power and the rolls may get a little sloppier. Should be correctable with a little down thrust if you've got the prop clearance.

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Somethin extra engine position?

Thrust line is always critical. Get it right, as per the manf. recs. You can always knock the old blind nuts out by putting long bolt in them slightly, then tap then back into the fuse. Seal the holes with tooth picks, or small dowels and epoxy. Then install the new, different mounts per the mount manufacturers instructions and keeping the thrust line at the plane builders recomention between 12 and 6 o'clock and 3 and 9 o'clock. This usually means some right and down thrust, so the mount may be off to the left and a little up on the firewall, so the prop center is on the proper thrust line. If the model is statically balanced for and aft and laterally, then fly a vertical up line and check if it goes right with throttle increase. at level flight, if it rises drastically on throttel increase, you need more down thrust. If it tries to turn left on throttle increase, then you need more right thrust. I recently bought a new U Can Do .60, that had the firewall improperly installed with a left thrusted engine. Thought GP knew what they were doing, and had a real surprise in the air. I am now one degree to the right and about 1 degree down and feeling much better now. Hope this helps.