Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Glue for Balsa to Foam??

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Glue for Balsa to Foam??

Old 10-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glue for Balsa to Foam??

Whats the best glue to use to glue the balsa sheeting onto the foam fuse. I just got a OMP 47" Edge. Does any glue work other than the Gorilla glue? Was wondering if something Titebond would work. I've heard horror stories about usin the poly glue and the sheeting sliding off the foam if you dont use enough weight. Thanks, JT
Old 10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Rc-Warehouse-USA
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glue for Balsa to Foam??

I used 3M part# 051135-08074 Spray Trim Adhesive on my 33% extra with no issues. It is a contact type adhesive spray both sides let dry to a tack then lay the foam on a flat surface start at one end stick down being sure to keep the part flat on the building board. The only down fall is you get one try once it is glued there is no removing it!
Old 10-09-2004, 03:16 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I have used polyurethane (e.g. gorilla glue) and epoxy. I like the polyurethane best. Use plenty of pressure with any glue. Most foam will take up to 5 pounds per square inch before it crushes. So a 300 square inch wing can be weighted down with more than 1000 pounds of weight (or more). If you only put 100 pounds of weight on the wing, the adhesion is not as good.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I use either Elmers Probond or Gorilla glue. If you put a couple of pins through the balsa/fpam assembly before you weight it down you should not have any problems with it moving on you.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:50 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

All good ideas. You can even use Elmers Probond thinned down slightly with water.....so I've heard. Never tried that though. The urethane glues like Gorilla glue actually expand into the wood and foam thus creating an incredible bond. Just laid one up last night. Use the pins or toothpicks through the corners to hold the sheeting in place. Put about 200 lbs on a 40 size fuselage and let her sit for several hours. Piece of cake.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

JT Indiana, read this post at the bottom of page one from me. Saves me typing it again.
http://www.the******************.com...er=asc&start=0
Jeff Williams
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Contact cement I've used for wing sheeting. Coat both surfaces and let them dry, then lay it on. Bonds tight and is light.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Bobsean

Im currently finishing up my 47" Yak build which is essentialy the exact same plane as your edge but just a different profile outline. For the part were you glue the fuse sheeting to the precut foam fus, I went to Home Depot and Lowes and could find any of the gorrilla glues and stuff so i used the polyurathane liquid nails stuff. The product came in a cualk gun tube whick made it fairly easy to apply, then i spread it evenly all over the foam and applied the sheeting. Don't forget to press out all the exess glue and apply lots of weight to keep the sheeting down while it cures.
-Sean-
Old 10-18-2004, 08:15 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one mentioned, the method for Pro-bond (urethane) glue. Cover the skin with the glue evenly, then squegy the excess off with an old credit cad or similar straight piece of plastic. Moisten the Foam liberally with a spray bottle. The glue is water activated, so when you pin the sheeting to the foam and replace the foam outside shucks over the assembly, load it down with plenty of weight. You really need to have a very level surface, or shim the shucks true, which ever is best for you. I like old phone books, catalogues or other flexible large heavy books for the first few levels, then some wood planking and sand bags, cinder blocks or anything that will give you plenty of weight so the wing stays true and the foaming urethane glue can seep out around the edges. This stuff really expands with the moisture, so it will only penetrate the foam well, when plenty of weight is used. I think it's much stronger and less time intensive than epoxy. Leave it 24 hours, so glue dries before removing the weight, trimming and doing the other side of the wing.

Hope this helps, have fun.