Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Should I try to fly it?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Should I try to fly it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 11:29 PM
Baitshack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I try to fly it?

I cracked the fuse on my Tower Fun 51 profile yesterday and glued the tail back on a bit off. As you can see in the picture, the tail has a slight twist and isn't sqare with the rest of the plane. I really don't feel like fixing it again. Do you think it will fly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22167_6105.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	13982  
Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Sure it'll fly.
Its just going to like to turn to the right.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

The engine vibration might get to it... If it does, the whole tail is likely to pop off during flight.. Just a thought, as my profile planes shake ALOT! Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:54 PM
YNOT

Default 2 fly or not to fly????

FLY IT!
Old 08-20-2002, 02:02 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Heck yeah

If you have any right thrust in the engine, take it out, you won't need it anymore he he. This plane is going to do inverted flat spins much better now ha ha.
DKjens
Old 08-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Fly it or not?

First of all, how did you glue it? If it is with epoxy, you can use a heat gun to soften the epoxy and then level it out.

I have seen quite of few airplanes that nothing was square and still fly pretty decent, so try it. You may have more fun with it now that its already been damaged. You'll take more risk with it.
Have Fun!
Kevin
Old 08-20-2002, 08:27 PM
latch66

I've seen worse fly. And fly well.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Do it !

HELL YEAH !!! Fly it, that's why they call it a FUN FLY
Let us know how it went.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:32 PM
Baitshack

Well, it was an exciting day. After checking and re-checking everything I cranked her up and gave it a go. It flew a bit sloppy at first, I made some trim adjustments on the ailerons and started working on the rudder. When I would pull up into a loop it wouldn't come out straigt. I kept adding more rudder until I had full left trim and it wold track nicely through the loop.

Right about then the linkage popped loose from the throttle servo arm and it was stuck wide open. No problem, I'll circle the approach end of the field until the fuel runs out. My 6 oz tank that normally give me 7-8 minutes of flight decided to run for what seemed like 20 minutes. Eventually the fuel ran out and I brought it in. The crash last weekend knocked the battery forward in the wing and shifted the CG up. With the CG shifted up it made one of the best approaches and landing I've made yet. Much better than it ever was before.

I made trim adjusments on the clevises and sent it up again. This time it really flew nice. Inverted flat spins were better than ever before. About halfway through the flight the throttle linkage pops loose again, this time the trottle was a bit above idle. I've never been so tense in my short R/C career. Going into the wind it would do ok, with the wind was a different story. It was just above stall speed with the wind, and was getting mushy quite often. I made a few landing approaches thinking I could force it down on the runway but it was too fast. I thought about bouncing it in hard, hoping I could dig the prop into the dirt and kill it. I decided against it as I didn't want to damage my gear. I nursed it up to altitude and waited for the tank ran dry. After a while the engine quit and I made another perfect dead stick landing, once again amazed by how smooth it came in due to the CG shift.

All in all a good day and a learning experience.
In the end it all worked out for the best.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:36 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Throttle linkage comming off twice in one day??? What was the problem?
Old 08-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Baitshack

It was on the servo horn end.

I had screw lock pushrod connectors on the servo horn. I'm thinking the brass part that goes through the horn was wore down, the little backing nut slipped off both times.