Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

accel hobbies PITTS PROFILE!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

accel hobbies PITTS PROFILE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: accel hobbies PITTS PROFILE!

Hey Mike, I enjoyed meeting you in Nashville this past year. Are you going to be able to convince Dion to come this time?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

subscribe TTT
got my eye on this or the omp boxxer. I like the idea of the glass rod fuse for longivity.
my consern is weather 1300 sq.in is an overkill. I hope accel puts a video on there site also..
Bugs.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: bugsiegel

subscribe TTT
got my eye on this or the omp boxxer. I like the idea of the glass rod fuse for longivity.
my consern is weather 1300 sq.in is an overkill. I hope accel puts a video on there site also..
Bugs.
From the pics it looks like the ailerons are huge.....so you dont have have as much airfoiled surface as you might think.

Then to on bipes you can only figure about 75% of the wing area you actually have due blanketing/aircompression an so forth that bipes have.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Heck Mike, we are trying to get Brother Lomcevak to Memphis. You know where he lives, right?

And if I can make it to Mempho, so can you Bro!!!

At a minimum, we will catch up in Effingham.

How does it go, "Have an Effing-good time in Effingham".
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

OK just did some math.
on the pitts the wing load comes out to a super low of 8.83oz psf
on the boxxer the wing load is 12.8oz psf at 5lbs or 11.5oz psf. at 4.5lbs . so lets call it 12oz psf.
the only thing I can reference this to is the Menace Plus because that is a plane I built many times and the only plane I have built with a scale at bench side. my first two menaces finished heavier than 4 lbs and after a many repairs they ended up at 4.5bls.
although they were heavier than the little .32 wanted they still flew and were good planes for flat spins, inverted flight, spot landing and triks like that
the last two menaces were built light and finished a 3.25lbs which brought the wing load to less that 10oz psf. although they all flew nice the last two were light in the air. the down side to this is a windy day. although wind can be fun, these planes get pushed around in 7+mph wind.
now taking this information back to the pitts profile, I have two questions. anyone have experience flying a powered plane with a wing load of less than 9oz psi? and I'm not talking about taking it up doing three of the roops and landing, I mean flying around the field.
and my next question is this, because my funfly planes have been in the .32 class I don't really know what is considered to heavy for a .46 funfly. at what point is a .46 (fx) agressive to pull out of a hover and at what point is it struggling to pull out of a hover?
thanks
Bugs.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
TailTwister

The lightest load I ever flew was the Mini 3D, and it was about 9.5 ounces per inch or so. It was, by a fair margin, the most fun plane I ever owned. Remember also, a bipe does not "feel" as light as the math says. Figure the load using about 75% of the wing area. Then the math will be a little closer to real "feel".

I've seen hot 46s pull 6 pound planes out of hovers. It is at more like 80% power, instead of 50% to 55%. Still, it can do it. Some folks would feel like using 80% power is struggling, but that is subjective, I guess.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
3Dn4life

This is a very nice looking plane, and it does have an awful lot of wing area. Cant wait to see some vids or something more than the pic to see how it really flys.....
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
SWICK
My Feedback: (4)

[:@]
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 AM
TailTwister

Hey guys, I just wanted to toss out an update for those interested in the Pitts. First, the good news. The boxes are in Chicago now. And now the bad news. There was an error in the linkage set up for the ailerons. The error has been corrected in the instruction book, and the new linkage hardware is on it's way to Accel already. We expect the airplanes to ship to customers in two weeks.

For those wanting a peek at the plane: http://accelhobby.com/video/pitts_s2c_40.wmv These are pre-production planes, so colors are various. Accel shipped some of us solid white planes to cut the cost of producing the test planes. Some trim was added to a few planes at home. To see the factory ARF colors, visit the site. www.AccelHobby.com

The best part of this plane, in my opinion, is the rudder authority. I don't have the education to say why it is as it is, but this is the most active and powerful rudder I've flown. The extra POP in Yaw is a blast. Multiple pinwheels are clean and really interesting to see. It yaws almost as hard as it pitches.

Anyway, thanks for waiting, the plane is worth it. I'll check back, when the new hardware is in the boxes, and Accel has begun to ship.

Also, here is the obligatory tail touch during my maiden. She is on her way back up in the shot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84378.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	225929  
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
QMan
Banned

OK, here's some video of it. Pilots are me, McDDD and twister. Planes are in the warehouse and will ship in a few weeks.

[link=http://accelhobby.com/video/pitts_s2c_40.wmv]http://accelhobby.com/video/pitts_s2c_40.wmv[/link]
Old 02-07-2005, 11:49 AM
TailTwister

For those that have been waiting, the good news is that the planes are in the boxes, and in Chicago. The bad news is that there was an error regarding the aileron linkages. The manual has been corrected, and the new hardware is on it's way to Accel now. The hardware is expected in two weeks, and there should be no further delay.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting, these things happen.

The video posted shows three different planes, in three different colors. The plane flying over the snow is the color that the production planes will be.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a link to a video of the Accel Pitts in action.
http://accelhobby.com/video/pitts_s2c_40.wmv
Old 02-08-2005, 12:18 AM
seanychen

I saw the video. It's truly awesome. Looks like it's approaching the size-to-weight ratio of the electric 3D fliers.

By any chance, is the Accel Pitts 40 going to show up at Toledo for pick-up?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 PM
3Dn4life

Wow that looks like it flys pretty nice, im sold!

Couple of questions for you guys that have flown them... Are they shipping them yet?

So it weights around 5.5 lbs right... so it should run well on a strong 46 2s right??

Thanks guys
Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
TailTwister

Shipping in less than 2 weeks, pending the new hardware arrives on time. Yes, any smokin' 46 to 53...

Mine was 5.0 pounds with the 17 ounce Saito 82.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
rcs36

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

Shipping in less than 2 weeks, pending the new hardware arrives on time. Yes, any smokin' 46 to 53...

Mine was 5.0 pounds with the 17 ounce Saito 82.
OK... done deal!!!! I stated earlier that if they sold the plane for $199, and they priced it at that, I would buy it. Now the video sealed the deal. I will order mine first thing in the morn.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 PM
TailTwister

Oh, did I neglect to mention the price reduction?

Thanks for posting rcs36.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:22 AM
rcs36

ORIGINAL: TailTwister

Oh, did I neglect to mention the price reduction?

Thanks for posting rcs36.

No problem! i just seen that they reduced the price. My first bipe!!! How Cool!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM
seanychen

$9.99 shipping. Now that's reasonable shipping.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:21 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Let us know how you guys like the plane.....pics an vids would be great.
If you have any trouble during assembly just hollar.......
Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap. a thread three pages long on the Accel Pitts without anyone actually having it![] I was excited two pages ago now I guess the one I have coming in a few days may be one of the first. This thread wasted to many pages on pap. When mine arrives I'll start a new thread. From all the stuff I've read the past few days I'm either going to be really happy or really disappointed. I'll let you know either way.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

Hey guys! Any word on when these bipes will be ready to ship?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 AM
TailTwister

Hopefully less than two weeks. We are waiting for the new hardware packs to get to Accel in Chicago. The planes are boxed up and waiting to receive the new hardware.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:16 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tail,

you mean that plane i'm expecting in a couple days is not on it's way at all or is on it's way with subpar hardware?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
TailTwister

I do not know. I'll find out today. I was told a few days ago that the delay was about two weeks. I do not know, maybe it is all done, and I'm what is behind.

The hardware isn't subpar, just not esasy to work with. The designer had a way to connect the ailerons, and none of the test pilots really liked it. We banged our heads on our desks for a couple of days, and two enlightened folks (neither of which was me) came up with a good way, but it required different control horns to be done easily. I was the guinnie pig on the re-do, and I was able to execute the directions with the old hardware. The new hardware just makes the change easier.

I'll find out what is going on with your box and post here. Maybe the new hardware is in, or maybe it is coming behind your box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.