Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Boxxer vs. Sig Ultimate Profile...my 1st build...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Boxxer vs. Sig Ultimate Profile...my 1st build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxxer vs. Sig Ultimate Profile...my 1st build...

OK...here's the situation...I got a Saito 65, and it turns out that it wasn't a very good deal...but that's a different story. Yes, it's heavy at 19 oz...(YS 63-18oz, Saito 72-16.6oz, Saito 82-19.2oz, etc.) Anyway, I want to build my first plane. I want this plane to be a bipe. I have a laser incidence meter, so setting the wings and stab is something I'm aware of and prepared to do.

Also, to further bore you, I'll mention that I have been using the MPI voltage regulator and LiPo batteries. This saves at least a couple of ounces...so in my warped mind, I figure that using the LiPos makes up for the overweight motor.

Anyway...on to my main question: Boxxer vs Sig Ulti. vs GP Ultimate 40

I'll focus on the profile planes...but please chime-in on the GP ultimate if you have any 1st hand info about it.

Boxxer and Sig Ulti both weigh the same (4.5#) and share a 42 inch wingspan. The Boxxer has a longer overall length by 5 1/2 inches!

Boxxer is CNC cut, Sig is Laser cut. Again, this is my first build, as my other planes have all been ARFs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM
kolarshooter

Default RE: Boxxer vs. Sig Ultimate Profile...my 1st build...

How do the Boxxer and Sig Ulti balance? I'm under the impression that balancing the Sig with a 4S engine requires me to modify the build by putting servos in the tail. I'd rather have them there, anyway.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll definitly want the servos in the tail. i'm doing that to mine this spring. had to add weight to the tail to balance.[&o] i've built the sig kit (actually, i'm doubling the size of it now. check the build out) and it's easy to build. it is really not a big 3D type plane though. fun to mess with. does the best full thottle, completely flat spins iv'e ever seen personaly. knifes good. mine is still a little nose heavy. gonna fix that though. enlarge the ailerons, rudder, and elevator which will help with the 3D moves.
from looking at what you fly, i would recommend the Boxxer. looks easy to build. anyone out there build one yet?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
falcon6171
My Feedback: (5)

im trying to build one now, the kit builds easy but the plans are lacking detail so you must follow the directions carefully and sometimes i must read the directions over and over to figure out what there saying but thats just me. i like to build off the plans and you just cant do it with these drawings. ive built 2 other omp kits (the 65"yak profile and the 540edge profile) and they were great. in my opinion the boxxer plans could use some work
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Rumple

The Boxxer rocks. That's the designer, Jeremey Chin, in the pic flying his Boxxer last weekend in Houston. Great 3D plane. Forget the Sig Ultimate, its not a 3D'er (in fact I have a Sig Ultimate kit that I'd love to get rid of). Jeremy has an OS 50 2-stroke in the plane in the pic. A Saito 72, 82, or YS 63 would be great. Your Saito will be a little lacking, but it will fly it.

K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52560.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	248547  
Old 03-25-2005, 10:58 AM
push rodz

Yeah - I agree 100% with Rumple - the Boxxer is definately the better choice. I've seen them both flown by very competent pilots and the Boxxer really rocks! Jeremy was really performing great at Houston and his plane will hang with the best of them.

Besides being very 3D capable (afterall - it was designed for 3D) it is also very durable - unlike the Sig Ulti. You really have to see the Boxxer first hand to appreciate how well it handles and performs.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 AM
WMB

So what if a person is more into sport/fun-fly rather than 3-D? Is the Boxxer still the way to go? I am thinking of getting the Sig kit before it goes the way of the Doh-Doh bird. I think the Boxxer is only an ARF now, no kit.
Thanks, MikeB
Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Correct, the Boxxer is only available in ARF format right now.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM
TailTwister

The Sig builds easy as can be, and for sport, flies OK.

The Boxxer is a 3D machine, but can do everything under the sun.

Hands down, a better flying plane then the Sig. I've had two of those...

As for durability, the Boxxer ARF has the dual carbon reinforced spine that Mike worked out for the Fusion. It's tough. I've cartwheeled mine a couple of times, losing only the prop.

My Boxxer has a Saito 82, Spektrum AR7000 receiver, 5 cell NiCad, and 821 servos. That's a pretty standard set up, and I'm at 4.2 pounds.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:23 PM
falcon6171

the boxxer is the best hovering plane that i have owned it will hover with hardly any input it does flat spins and inverted flat spins with ease it makes me look alot better than i really am so my vote is the Boxxer, just a note im running a satio 82a on the original kit version mike are you going to produce kits again?