Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Hard Bet Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:49 AM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Bet Build

I thought I would do something rarely done in this forum.... A build thread But, not just any build thread, a build thread that isn't a profile... I bought this Hard Bet kit from a guy here (Thanks Victor) when I was looking for a 40 sized hybrid. I must say that this kit doesn't require much in the way of explaination and that's why these are the first pics.... Before I knew it the fuse was all framed up and I didn't have any pics... Oh well, this is as good a place to start as any. The wings are actually modified wings off a beat up old Somethin' Extra that I have... I'm just too lazy to build up a wing if I don't have to

Here's a link to the HB MKIII for everyone who isn't up on the HB... More pics to come...

http://www.hsrcm.com/hb_mk3_overview.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81595.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	251829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99123.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	251830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68497.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	251831  
Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hard Bet Build

I appreciate the compliment of how easy the fuse framed up. I can't tell you how many hours I spent in the design to ensure that it came out light, strong, rigid, and ease of building. I will be currious to hear how it flies with the Something Extra wings. Did you modify the old wings to take the wing tube that came with your HB Mk3 kit? Or - Use the SIG wing tube? I didn't think that they were the same size - though I could be wrong! If the wing tubes are the same size, it would be nice if you built the HB Mk3 wings as well, and compared the 2 different wing sets - I already noticed, you don't want to have to build the wings unless you have to!
Well - enjoy your modified HB Mk3, and please don't hesitate to ask me any questions that you may have regarding the kit or its flight characteristics.
Happy Flying!
Kevin
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
diggs_74

Kevin,

The kit I got was a short kit (laser cut pieces and plans only) so yes, I used the SSE wing tube. I'm pretty excited to get this done and ring it out a little. I've got a 50 2 stroke going on the front so it shouldn't be lacking power even if I let the weight get up a bit, which I won't I to am a little curious to see how it does with the SSE wings. I think the wing area is pretty close, but the airfoil is a little different. I guess I'll find out right after take off

Can I just use standard servos in this? What about the rudder? I was thinking about using something a little lighter on the ailerons but haven't decided yet.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Kevins_RC

I have not had any problems in using std. servos all the way around, though I have lost quite a few of the mini servos (HiTec 205, 225s stripping gears in flight) trying to use them on the ailerons. I have had others tell me that they run the mini servos all the time on the ailerons of my designs and do not have any problems with them. I guess that I am too rough on mine <LOL> I install the Dubro giant scale servo arms - which doesn't help with servo life either!
BTW - all I run is the Webra 50 with a long (or extra long) Mac header and tune pipe on my Fun-Flys.
I only offered short kits. I tried offering 'long' kits but had too many issues with the balsa stick suppliers. And I never liked the hardware that the kit suppliers offered. I would always just throw it out. I guess my standards were too high and too different. So.... I went to short kits only.
The HB Mk3 was designed to fly fast as well as slow. I would guess that with the SSE wings, rule out the FAST part! The SSE wing design is thicker and blounter at the leading edge.
Also, I presume that you got the instruction manual as well. If not - and this maybe too late, but you can download the instruction manual off of my website for FREE!
Let me know how it flies
Kevin
Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
diggs_74

I got the manual... I am currently running 225's on my 47" OMP Edge but I'm not using the super long arms on them Should have some more pics tonight, maybe I'll get the tail on if my wife leaves me be for a couple hours that is. If it wasn't for the "honey do list" a guy could maybe get something done
Old 04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Mikerjf

I've got the Hard Bet and the SE and fly them both all the time. If I were switching wings I'd put the Hard Bets on the SE. The Hard Bets wing does everything better especially slow high alpha.

Mike
Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 PM
diggs_74

Thanks for the info Mike... If it doesn't do what I want it to, I'll build up the HB wing and throw that on.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Kevins_RC

That is an interesting comment - Mikerjf. I am kinda surprised to hear that. The SE has a blunter leading edge (if I remember correctly), which should give it better slow flight characteristics. It does this with more drag or resistance on the leading edge. You may want to try the same manuvers with the SE at a slightly higher rate of speed. You may be hitting its stall in these manuvers because of the added resistance on the leading edge.
Just a thought
Kevin
Old 04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Mikerjf

Kevin;
Actually just the opposite. SE's got a much smaller leading edge radius. Wing thickness is about the same but the thickest point is further back on the SE.

Mike
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Kevins_RC

That would explain it - then! <LOL>
I knew there had to be a good reason
Kevin