Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

Old 09-26-2002, 03:38 PM
sswagerty
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

I am wanting to build a fun and big profile. Has anyone built this kit or seen one?
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2002, 03:47 PM
VinceL

Default I've seen it

I saw a couple of these fly at Dayton a couple of weeks ago during the Labor day meet. They were absolutely awsome flying airplanes. I was VERY impressed, darn near ordered one myself. I finally decided that I would order the smaller version. I can fly that one at home easily and the investment factor will allow me push the envelope a little further. If a big fun fly is what you want I think you would be pleased with this ones performance.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:52 PM
aftcg
My Feedback: (1)

Vince, what motors did you see in them?
Old 09-26-2002, 03:59 PM
VinceL

Default Motors

First off I'm a gas engine guy so I had to ask a friend what they were. I recall him saying that they were using the new big OS 2stroke, seems like he said they were 1.60s. I did spot for one of the guys flying and it had AMPLE power to pull out of a hover even when it was running poorly.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:29 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I was flying one of the OMP big profile edges. It had an OS 160 on it and that is a good engine. Gas is possible on this plane, it is a good flier, very 3D capable and I got one for myself. Jeff WIlliams
Old 09-26-2002, 08:54 PM
aftcg

Man I'd sure would like to see one of these fly. I'm on the vurge of placing my order.

Does anyone know where this some video of it flying?

Also, each time I try to go to OMP's site, my internet connection crashes. Anyone else having a problem?
Old 09-27-2002, 01:23 AM
tsmart

i fly the omp small edge, and I love it, but my friend also has the big omp edge. Now, I have been flying my edge for about a year; but I gotta say I saw that big edge do the meanest knife spin ever. Imagine a fast waterfall. Now turn it sideways. That thing came down like an auto rotation chopper. The fuse was spinning around the wing way faster than I can get with my small edge. I was amazed. No bad habits, completely predictable. If you didnt have to fill it up with a bunch of $40 servos I would buy one tomorrow ! (squeak!)
Old 09-27-2002, 01:23 AM
tknobby

Default Browser Crashing

Yeah aftcg, Netscape hates the Java applets that are on the site. I've tried both netscape browsers running Linux and XP. Both crashed. I did get a look at the site when I tried Internet Explorer.

Tom...
Old 09-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Mike Bell

Default Re: Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

Originally posted by sswagerty
I am wanting to build a fun and big profile. Has anyone built this kit or seen one?
The plane in the picture is mine now. Mike built another and sold me his. Awesome plane!
Mine was having engine trouble all weekend (needed some tweaking and is great now) and also lost the 2 rudder servos so there was not much air time on it at Dayton.
Jeff, were you flying Darrin's? What a great setup job he has done!

Mike
Old 09-28-2002, 01:04 PM
sswagerty

Default Big fun profile

I ordered the Ohio Models Edge Giant Profile. I will update this thread when it arrives and how long it took to get it.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:04 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default Engine combos

Gas engines are an option with this big bird. The first prototype was flown with the RCS 180 gas engine which by the way has been a flawless performer for me. This combo is 17 oz heavier than the OS 160 but still has enough power to hover and pull out. Other gas combos around the 40-44 cc size would be balistic.

Mike
Old 10-01-2002, 11:38 PM
RSands

I've flown one on a limited basis, there's absolutly no bad habits. An OS 1.6 pulled it out of a hover, but not real fast. Can't say how it compares to the other flat fuse planes of this size, but if you've never flown a big plane and like fun flys & 3D, it's reasonable to get in to and will blow your socks off.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:27 PM
jpmorgan
My Feedback: (12)

Default building one now!

The kit is a good one to build.
The instructions are clear, but may require some rereading by the builder. The building techniques are straight up and to the point with lots of tips for each stage.
The guys at OMP have a good product and I suspect we'll see lots of these planes at a field near you!

I'll be using a Moki 2.10 with a standard muffler ( on back order ) from Horizon Hobbies.
The tail surfaces will have Futaba 9303, and JR 4131's.
I think I'll use Futaba 9202's on the ailerons with large DuBro arms.

The pictures given in black and white need to be improved but they do help.
The first wing half goes good but the second half that you'll build goes twice as fast. My advice is to leave the wing on your building board for at least 18 hours before you pick it up and turn it over. CA glue sets fast but cures out much slower and you may induce warps.
I like the 2 piece wing that joins to the center section, VIA aluminum tube and 1/4-20 bolts. even if you drive a car the fuse will fit. It's only 71" long. Fold down the passenger seat, stick the nose in the floorboard and head on out to the Field!

Jigs are given for the wings and center section.
I think OMP needs to put another 4" piece of shear webbing balsa in the kit. I ran short! Sure you can use some of the left over 3" but I'd rather get it all in one shot.
I added shear webbing to the center section that goes all the way across the ribs, top and bottom. The plans show the webbing going to the inboard ribs only. That's OK, I just like to beef up certain area's of a kit. That's the glory of building a kit!

Got questions? Ask me, I'll tell ya what I can.
Perry
Old 10-02-2002, 04:43 PM
3dpilot

Default profile edge

I was flying at dayton and Darrin was nice enough to let me fly his. I ve had the small one for a year as well. But when I flew Darens giant profile. There is such a difference in the two planes. The bigger one is 100 times more stable. Daren said go ahead and hoover and touch the tail. Usually I wouldn't do that with someone elses plane but when I pulled up and it was like a rock. Drop the throttle a couple clicks and it came down smooth as could be. That did it. I ordered one that day. Still waiting for it to come though.

Darrin, if you read this post. thanks for letting me fly your plane. Let Ohio models know they owe you for the sale. My buddy also bought one.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:15 PM
JWilliams

Mike Bell, I did not fly Darrens pink edge that day. I flew Mike Pilkentons, the designer, it was only my second time flying it. I do like the plane, I bought one and will have it ready for next flying season. I will install my awaiting OS160 with header and mousse pipe, a good combo. The airplane is what people are saying, very stable in hover/harrier and capable of good 3D. Jeff Williams
Old 10-22-2002, 10:28 AM
Mike Bell

Originally posted by aftcg
Man I'd sure would like to see one of these fly. I'm on the vurge of placing my order.

Does anyone know where this some video of it flying?

Also, each time I try to go to OMP's site, my internet connection crashes. Anyone else having a problem?
There is a video on http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/gs540p.html It like IE better than Netscape.

Jeff, I agree. NICE flying plane

Mike
Old 10-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

anyone seen one with a saito 180? i ahve a sait 180 at home wiht nuthin to put it on and i was thinking about this plane. i want it to ahve the power to hover and tr and pull out.
thx
chris
Old 10-24-2002, 05:33 AM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

Default Saito 180?

Would the Saito 180 be a decent match? I've got a handful of hitec 605s and a 645MG (probably for rudder) in need of use...

This ok?

Also... if you can even guestimate.. how many hours did it take to build? 100? 70? Less?

-Juhan
Old 10-24-2002, 09:52 AM
jpmorgan

Default Re: Saito 180?

Originally posted by jsonin
Would the Saito 180 be a decent match? I've got a handful of hitec 605s and a 645MG (probably for rudder) in need of use...

This ok?

Also... if you can even guestimate.. how many hours did it take to build? 100? 70? Less?

-Juhan
Several people here that have seen mine fly say that a Saito 180 will fly it. I can't say for sure because I've never owned a Saito 180. Surley if an OS 160 will fly one a 180 4 stroke will as well.
It would be a guess on the hours that it took to complete the Giant Edge 540 so my guess is around 80 hours. I would have to say that the wing halves took less time than the fuse, but now that I've built one I could stick up the fuse even quicker.
After completing one wing half the second half almost went twice as fast.
I still haven't weighed mine............ my guess is 12 pounds. I have a 4" Aluminum spinner along with the heavy prop bolt it takes to mount one to the Moki. I used a BCM (Muffler) so that added a little to the nose as well. The tail servos are all high tourque and a little on the heavy side. I didn't have much of a choice on the servos but I'll tell you that the rudder has 200 ounce inches of pull using 2 Futaba 9303's and the elevators have 100 ounce inches each half using a pair of JR 4131's.
The CG is almost dead on to the plans. Maybe just a touch aft.
Perry
Old 10-24-2002, 06:55 PM
aftcg

Hey JP, which servos are you using in the ailerons and throttle?
Old 10-24-2002, 07:39 PM
jpmorgan

Default Servo's used

Originally posted by aftcg
Hey JP, which servos are you using in the ailerons and throttle?
I have Futaba 9201's in the ailerons. around 50 ounce inches, I think.
A Futaba 148 on throttle. standard precision, 4-40 push rods all the way around.
Perry
Old 10-24-2002, 07:41 PM
jpmorgan

Default Re: Ohio Model Edge 540 Giant Profile

So have you made that purchase yet?
The kits come with a instructional CD now.
Perry
Old 10-24-2002, 10:21 PM
sswagerty

Default Ohio Models Profile

At the last minute I changed my mind and ordered the Aeroworks Extra Profile. I saw one at the IMMA fly in in Lawrence Kansas and was very impressed. I have not received it yet.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:37 PM
jpmorgan

Default Re: Ohio Models Profile

At the last minute I changed my mind and ordered the Aeroworks Extra Profile. I saw one at the IMMA fly in in Lawrence Kansas and was very impressed. I have not received it yet.
Congrats on your purchase, and I hope you have fun building the Extra. I really do like to build! Almost as much fun as flying them.
The flight of an ARF just doesn't compare to one that was hand built!

After I saw one ( Aeroworks Extra ) up close I didn't like the way the wing halves came together.
The plane looked like it flew well though.

The design and flying habbits is why I chose the OMP Giant Edge 540 P.
best regards,
Perry
Old 10-27-2002, 01:41 PM
sswagerty

Default Aeroworks profile

I try to keep everyone informed of the build with some pictures....of the Aerowork Extra Profile

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.