Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Spacey's Boxxer build

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Spacey's Boxxer build

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spacey's Boxxer build

matchless,
thanks for input, those pic's were helpful. i'll have pic's of it soon.
tmproff, with this type of aircraft, you can't have TOO much power, is the .82 just that ridiculous? i think that would be cool! or is the .72 just right? anything i should know about the .72 or .82? i'm not very familiar w/ the saitos, reliability, smooth running, ect - pros/ cons. appreciate any feed back.
jon b
Old 07-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Spacey

Jon the Saitos are wonderfull motors in my opinion. Very reliable and awesome power to weight ratios. Between a saito and a YS you can not go wrong. The .82 would be an interesting thing to try and I don't want to complicate matters for you but I personally would have gone with the .72. Only thing I found on bipes is that too much torque makes them get funky sometimes when you punch out too quickly. More experienced pilots can deal with this though but I don't have the quick responsed or stick skills to pull it off. Other advantage of the .72 is definitely weight savings. I know it's not alot but something to bare in mind. That is all. It's is going to be a coin toss between the pros and cons of the two different motors.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
steveg_oz

Hi all,

Is everyone mounting their throttle servo on those round dowels? How has it worked out?

I'm finished covering, and into final assembly. I'll post some photo's when its all assembled. I'm afraid that the colour scheme turned out a little 'fairy floss' for my tastes - too much green and red transparent colours. Oh well, next time.

Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Bolio

I used dowels to mount the aileron servo in a quickie 500 and hold pretty well at 100 mph[8D]
So using in a throttle servo should work, beside the designer do it that way and he must know why.
Just my opinion.
Saludos.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Spacey

Hahaha! Yea the dowels should work just fine. Just be carefull when drilling them so they don't split open. Also when you put the servo screws in check em again. You don't want your throttle servo trying to pass through the prop or anything.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:42 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

I just cut a square hole in my fuse and mounted a micro servo right behind the motor.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:49 PM
UltimateFlyer120

I was searching for tail weight so the servo rails were not what I wanted to add to the nose. It might not look really clean but it does the job very well. I drilled 4 holes around the throttle servo and wire tied the servo in. I've had several months with out any problems with the throttle. I have the Saito 72 on my Boxxer and great power but the Saito 82 which weighs almost the same would be more fun if such a thing could be possible. You guys are missing out on all the fun this Boxxer is GET-ER-DONE!

Victor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31594.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	293914  
Old 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
tmproff

I totally A B U S E D my Boxxer this weekend. I was practicing doing blenders down to like 10 ft and then breaking out into a hover. The people at the field were having to clean dirt off the bottoms of their jaws..... I am still amazed that this plane doesn't snap into a million pieces.... I angled my landing gear about an inch forward and all of my tipping problems are fixed!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:19 PM
jb86

haven't seen any posts here in a few days. anything new?
i decided to go w/ a ys 63 (received it friday, i think i got the only one available till late july) planning on 13x5, that ends the debate over engines! i've got the frame done, mounted all hardware to ease after covering.
i'll be using a lipo 2 cell 730 w/regulator (@ 2 oz, radical rc 720 5 cell 3.3 oz).
can somemone answer a couple questions:
1 paint for tetherite gear.
2 tailwheel - dubro .40 size?
3 any round overs on the ailerons, tail feathers? all the pic's i found don't look like there are any round overs, i would generally round over the aileron TE, vert & horz LE, elev & rudder TE.
4 a pic in spacey's review on the ultimate shows throttle servo mounted in a servo well cutout. i'm using an hs 81 (smaller hole than standard).

soon as i get an answer, i'll be covering.
thanks for any input.
jon b
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Spacey

Sorry buddy. My life has been utter chaos lately so the workshop's light stays off most of the time. I haven't gotten around to anything else on the Boxxer. I don't want to make any promises anymore which I am not sure if I'll be able to keep. I need to still sand and finish off my airframe and then I can start covering it. I can't afford to get hardware for it now so that will have to wait untill next month or so. Then I have another Boxxer to quickly frame up for a friend as soon as I get a chance so I will very possibly carry on with that when mine is covered.

Regarding your questions.
1) Any paint would do that is fuel proof. I don't know what you have in the states which will work. I usually just use Tamiya's spray cans for small jobs like this.
2) Your choice really.
3) I wouldn't round the trailing edges of any of the surfaces. You could maybe just touch the sharp corners to help them not show damage and bumps quickly. But leave them square to help avoid flutter.
4) You can cut out a little hole for the throttle servo if you have the right tools for the job. I am just going to use the supplied dowels for rails and the instructions on this one.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:00 AM
jb86

matchless,
i'm almost done covering, inspired by my funtana 90 (yellow top/ultracote lite weight trasnparent blue bottom, i like the transparent on the aircraft i've seen, but i also like big contrasts top & bottom), going w/ ys 63. one question i posted recently was; throttle servo, i'm using an hs 81, can i cut a hole in the motor mount to mount it? the servo is small, wouldn't be a large hole. i laid it out inline w/ the throttle pushrod. in respect to the 3/8" ply; it would be about 1/4" from the rear edge and 1/4"-1/2" from bottom edge. what do you think, or should i just stay w/ the dowels? is the hs 81 reliable enough for this use?
i'll have some pic's in two days. can anyone tell me how to put a picture on a post?
jon b
Old 07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

jb,
You will love the YS63 on the boxxer, that is what I am running on mine. the 13x5 should do well. I have ran a 13x6 and now a 13x4w. I think I like the 13x4w a little better. Hovering is at a little less then half throttle. Enjoy it!!

Z
ORIGINAL: jb86

haven't seen any posts here in a few days. anything new?
i decided to go w/ a ys 63 (received it friday, i think i got the only one available till late july) planning on 13x5, that ends the debate over engines! i've got the frame done, mounted all hardware to ease after covering.
i'll be using a lipo 2 cell 730 w/regulator (@ 2 oz, radical rc 720 5 cell 3.3 oz).
can somemone answer a couple questions:
1 paint for tetherite gear.
2 tailwheel - dubro .40 size?
3 any round overs on the ailerons, tail feathers? all the pic's i found don't look like there are any round overs, i would generally round over the aileron TE, vert & horz LE, elev & rudder TE.
4 a pic in spacey's review on the ultimate shows throttle servo mounted in a servo well cutout. i'm using an hs 81 (smaller hole than standard).

soon as i get an answer, i'll be covering.
thanks for any input.
jon b
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JB, I think the dowel mounting is easier, but as long as you put the hole in the doubler and the mount where it will not compromise it structurally, it should be fine.... (I would sink it through one of the existing holes in the main mount piece..)

As for an HS81, I have mixed feelings.... I've used them for quite some time on throttles, but this year on my Boxxer and another .40 size profile, I've had 4 of them die on me.....Needless to say, I don't run them on throttle anymore. The Futaba S3101 is a drop in fit, and has given me much better service over the years... Yeah, it costs $8 more, but whats that compared to watching your bird flutter apart as you try to keep it slow while the throttle servo is locked at full throttle......[X(]
Old 07-13-2005, 01:03 PM
jb86

zman,
i ordered the 13x5 from tower, a club member told me that w/13x6 on the ys 63 he's getting 10,500 rpm. 14x4 would be about the same. he thinks that 13x5 would be too light a pitch, probably close to 11,000 rpm (even more for a 13x4). i've been told in the past that ys don't mind higher rev's (i always try for about less than 10,000 on a four stroke). would you mind telling me, what are you running for rpm? and any concern about that? i know that the engine on this aircraft won't be running full throttle much, probably more in the mid range.
thanks for your input, after all i've heard of the ys, i had to get it (and they're hard to get right now).
jon b
Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
jb86

matchless,
i laid out the mounting hole, does not hit the 3/8", goes right thru a hole in it. it's eay to cut out on my drill press, clean and will save .1 oz or so. i'll order a s3101, other than that i would probably go hs 85 or hs 225. at this point i certainly don't care about saving that $8! i can finish covering everything tonight.
thanks again for input.
can anyone tell me how to post pictures here? i'll be ready to post them tomorrow.
jon b
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Zman39

Hey JB,
Per Dave at Ys performance, the 63 likes to rev. Need to prop it for 12000. Both the 13x6 and 13x4W give me anywhere between 11500 and 12000. Remember the "w" in the 13x4 means wide so that is why it isnt revving any higher then the skinnier 13x6. If your flying buddy is only getting 10500 with a 13x6, he is either running real rich or needs to reset his valves. A too loose valve clearance will kill RPM. The valves will more then likely need to be reset after 1/2 gallon of fuel. After that, probably wont have to touch them again.

Z
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Spacey

jb86 you have to click on the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the thread. Do not use the quick reply window which already is there when you enter the thread. When you get into the post reply screen you will see a "Click here to upload" link just below the text window. You can upload the pictures with that.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 PM
jb86

matchless,
please just answer me this. is the micro servo a good choice for the throttle? it seems lke a good place to save weight. the concern i have is the servo is so close to the vibration of the motor, may make the servo degrade faster (which is why they didn't last on your aircraft, but work great in my sailplane). a micro or mini may not hold up as well as a standard. i also have an hs 225 mini (1.1 oz).
so my question is for safety should i use an hs 425, or would a hs 225 mini be just as good, or is the futaba S3101 acceptable or just as safe to use as standard servo for throttle (understanding that it is mounted 4" behind the four stroke engine). i have looked up futaba and jr, don't find alot available in this size.
i'll spend $25-$35 here for peace of mind, what would be the best choice here. i understand that you probably have more hours on your aircraft than i will, so i'm leaning on your experience here.
i have everything covered, assemble over the weekend and post pic's.
thanks,
jon b
Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Zman39

Just to get you a little more excited about getting the boxxer in the air, here is a pic of my boxxer flying in afpd.

Name:	Nl28290.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	297314  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
matchlessaero

JB, I think thats a good question. My answer is that I've run S3101's on my .40 size profiles for quite a while with nary a prob. I did have problems from HS81's, but I stopped using them. Frankly I've never used 225's, but I've heard such bad things about them that I would not suggest them. The bigger Hitec you mentioned would do the job, but I would pick the Futaba S3101 hands down over the Hitec (I use and run both of those servos in several birds, so I'm not a Hitec basher. I'm just calling it like I see it).

Lets see some pics!

ZMan, thats awesome!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM
jb86

matchless,
i ordered the s3101 servo, that ends that. i have one problem, i can't find the instruction disk (i had printed all the pages before i started to work from). i didn't glue the tube into the motor mount (wanted to wait till after covering). i can't find the page w/ the step for gluing the tube into the motor mount. i beleive it said to roughen the surface of the tube w/ sandpaper (then clean w/ alcohol), mix 30 min. epoxy w/ micro ballons and insert, would you please confirm this? (I just want to be sure). tell me this, would milled fiberglass be a better filler (it's stronger)? (i have no idea, just thought i'd ask)
just finished covering motor mount, have it assembled over the weekend, then i'll post pic's
thanks,
jon b
Old 07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
matchlessaero

You got it right JB. Use the milled fiberglass if you want, but a finer grain filler would probably be better.. (personally, I use grocery store cornstarch....)
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Spacey

Not to fear folks! The one lady is getting dressed! I haven't even started putting the other one together though but yes that will have to happen very soon.

Name:	Jh15403.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	299412  
Old 07-20-2005, 08:28 AM
jb86

spacey,
one small detail, when i epoxied the interplane strut mounts in, a bunch of epoxy oozed out of the mount pocket (puddled on the bottom covering). the lightening holes are in all the ribs, including the ribs at the mounting pockets. i figure that if some 1/32" balsa were glued to the outside (before covering) of the holes at that area (only half the hole is open), it would be avoided.
mine is assembled, just have to mount the engine. my computer pop up blocker won't let me "upload", can i email the pic's to you, or maybe matchless? and you upload? if so, send me an email for reply; [email protected]
one other thing, i found extremely helpful in assembling, i have woodscrew clamps i used to clamp to the fuse while gluing the fuse assembly, holds straight & square, then the wing to fuse and tail feathers (to hold the fuse in position and square). then i used them to clamp to the motor mount area to hold the aircraft verticle on it's nose to do all the assembly. i add pic's of that.
jon b
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Spacey

Thanks for the tips Jon! I will sure have to keep an eye on the epoxy thing when glueing in my tabs. The clear covering is not going to hide epoxy

Sent you an email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.