Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

PBF Virus Spreading in Kentucky.......

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

PBF Virus Spreading in Kentucky.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:42 AM
RC Thumbs
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBF Virus Spreading in Kentucky.......

I just completed and test flew my PBF (Pizza Box Flyer) today. What a kick!!! The most fun I've had in a long time. If you don't have one of these, you're missing out!
By the third flight I was touching the tail on the ground and running it down the runway with the tail just inches off the ground. The PBF Virus is spreading like crazy.
A special thanks to Dave Mcdonald for providing an excellent web site on the PBF. I built mine exactly like he instructed and it just flew outstanding. Also, a special thanks to Tim H (Magnetik) for being the first one to spread the PBF Virus at our field in Kentucky. After today, there will be many more infected pilots by the weekend!!!

Watch out for the PBF Virus!!!! The fun is contagious!!!!

Scott "Nobody" Allison
AMA L911
IMAA LM911
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29713_10867.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	18867  
Old 10-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Hisham

please post the web site of the PBF.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Tattoo

Here ya go!
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/pizzabox.htm

BTW...if you think you're havin fun now...wait until you get a few guys to combat you're pizza boxes

http://rcamericaonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=483
Old 10-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Looks like fun

great stuff ! might have to build me one. Just curious: how do you hinge the elevons and rudder ?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:55 PM
RC Thumbs

That's the beauty of these things. You don't hinge them! All you do is cut out one side of a flute. The remaining side of the flute is now the hinge. I've enclosed a picture.
You can build these things in an hour!!!!

Name:	29796_10867.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	18868  
Old 10-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Texas 3D

Originally posted by Nobody
That's the beauty of these things. You don't hinge them! All you do is cut out one side of a flute. The remaining side of the flute is now the hinge. I've enclosed a picture.
You can build these things in an hour!!!!
hmmm...I think I build me one. I have a couple of questions : What engine did you use ? Where did you bought the material (Home Depot, Lowes, Internet) ? How do you launch yours (holding it yourself) ? Did you use the pine, or the aluminum center stab version ?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2002, 05:07 PM
RC Thumbs

Here's a picture of one of my mods to the PBF. (The "Allison Handle"????) LOL
It's a plastic drawer handle you can get from Home Depot or any hardware store. They come in short or long and in Black or White. They only weigh 4/10 of an ounce with screws. Because it's mounted over the CG area, I can use it to balance the PBF laterally and longitudinally with a string. Best of all, it's a great way to hold it for starting and to launch!

Nobody

Name:	29798_10867.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	18869  
Old 10-10-2002, 05:16 PM
RC Thumbs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas 3D
[B]

What engine did you use ? Where did you bought the material (Home Depot, Lowes, Internet) ? How do you launch yours (holding it yourself) ? Did you use the pine, or the aluminum center stab version ?

I used an OS FP40. It's what I had laying around. It hovers at a little more than 1/4 throttle with the recommended Kavan (Hobby Lobby) prop. I followed Dave McD's site to the letter and it flies outstanding. The material is Coroplast. You can buy it at any local sign/graphic lettering shop or from Harbor Sales. I built the pine spine version.

Name:	29799_10867.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	18870  
Old 10-10-2002, 05:30 PM
RC Thumbs

Originally posted by Texas 3D

hmmm...I think I build me one. I have a couple of questions : What engine did you use ? Where did you bought the material (Home Depot, Lowes, Internet) ? How do you launch yours (holding it yourself) ? Did you use the pine, or the aluminum center stab version ?
Thanks
Here's a picture of the pine spine. I also used two long plastic handles for skids on the bottom. It doesn't make it fly any better, but didn't add much weight and gives it something to skid in on. I utilized the two rear engine screws to mount the front of the handles and two screws in the back. I had to drill the two rear engine mounting holes out to use the handle screws.

Nobody
AMA L911
IMAA LM911

Name:	29801_10867.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	18871  
Old 10-10-2002, 05:55 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Hey Ulf... I'll have one of these at the ProBro flyin..... You can check it out..... If you bring some servo's and a 25 size engine and rx.... I'll bring a piece of coro and a engine mount... We can build it at the field.....

Thanks
Old 10-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Texas 3D

Thanks Paul, but I would kinda build it next week and take it with me to the fly in, so we can fly it there. Maybe even maiden that thing there.
I do not have a .25 size engine, and was wondering if a TT 40 Pro or a OS 46 LA would be to much for it ? These engines are pretty cheap, and should do the job just fine. What do you think ?
Old 10-10-2002, 06:27 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I've heard of guys using them... I think it would be too much... I've got a 25la on mine with a dual needle carb... Maybe if you have a really light bushing 40 it would work.....
Old 10-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Texas 3D

well, a 40 LA should be about the same as a the OS FP40 that Nobody is using on his.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:36 PM
RC Thumbs

Thanks Paul, but I would kinda build it next week and take it with me to the fly in, so we can fly it there. Maybe even maiden that thing there.
I do not have a .25 size engine, and was wondering if a TT 40 Pro or a OS 46 LA would be to much for it ? These engines are pretty cheap, and should do the job just fine. What do you think ?
The OS LA 46 is a good choice. That's what Tim H (Magnetik) has on his. The TT40 Pro would have much more power, but is a little heavy. IMHO, keeping the total weight down under 2 3/4lbs will keep the wing loading down. The lighter ones seem to fly the best. With an OS 40FP (or LA 40/46), standard gear, standard receiver and a 250/270mah battery, it will come out at around 2lbs, 8 ounces. I have a micro servo on the throttle, a micro receiver and a very light exhaust. Mine weighs 2lbs, 4.6 ounces. Dave McD is running his latest version with the bushing TT42GP which is a very light engine and more power than the FP or LA. I do like the throttle response of the FP. Very Linear. Just my two cents........
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Nobody!
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your PBF! I'm also glad to see that you found the RCU PBF thread, and then posted your photos so everyone else could see your neat handle idea.

If you like the OS 40FP, then you will like the the TT 42GP even more. Same great throttle response, same light weight, even the same mounting pattern, but the TT 42GP has more power, and costs less than $50.

Texas 3D,
The TT Pro 40 is a great engine! But it's way too heavy for a PBF. If limited to choosing between the TT Pro 40 and the OS 46LA in a PBF, then use the 46LA.

If not limited to the 46LA, the TT 42GP is a much better running engine, that's lighter, more powerful, and cheaper. I've got three TT 42GP engines and I love'em! (I've also got an OS 46LA......but I'd rather not talk about that engine right now)

A local flying buddy is going through a "more power is better" phase right now. He hasn't yet discovered the "lighter is better" theory, so he put an MDS 40 w/MCP in one of his 24x24 PBFs, and an Irvine 53 in his other 24x24 PBF. Weighing nearly 3 pounds, they fly......but a 2.5 lb. PBF powered by a much lighter and cheaper TT 42GP can fly circles around them....especially a TT 42GP with a mousse can pipe. And a 2 pound PBF powered by a Norvel 25 flys even better!

The point is that the lighter your PBF ends up......the better it will fly. Keep your PBF under 2.5 pounds, and prepare to be amazed at just how well a simple flat piece of coroplast can fly!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:46 AM
RC Thumbs

Hi Dave,

Funny you should mention the TT42GP. Now that the PBF Virus is spreading out of control at our field, we have two more being built that will be flying by the weekend. One of these is being built by one of our top flyers in the club. (He flew mine yesterday and I couldn't get the transmitter back!!!) He is using the TT42GP. After talking with him, I have decided to get one and try it.
My FP40 runs pretty dog gone good. It's just a little fat at below 1/4 throttle, but extremely linear above that. If the TT42GP has more power but still as linear as my FP, it will be a winner!

And to all reading these threads and considering a PBF:

Listen to Dave..............LIGHTER IS BETTER! If you build it like he says, you won't believe how well it flies!

Scott "Nobody" Allison
AMA L911
IMAA LM911

Name:	29858_10867.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	18872  
Old 10-11-2002, 01:52 AM
Dave McDonald

Originally posted by Nobody
My FP40 runs pretty dog gone good. <snip> If the TT42GP has more power but still as linear as my FP, it will be a winner!
I used to run OS 40FP engines exclusively in my planes that needed near 100% reliability combined with precise and accurate throttling. As soon as the OS 46LA came out, I bought one thinking it would have the same great running qualities as the 40FP, but with even more power. Big mistake.

Then I discovered the TT 42GP. Same lightweight as the 40FP, same mounting pattern, same great throttling characteristics, produced more power.......and it costs considerably less than the 46LA. The TT 42GP was everything that the 46LA should have been.

I still own six 40FP engines, and have no intention of parting with them. But after several years of flying the TT 42GP in planes like my Stickit, Diamond Dust, Fazer, and others......I think I like the TT 42GP even more than the 40FP.

If you like your PBF with a 40FP.....then you will like your PBF even more with a TT 42GP.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Texas 3D

ok, located a TT 42GP at a local hobby shop for $59.99. Does that sound ok, or is mail order cheaper ?
Old 10-11-2002, 02:53 PM
tailspnr
My Feedback: (1)

ok, located a TT 42GP at a local hobby shop for $59.99. Does that sound ok, or is mail order cheaper ?
Tower has it listed for $49.99. As a matter of fact Scott "Nobody", I meant to call you last night and tell you that I went ahead and ordered us both a TT 42 from Tower. I didnt want to wait around on Brian at the LHS.

Tex 3D......bargain with your LHS a little and that will still be a good deal. By the time you pay for shipping through Tower its about $56.00 for regular shipping.

Scott A.......I'm having a hard time calling you "Nobody". I finished up all of the PBF last night. All I have to do is mount the motor and servos. I picked up a 270mah battery last night and its on charge. My buddy is bringing a loaner TT42 to use for about a week until mine comes in. Oh and thanks for the compliment above. I noticed that you didnt mention who did the first tailtouch with your PBF......Dohhhhh

Scott...Nobody, Thanks again for gathering all of the stuff needed to build the PBF's. And I love your setup, Im building mine as close to yours as possible. With the exception of the full size receiver and throttle servo......oh and the JR logos, Im diggin up old Futaba stickers for mine. I just hope I still have the weight at 2lbs 8 oz and I'll be happy.

Maybe I'll be test flying mine this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll call you when I do.

Scott "Somebody" Kimball
Louisville Ky
Old 10-11-2002, 04:23 PM
RC Thumbs

Hey Scott,

Thanks for ordering the TT42GP for me. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
There was a reason I didn't mention that you touched the tail to the ground before I did!!! (Big mouth!)

What do you think of a guy that does that? It was the second flight on the plane. It wasn't even trimmed out yet, and I was nice enough to let him try the PBF. Then he goes and touches the tail to the ground before I got too!

That's just wrong...........very wrong.

Next time I let him fly my plane I'm going to jack the trims in the corners first! (Never make a guy look bad with his own airplane!)

Nobody
Old 10-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Texas 3D

cooool...my LHS says he will match towers price of $49.99. I will pick it up tonight, or tomorrow after flying.

Nobody, what did you use to hold your servos, battery and receiver in place ? Just Velcro, or did you use also tie-wraps ? Where did you buy the pine (or what wood did you use) ?

Men, I think I am getting infected by this virus already Can't hardly wait to build mine. Already ordered the coroplast from harbor sales and kavan props from Hobby Lobby.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:02 PM
RC Thumbs

Men, I think I am getting infected by this virus already Can't hardly wait to build mine. Already ordered the coroplast from harbor sales and kavan props from Hobby Lobby.
Texas 3D,

If you think you're getting infected now, what until your first flight!!! And there's no cure!
I attached the servos, battery and receiver with double face tape that the R/C car guys use. I know what your thinking, and I used to feel the same way about Double Face tape until recently. A buddy of mine races R/C cars. At one of his races, he asked me to help by taking off his speed control. I couldn't pull it off!! They use a special tape, and put it on a special way. Go to you LHS and get it from the R/C car section. It's very thin (about 1/16) and has a white backing. It's 3/4 inches wide.
Here's the trick to putting it on. With a small flame, glaze one side just enough to cause it to bubble. If you do it too much, the tape will shrink or curl. Just enough to change the texture from shinny to tiny little bubbles. Then stick it down to the servo or whatever you are mounting. Then peel off the backing and do the same thing with a small flame on that side. Then stick it down and hold it with some pressure. It becomes permanent. The Car guys tell me that when you glaze it, it won't lift from fuel exposure. (I couldn't beleive how hard it was to remove) The zip ties would give you extra security and work just as well.
As for the spine, I have a buddy that has a planer and we planed a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 down to 3/4 x 3/8. Scott Kimball (TailSpnr) found some 3/4 by 1/2 pine trim at Home Depot. It doesn't really matter what you use. Just try and keep it light.
The engine mounts are maple that I ordered from Sig. They come 3/4 x 3/8 x 12. Cut one in half and you have your engine mount.

I love this airplane (can I call it that???). When you bring it to the field, everyone rolls their eyes and they start the ribbing. Then they see it fly and they all want to fly it! Next thing you know, it's: "Where did you get that?" and "How did you do that?" and "Where can I get..........

Nobody
Old 10-11-2002, 05:48 PM
RC Thumbs

Here's a picture of the servo cluster. I would like to point out that the two elevon servos were stuck to the rudder servo with double face tape. I put tape on the bottom of each servo and stuck them to the side of the rudder servo. Then the entire "cluster" was mounted with double face tape to the PBF.

Zip ties would work just as well. We'll have to see with time how the tape holds up.

Nobody

Name:	29943_10867.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	18873  
Old 10-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Tattoo

I love this airplane (can I call it that???). When you bring it to the field, everyone rolls their eyes and they start the ribbing
I will have to say that I for one am one of the most open mindedest modelers out there...but seeing pics on the web didn't interest me in the pizza boxes at all. I'm into combat and was concentrating more in that area...that is...until...I went on vacation to Maine... and saw one fly!!! Piloted by CoroKid...it blew my socks off. Now there is no cure and I'm hopeless. Oh yeah...as for combat...the Pizza boxes make the most fun combat planes I've ever fought

I'm in the middle of a move and all my stuff is packed away so I won't get back to building until early next month...but when I do my first project is going to be more experimenting with the airfoiled wings mentioned earlier in theis thread namely the "Pizzafoil" or "High speed pizza box". My goal is to have higher speed performance to blow all the sport planes at the field away...then transition into the stuff everyone knows and loves at show center...gosh darn...anyone loose sleep designing these things?
Old 10-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Dave McDonald

"Steve Nobody" is correct. I use 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick double stick foam tape from Wal-Mart to hold the servos down. Just clean the coroplast and the servo case with rubbing alcohol first, then stick the servos into place. The only reason I use zip ties is to make sure the servo stays stuck to the foam tape.....especially in hot weather. Using zip ties without the double stick foam tape could allow the servos to shift position slightly, resulting in constant trim changes......which could keep a PBF from being competitive in F3A pattern.

I'd highly recommend mounting the receiver with sticky backed velcro strips using a single strip of the hook material on the wing, and a single strip of the loop material on the bottom of the receiver case. The idea here is for the receiver to stay put.....but also be able to wiggle freely enough to isolate it from the engine vibration. With 270 ma and smaller batteries, velcro mounting also works great! And if you don't think velcro is strong enough to hold a receiver or battery, wait until you try removing them.

Mount the fuel tank with velcro the same way as the receiver and battery. Or install some hooks on either side of the fuel tank, place some foam rubber under the tank, and use a single #64 rubber band to hold it all in place. Mounting the tank with velcro or a rubber band will keep the fuel from foaming. Don't use zip ties, glue, or lots of rubber bands to fasten the fuel tank or it will cause the fuel to foam......which will result in erratic engine runs.

After writing this, I just realized that although these important servo/receiver/battery mounting details are described several times in the PBF threads......I forgot to include them on my PBF web page. I apologize for the oversight!!! I'll add them to my PBF web page ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.