Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Stamp/PBF/FlatPlane first timer...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Stamp/PBF/FlatPlane first timer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp/PBF/FlatPlane first timer...

HOLY CRAP!

They outta put warning labels on these things.
I hadn't a clue what to expect, so obviously I went for the max elevon throws mechanically possible.
All I can say is, that I'm glad it rained for a couple days, and the field was soggy.
I stuffed this little "plane" in every way imagineable... so many times that my wife
finally asked me if I thought I could keep it in the air long enough for her to take a picture

Being new to this game, I was afraid to try and count "rolls per second", but it was high.
I finally swallowed my pride and turned the throws down to about 75%, and it got better.
Still... I think I'll wait for a calmer day before trying again. (We had 8-10, with gusts to 14)
Every time it seemed like I had a handle on it, the wind would try to blow it over
on itself, or start this funky rocking motion(may/may not have been 50% pilot-induced)

I managed two successful "landings" out of about 12 launches... the rest were outright crashes.
I think another outing, on a calmer day, will go a long way toward me getting more proficient.

Well... that, and me settling down with it a bit... instead of trying every trick all at once
I definitely see the fun factor, though... it was a blast, if a bit prop-hungry at first.
Best of all, I didn't CARE if I stuffed it, which was probably as much fun as anything.
Total damage for the day:
3 props
1 elevon clevis
A tiny bit of ego

Thanks for the Stamp, James!
(And to all you flat-plane-freaks here on RCU for getting me hooked on the idea)
Old 10-17-2002, 07:39 AM
RC Thumbs
My Feedback: (2)

C_Watkins,

Glad you have been infected by the PBF Virus. The more you fly it, the more you will like it.
Make sure you have plenty of expo dialed in. The amount of throw won't kill you as much as the lack of expo. Go to Dave's site and dial your radio in just like he says to start. Then experiment from there. (If you have a Futaba)
I fly JR, which is a little different then Futaba, but basically the same set up is used. ATV set to 150%, adjust mechanically to achieve 2" throw. High rate 100% with 60% exponential. Low rate 60% with 40% exponential. Trust Dave on these settings, they are correct and I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt!
Best of luck and lots of fun.

Nobody
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30997_10867.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	19675  
Old 10-17-2002, 07:52 AM
C_Watkins

Doh... I just went and got the transmitter out of the car.
I can't believe I was trying, with that much throw, and NO expo.
I normally check the expo, before a maiden flight, and make sure it's reasonable. (I don't use rates)
I simply forgot all about it, in my rush to get it out to the field yesterday.
Yeah, I'm sure it will be even more fun, next time out.
Thanks for the setup tips!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:58 AM
RC Thumbs
My Feedback: (2)

If you can fly a PBF with NO expo, you're more of a man than I am!! You'll *REALLY* like flying it now!

Nobody
Old 10-17-2002, 08:03 AM
C_Watkins

Well, like I said earlier... 12 launches, and only two reasonably controlled earth contacts

I don't know if you could rightly call it flying, though I did keep it within the confines of the field.
It was more like "darting around like a hummingbird on crack", than actually "flying".
Old 10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by C_Watkins
...."darting around like a hummingbird on crack.....
Now THAT's funny.........<cough splutter> Please don't write things like this for when I'm eating lunch and surfing...... It makes my monitor all gooey......
Old 10-18-2002, 02:10 AM
James Goss

Remember Chris when the plane leaves the ground reduce the throttle to slow her down. If it is still hard to manage simply point the nose up at about a 20 or 30-degree angle and give it a little more power, it will become very stable. For landing the Stamp you can bring it in like any plane, but right before it touches down turn her nose up and bring up the power. This will stop all forward movement of the plane and it will touch down pretty as you please. Later you can do vertical landings from any height. Flying the Stamp too fast is the number one reason new Stamp flyers have problems. I will confess that it does take a little time to get use to the nose high flying style, but when you get the hang of it you are in for a real treat.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:49 PM
Balsageek

According to Dave McD's site, pine is used for the spline and oak for the motor mount. Where are you guys coming up with small enough lumber to put on the plane? I'm thinking I may have to carve down some 1 x's to get the proper wood.

Thnx,
Matt
Old 10-19-2002, 12:15 AM
C_Watkins

There are two different designs going on, really.
Mine is one of James Goss's creations, and he uses a slightly different angle.
http://nav.to/jgosscacc (click on the "postage stamp" link)
I think they all fly about the same, judging from videos, and reading here.
I'm new to the type, and apparently 8-10, gusting 14, wasn't ideal for me
Well... that, and I've got a .40 on mine, didn't know to go slower,
and had my throws very much in the "wild" range, with no expo.

As for the spine on the wooden spine ones, I think people have been planing down.

Here's a pic that may be the plane I have... or its identical twin:
(Stolen blatantly from James' site... will remove if he objects )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31252_10416.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	19676  
Old 10-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Steven Sloan

I have used pine for both or sycamore I cut and planed my own. You can buy small bass wood at most hobby shops and it would be just fine. I think I speak for Dave and myself we are into cheap whatever is lying around and feels light weight enough!