Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Bad Boy V2 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Boy V2 Build!

Here it is! The long awaited build thread of the Precision Aerobatics Bad Boy V2 ARF! I welcome anyone to join in and post pics of thier build processes and steps. I will be snapping a few in myself. This kit looks AWESOME!!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad Boy V2 Build!

Primodus, you are right. What an "AWESOME" kit. I just can't stop looking at it. I don't have the funds right now to get another flight pack so one of my two planes I'm currently flying is going to have to give it up. I won't get a chance to start on the assemble until next week due to a lot of *Honey do's* but I can't wait to dive right on in. I have a new Saito .82 that is going on the business end with an APC 14X4W prop. I liked the wheel pants that were on the red BAD BOY in the latest video, wonder what pants those were? I'd like to have a set.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87810.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	306358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12438.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	306359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84120.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	306360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13164.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	306361  
Old 08-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Zippi

Old 08-06-2005, 01:09 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Primodus, you are right. What an "AWESOME" kit. I just can't stop looking at it. I don't have the funds right now to get another flight pack so one of my two planes I'm currently flying is going to have to give it up. I won't get a chance to start on the assemble until next week due to a lot of *Honey do's* but I can't wait to dive right on in. I have a new Saito .82 that is going on the business end with an APC 14X4W prop. I liked the wheel pants that were on the red BAD BOY in the latest video, wonder what pants those were? I'd like to have a set.

Pants were from a Hobico Extra 330. The funtana pants will work too. I think PA is working on a CF Set for the BB too
Old 08-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Primodus

I took a shot of my kit contents as well. SMOOTH![8D] I took a look at the manual for a sneak peek at the build process, should be a snap.

Name:	Yw68198.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	306507  
Old 08-06-2005, 09:43 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Hmmm I like this colour better!

Name:	Vt56206.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	306524  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Zippi

dhooks, you almost got it together dude. I really don't have time to work on mine now but I did trail fit the wings on the CF tube to the fuse and I have the "GAP" the instructions talk about. Anyone else have this?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:20 PM
novabill

dhooks, you almost got it together dude. I really don't have time to work on mine now but I did trail fit the wings on the CF tube to the fuse and I have the "GAP" the instructions talk about. Anyone else have this?
How big is the gap and where is it???
Old 08-06-2005, 10:23 PM
dhooks

Yea you ll probably have a little gap if its nots bad Id just bolt it together.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:27 PM
novabill

If it's small, you just block sand the root rib. You don't have to worry about taking off too much material. There are also shims to use to prevent twisting the root rib.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: novabill

How big is the gap and where is it???
The pins in the rear fit fine, the gap is at the front tabs. I pulled the CF tube out and refit the wings and they fit flush to the fuse. I thought the CF tube may be to long. Not really sure, I'll have to wait til I get a chance to really work on it.

Name:	Ge95181.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	306709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm39007.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	306710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74366.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	306711  
Old 08-07-2005, 08:47 AM
novabill

Zippi,

Check to make sure the wing tube bottoms out in both wings. Then put both wings on and insert the bolts. Then, tighten them down slightly and see what the gap looks like. This usually works for me. It is ok to have a slight gap and with the bolts in and cinched down lightly, most of the gap should go away.

Let me know how it works.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: novabill

Zippi,

Check to make sure the wing tube bottoms out in both wings. Then put both wings on and insert the bolts. Then, tighten them down slightly and see what the gap looks like. This usually works for me. It is ok to have a slight gap and with the bolts in and cinched down lightly, most of the gap should go away.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks William, your probably right. Like I said I haven't had a chance to work on it yet and it will probably be fine. I really like the landing gear , it's different from all the others.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:57 PM
kanone

i have the gap also, and its something i just emailed pa about.
i cant push both wings flat against the fuse.
after sanding, best i can get is a 5mm gap on left wing at the top. and thats with some decent pressure.
no way the nylon bolts will hold that position without cracking the tabs off.
waiting for pa to respond and figure out a solution.

also, the horizontal stab slot is way to big. the stab slides in with a 1.5mm gap. i made up a balsa wedge but yeah, not what i expected from a laser cut model. the vertical stab is fine, tight and straight.

otherwise, the parts look great and im generally very impressed with the plane. id say its the perfect arf if it didnt have these problems.
i just hope i can get these things resolved.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:35 PM
dhooks

Just curious is that the V1 or the V2 version?

My wing has a slight gap but it perfectly acceptable IMO I would be concerned about a 5 mil gap though.

Both the stabs on mine fit close to perfect!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:50 PM
65 Chevy
My Feedback: (1)

I had to pass both servo wires through the fuse at the same time because there is not enough room for the end connector to pass by the extension junction within the fuse. I would suggest installing the servos with the control links on reversed with respect to each other (one mounted with the servo arm forward and one with the servo arm to the back) to off set the extension connections and the end of the extensions.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:00 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

I agree . I had to feed both rear servo wires thru simultaneously with one connector ahead of the other because the passage is too tight . I have to lengthen the throttle servo cut out because its just too tight for the servo to fit due to the rubber strain relief coming out from the bottom of the servo case.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Zippi

I found a little time this afternoon and decided to install the tail servos. Both of the strings that are installed for the ease of installing the wire from the servo would not move. It was like the sheeting was glued over top of the strings. No problem, I just cut all the loose ends off and ran some fishing line with a weight on one end down the fuse. I still haven't got back to the gap between the tab and the fuse. Let me know how your gap problem come out kanone.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:13 PM
kanone

i also had the glued string problem. getting those leads down the passage was a bugger, but if you offset them like people said here, it works ok. still fiddly though. had to carve some extra balsa out of the tail where the servos mount and enter the fuse passage.
in order to get the extension lead female plug to fit in, i also filed the extension plug down as much as i could to help insert it.
i found doing both leads at once easier, than one at a time like the manual says. once the first lead is in there, forget about threading another line through to guide the second lead - its just too narrow.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Primodus

WoW! You guys are smokin' along. I had a few minutes to try the tail sevo setup this afternoon as well. Threading the servos wires through is difficult at best, and the strings were stuck on the fuse also. I think the channel could be a bit larger, but with a little finesse, and some ingenuity, it can be done. Once I get them settled, I will bolt up my wing to check the gap issue.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
dhooks

Any one flew theres yet? If I wasnt so lazy I shoulda had mine done by now.[]
Old 08-07-2005, 10:08 PM
NovaXact

I have just assembled my bad boy and fitted a new OS 70FL Four stroke. Had it built in three days and flown. The stab doesn't fit to well in the slot, the wings had a 1/4" gap at the TLE, Not all surfaces had hinge slots, I could not believe the weight of the fuselage alone. The model completed with only servos weighs 3 1/2 lbs. Total weight with the four stroke,battery and Rx added is 4 3/4 lbs. The strings in the fuse were glued in as well. I fitted the tail servos ( Hitec 635 hb's) one out each side and found that with the supplied pushrods there was two much slop in the threads on the metal clevis for my liking and I also dictched those nice looking control horns and fitted a standard dubro part, just looks stronger IMO. C of G came out spot on 142mm but needs to go back further to hover reliably. The model flies great and does excellent flat spins however knife edge flight with top rudder the bottom wing tucks under in both directions and requires huge amounts of mixing. In all not a bad model but would have to be one of the more overated kits I have assembled.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Hi Guys

I see you got the planes and no shipping damage, that's good.

About the wheel pants we finished the molds of them and they will be available in carbon fiber and fiberglass.

we will offer them very soon.

Shaun

Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 08-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Hi Zippy

About the gap: due to the nature of the profile fuselage (which has only "one wall" )it is more difficult to make them all flash with 0 gap.

Anyway about the gap there are few things to know which are very important and I mentioned it on the instruction manual.

First, gap between the mounting tabs and fuselage. Don't mount the bolts with a gap; you will break the wing root! If not on the ground it will break in the air. It is very simple, if you have a gap simply use the balsa laser shims that we added to the hardware and do it per the instruction. This is very easy and very effective. Do it only with the tab that has the gap.

Now about the wing gap if you have one just enlarge the wing dowel hole (in the fuselage) so it will not force the wing to any direction. Do it in steps and test fit otherwise it might be over size. You can also sand a bit the CF wing dowel (rotation pin) but then really watch out that you don’t sand it too much or weaken it.

Then if you still have a gap sand gently the wing tube hole in the fuselage to allow more clearance of the wing tube so again it will not force it to any side.

Again here do it step by step to perfect fit of both wings.

If still having probs you can PM me or William (Carolina 3D) and I will help

Cheers

Shaun

Old 08-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Precision Aerobatics

By the way I forgot to mention

As first thing check if the CF wing tube fits all the way in, and if not check if it is too long (maybe few mm).

If that's the case just sand or grind the tube end carefully (not to crack the CF) to make it shorter.

That is the first step before you do anything else.

Shaun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.