Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Props

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Props

Originally posted by Gordo-plast
I just read this whole thread. Being many months later, let me ask: How are the Bodak props working, and are they still available? Thanks
Yes they are still available, though I won't use them anymore. I was performing some comparison tests using a Brodak Y&O 12x4. I had only run this prop a couple of flights. I was using a Du-bro prop nut. I was holding one of the prop blades in my left hand, and using an awl to break loose the prop nut when the blade broke off in my hand You will notice where the prop blade & hub meet, these props are very - very thin, and with the inconsistency of wood, you never know their strength. I quit using them because of safety for my plane & me!
Kevin
Old 05-30-2003, 02:38 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Props

Thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 08:26 AM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Props...

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Now for my question: All this talk about props, especially the now unobtainable rev-ups, has anyone tried any of the control line props from the "olden" days? I fly SAM and have quite a few original Y&O (Yates and Orwick) props. These are lightweight wood props with wide blades, and thin sections. Some of the best control line props going. Brodack has the rights to produce these now I beleive and they are available again. I know many of you dont fly control line but if you ask at a better hobby shop they may have a Brodack catalogue. I should try one out on my fun fly -just never thought of it. I use APC mainly but the lighter weight wood props sure accelerate faster.

AJC
I was picking up some wood at Lone Star Balsa in Lancaster, Texas yesterday and ran across the Brodak props that you mentioned. The wider blade and lightness of the prop really grabbed my attention so I bought one. It is a wooden 13x4 and I originally bought it with mounting in on my Saito .72 in mind......the more I think about it it may also be a good candidate for my OS 50SX or OS .46FX.

Like you - AJC - I too am wondering if this may be something that most of us in 3D may be overlooking. Even though it is a CL prop, by all appearances, it seems to have the qualities that we generally look for in a 3D prop. And according to the Brodak information on this particular prop is is recommended for the above mentioned engines (at least on the 2 strokes).

Does anyone out there have any experience or comments on this prop in a 3D application....????? I have included a photo below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81584.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	176698  
Old 09-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Been there - tried them - BE CAREFUL! I've had a Brodak blade break-off in my hand when I was removing the prop nut! Scared me to be point that I quit using them. Perfromance was all right (nothing to brag about). I seem to do better with a Zinger Pro series.
Good Luck!
Kevin
Old 09-26-2004, 05:01 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,
Long time since we talked props...

I just had a regular Zinger 13-6 break off, brand new, in my hand while untightening the prop nut after running it once! All it takes is one not so good piece of wood...

I have sent some wood props back to the hobby shop for a refund or exchange, when the grain was really short (across the chord of the blade) or one side was much different in density and it was so out of balance it couldnt be fixed.

Wood that sometimes shouldnt be made into props gets by I guess... ?

AJC
Old 09-30-2004, 11:54 PM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the treads to here and I haven't herd of any one using the APC 13X4 on there 50 size engines It is my favorite 3-D prop for my Irvine 53 and my OS 50 FSR with can muffler using 10% powermaster mix. Spools up great hovers no problem turning around 12-13K with a Dubro spinner prop nut.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
AnthonyH
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Prop Mach.

You guys on here seem to know a bunch about props so maybe you can help me out. What is the best way to balance an APC prop? I just got a 15x4W and it about shook the plane apart. I tried balancing it by putting putty in the back of the hub but it did not help much. It is still not balancing. Should I just start sanding the heavy end off and try to keep the same shape, or maybe dip the light end in polyurethane a few times?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
msm9724

Hi, have someone used the apc 11x5 apc in a 46fx?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Spacey

I have used a 11X5 APC alot before I was able to get hold of 12.25X3.75 and 12X4 props. The 11X5 works but I would not use it again. The motor will perform really well with the prop but it does not quite give you the same kind of thrust.

Anthony: Either method could work. I've seen alot of my friends use paint to balance the props. But the paint scrapes off really easily so it's not always ideal. I always sand mine on the back of the blade (Not the trailing edge). You can also sand the trailing edge if you have to. Or what I do when the prop is really far out is cut tiny bits off the heavy tip. But I mean TINY bits to get it close and then sand again to do final adjustment.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 AM
msm9724

I had always used the 12.25.3.75, but i want to try the 11x4 master airscrew have some one used it? I am flyng a magic.....
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Stay with the 12.25x3.75 APC on the Magic.....it'll perform better for you. The 11x4 is okay but not quite as good for the type of flying that the Magic is capable of......if you are using a 40 - 50 size engine.

In general, going to the smaller diameter size prop you are (in effect) reducing the amount of prop wash over the control surfaces. If you are intending to fly fun fly or even 3D style maneuvers the 12.25x3.75 APC is going to give you better performance. I use this same prop on a variety of engines - OS .46FX, OS 50SX, Magnum XLS 52A & a Saito .72. I have used the 11x4 APC on my OS .25FX with great results but this is a smaller engine. I'm currently running a 11x4 APC on my OS .32SX and it works great as well. I plan to try the 12.25x3.75 on it soon just to see the results but the engine is still breaking in.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:38 PM
msm9724

Cool thanks for the info!!! I tried the 11x4 on the magic and it was horrible[:-] I will stay with te 12.25.3.75 works great!!!