Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP GS540 or Aeroworks Extra 300 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP GS540 or Aeroworks Extra 300 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP GS540 or Aeroworks Extra 300 ?

Both look about the same size (Aeroworks indicates a little lighter), and I would build mine for a OS 1.60, but let's hear your opinion ? Which one flies better, builds better (easier, quicker), performs 3D flying better, etc.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:00 PM
funfly33

do a search on the aeroworks I went OMP putting it togather now.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:10 AM
elvis-RCU

hey man i got the aeroworks 80" flyies great got the os 160 on it weighs 10 pounds you saw it fly at memphis if you need anything let me know
KEITH WILSON
Old 11-01-2002, 01:50 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Because I saw both in Memphis, that's exactly why I am asking. I am curious which one builds easier with no major surprises. I am not a pro builder so straight forward building is very much appreciated.
I also liked yours with the 1.60 on it, and that's the engine I would love to go. So another question I guess would be : Does the OMP will take the 1.60 as well as the Aeroworks does ?
Old 11-02-2002, 05:11 AM
elvis-RCU

don't know about the omp ... i heared it will weigh 12 pounds...
the aeroworks is a little hard to build but i think it was worth it
KEITH
Old 11-02-2002, 10:27 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

Default omp

the omp is a liitle hard to build , you just need to re read some of the stuff to get it clear. the instructions are actually a liitle to straight foward. but once you get used to them there real good. the fuse is real simple to build , the first wing will take a little time buut the secound you can breeze threw.
iam finishing my omp up now
Chad
Old 11-03-2002, 05:36 AM
jeide
My Feedback: (111)

Default OMP Edge

Hi. I've built the Aeroworks profile Extra and am now finishing the Ohio Edge. The Aeroworks Extra can be built a little lighter but harder to build. I really enjoyed building the OMP Edge, it is the 3rd kit from them I have built and the quality is outstanding. I'm going to use the Moki 210 and I'm hoping for 11LBS. Airtronics digital servos for elevator and ailerons, rudder will be the 200oz. servo.
Jim
Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default OMP Edge

Hey guys, the OMP GS540P is a little heavier I'll admit but it was designed to last and be beat for a long time. A local Futaba Team pilot is flying the heck out of this thing and likes to do flat spins down to the ground and then pull out at the last minute into a parachute and hover. Well, one time I was watching and he parachuted the ground! Smacked really hard flat but kept the nose up and went on flying. Damage assessment lateer on revealed nothing but an elevator clevis that popped off. Still flew tha plane fine. Bottomline is this plane is very durable.

Mike
Old 11-05-2002, 01:37 AM
flyboone
My Feedback: (3)

Just curious as to what is harder about building the AW Extra than the OMP edge? I consider my self to be an average builder. I can follow directions real well. Is the AW really harder as in the skills needed or in that it is just more time consuming. I have all winter long, so if I can have a lighter plane that takes longer to build, it's worth it. But if I'll have problems building it right I'll take a heavier plane that is built right any day. Thanks

Jason
Old 11-05-2002, 02:12 AM
jpmorgan
My Feedback: (12)

Default OMP Giant Edge 540/ Moki 2.10 or 1.80

Using a Moki 2.10 or a 1.80 on this plane has to be the perfect combo. I have the 2.10. It's SWEET!
The plane flies like it's a feather. In a head wind it doesn't want to land at all.
Don't worry about the weight! My plane doesn't know if it's been built with too much glue or heavy wheels! It will make no difference if the Giant Edge 540 weighs 11 pounds or 14 pounds.
You figure you are swinging a 22", or 21" prop. You got allot of prop working for the plane even at low idle.
I've been swinging a Zinger 22x6 for break in time. I'm going to replace it soon with a Mejzlik 21x8. This should pull it out a bit faster from a hover. I like the way the plane reacts with the 22x6, but feel the need for just a bit more of thrust. Some say that the Mejzlik 20x10 is ideal for the Moki 2.10. However this is for pattern planes. I have one of those coming so I'll have to give it a try as well.
I would much rather build a plane that will hold up to a little abuse rather than worry about how light it may or may not be.
"Great Planes" Manufactured air planes have always been a little heavier than others but, they hold up to the test of time. I've always appreciated this in a GP kit.
By the way, I could drop some weight if I wanted to. I'm running a 2000 mAh nicad battery pack. It ain't light!
I also have a 4" aluminum spinner. I am going to take that off soon. I can use the extra prop for cooling in a hover.
Sorry for being long winded. OMP has a good product in the Giant Edge 540.
I'm considering the Giant Su-Do-Khoi for my winter project. With a Moki 2.10 of course!
Perry