Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Copperhead Aviation Extra Stiffy - Build and Review

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Copperhead Aviation Extra Stiffy - Build and Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:35 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Extra Stiffy - Build and Review

Anyone got a weight on thiers? The advertised 19oz. seems heavy for a 36" span foamy. Of course the proof is in the flying.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:18 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Plane with landing gear 16.6 (no batt)
Plane with no landing gear 15.9 (no batt)

Plane with landing gear and 1320 mah batt =19.8
Plane with landing gear and 2100 mah batt = 21.7

Plane with no landing gear and 1320 mah batt =19.1
Plane with no landing gear and 2100 mah batt = 21

Built as lite as it can be built with the gear listed in a above post.

Roy
Old 12-18-2005, 07:30 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
Anyone got a weight on thiers? The advertised 19oz. seems heavy for a 36" span foamy. Of course the proof is in the flying.
These are not flat foamies! I don't know when everyone is going to understand this, I've seen so many posts about the weight. This plane is designed to fly IMAC and Freestyle, not just slow 3D stuff. However it will do both just fine.

I mean even Jason Shulman is selling them on his site and endorses the crap out of it.

The plane flies great both indoors and out and in 15-20 MPH winds.

Don't worry about the weight on this one, just go by how it flies and believe me it flies great.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:20 AM
76.ta

I was just giving BasinBum the info he wanted. I think the plane will fly great.
Don't have a cow man
Old 12-18-2005, 08:31 AM
STLPilot

Ha ... early morning Sunday and all I guess. But this isn't the only post like this. Just got to inform the people with proper info as these are not apples to apples.

This is from Copperhead's website, pretty much sums up the facts.

From time to time we comments like: Your Stiffys are nice but they are a bit heavy. For some time I wanted to research what the average wing loading is across all classes of aircraft. Ok, here it is; a summary of 30 models:

1) Flat wing fomies (Depron)………………………………. 5 to 6 oz/ sq. ft.
2) Copperhead Stiffys……………………………………⠀¦â€¦ 8.6 oz/ sq. ft.
3) Balsa electrics (36†span)………………………………. 10 to 12 oz/ sq. ft.
4) 40 to 90 size fuel models……………………………….. 16 to 22 oz/ sq. ft.
5) 30% and above giant scale (imac)…………………. 30 oz/ sq. ft.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:24 AM
BasinBum

Dion,
Mine was the first post regarding weight in this thread. I even threw in the coment that, "the proof is in the flying" so as not to make it a slam. That Jason S. is selling them I suppose is an endorsement, he does have integrity, are you going to be selling them as well?

The list of weights is semi-meaningless, the larger planes having higher wing loading doesn't mean anything. That it flies better than it's Balsa counterpart is completely believable based on wing loading and my personal experiance with a Mini-Funtana. That it 3D's as well as a flat foamy with significantley lighter wing loading is something that I won't believe untill I fly one myself however, that it flies more realistically compared to the larger stuff makes complete sense to me.

I don't think I'm slaming the plane. company or you, it seems like a fine product. I just think that the hoopla with every new thing in our hobby is always a bit much. I just want to have realistic expectations before I spend my money based on someone elses honeymoon period.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 AM
STLPilot

are you going to be selling them as well?
been practically begging him for product but seems like his production is moving too quickly to get us some stock.

like i said, the planes don't fly like your typical flat foamy, they freestyle. foamy planes can't dream of flying the way these do in many moves.

if your looking for something like a shocky, then this plane is not for you. it's more advanced but has no bad habits.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:11 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Just maidened got done with a 12:15 am maiden on mine, flys better then any foamy Ive flown, flys like a real plane. Felt very similar to my 40 sized profile stuff, very sweet.

Only flew it in the backyard under the light so Ill know more about it later.

Just through it on the scale an with the huge 2220 tanic pack that was on it was only 21 oz an flew very light.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:48 PM
novabill

ORIGINAL: dhooks

Just maidened got done with a 12:15 am maiden on mine, flys better then any foamy Ive flown, flys like a real plane. Felt very similar to my 40 sized glow stuff very sweet.

Only flew it in the backyard under the light so Ill know more about it later.

Just through it on the scale an with the huge 2220 tanic pack that was on it was only 21 oz an flew very light.

I have to say I was extremely impressed that someone would do a hand launched maiden under a pole light in a small back yard! Awsome flying an a great plane!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 PM
BasinBum

Yes, It sounds like he really got a chance to really wring it out?????? That if flies better than a foamy and more like a .40 size is confusing to me. I have yet to fly a really good .40 except for maybe a profile and none of them fly as well as a foamy for 3D. Now if you tell me it flies like an Extreme Flight Yak I'd be tempted.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 PM
CopperheadAV

BasinBum,

We designed this plane to fly after IMAC the contests were over when everyone breaks a foamy out. We found there was nothing out there that somewhat flew like the big birds. I have seen many a hot foamy pilot, when they get introduced to a 40%, struggle like hell to 3D or Freestyle. Throttle is not as linear, thrust to weight is different, and plane is more violent in the air throwing the timing off. We felt that this plane filled the transitional gap for the foamy pilots as well as the IMAC guys who didn’t want to load up the trailer, but just wanted to practice in the backyard and fly something that flew like a big plane. If the only thing you want to fly is a slow, wispy little depron plane, the Extra is not you. There are many fine Depron Foamies out there and I probably own most of them. For me, each seems to bring its own unique flying characteristics to the table and I fly them all, our plane is no different.

Tim Folk
Copperhead Aviation
www.copperheadaviation.com
Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 PM
dhooks

I meant to say 40 sized profiles. I had a chance to fly it again today an was very impressed.

If ya know me you know I cant stand foamys, they fly nothing like a real plane an IMO dont fly that well. Yea they float around but thats about it. Dont get me wrong Ive had my share of fun with foamys. Plus they tear up so easy.

The extra stiffy flys like a real plane. It has no bad habits that I can see and I can actually feel what the plane is doing not the fluffy discusting feel a foamy has.

Plane is killer in KE and has very minimal coupling. Hovers an TRs very well. Didnt waterfall very well but it could be a cg issue, I have no clue where its at.

I stripped an elevater servo or the pot went bad or who knows what exactly but I kept flying it anyway. After a cpl flights of tempting fate it bit me an I really pile drove it into the ground. Let me say that it is a very very strong plane. The nose was hardly creased an barely cracked. Im sure it would have really destoyed about any other kind of plane.

The skin thing is really tough an really strong.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:48 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

ORIGINAL: dhooks

I meant to say 40 sized profiles. I had a chance to fly it again today an was very impressed.

If ya know me you know I cant stand foamys, they fly nothing like a real plane an IMO dont fly that well. Yea they float around but thats about it. Dont get me wrong Ive had my share of fun with foamys. Plus they tear up so easy.

The extra stiffy flys like a real plane. It has no bad habits that I can see and I can actually feel what the plane is doing not the fluffy discusting feel a foamy has.

Plane is killer in KE and has very minimal coupling. Hovers an TRs very well. Didnt waterfall very well but it could be a cg issue, I have no clue where its at.

I stripped an elevater servo or the pot went bad or who knows what exactly but I kept flying it anyway. After a cpl flights of tempting fate it bit me an I really pile drove it into the ground. Let me say that it is a very very strong plane. The nose was hardly creased an barely cracked. Im sure it would have really destoyed about any other kind of plane.

The skin thing is really tough an really strong.
Amen to that DAN!!!

Mine flies awesome too. Can't get enough of it. I was flying it like a 3D ship. Really slow and mostly harrier stuff. But after getting some speed and flying it the way it's suppose to fly, I can't say enough good things about it. She tracks very well, snaps on a dime.

Mine won't waterfall either. I need to try my CG farther aft. and see what happens.

They are very tuff. I love it. I suppose since my Extra is so tuff, I'll never be able to swap the equipment over to the Yak. Guess I better buy more hardware for the Yak. hahaha
Old 12-24-2005, 09:05 AM
BasinBum

Tim,
That's a reasonable expectation you spelled out about the plane. Some of the raves are just over the top. It does seem to fit a nitch of something between flat and built up that didn't exist before.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:53 AM
CopperheadAV

Right,

This is my fault though, explaining how the planes fly’s has been difficult to articulate because there is nothing quite like it. I didn’t want to do a me too and just add more carbon than everyone else to make it stiffer. Some of my Depron planes have such a low wing loading (because of their light weight) I have to add flaperon to get them to do what I want. I would argue that the pursuit of lighter and lighter designs has a limit and you begin to loose capabilities. I'm sure I'll get hate mail for saying that!! So I went with the EPP Skinned design (kinda like my Cardin’s!) and the result was a flying experience no to much unlike a giant scale plane.

Merry Christmas All!!

Tim

Copperhead Aviation
[email protected]
www.copperheadaviation.com
Old 01-08-2006, 07:50 PM
dhooks

Would someone tell William to give me back my prop adapter so I can fly my stiffy?[:'(]
Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 PM
76.ta

William give dhooks back his prop adapter so he can fly his stiffy
[>:]Right Now ,Please
Old 01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: 76.ta

William give dhooks back his prop adapter so he can fly his stiffy
[>:]Right Now ,Please

Told me today he would order me one....whaaaaaaa? Mine is on his foamy[:'(]

Speaking of which he has my battery too.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
dhooks

Any one get any decent video yet?

Ive been running a 12x3.8 prop on mine an it TR's like a mother! You cant stop it with the ailerons its so fast! I think I need to go to a 11x4.7 to get a little more speed to do precision stuff with though.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Which one??

Yak or Extra is best for 3D???
Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
CopperheadAV

My prefrence is the Yak for 3D, the Extra for pattern. The wing on the Yak has a different cut on the tip.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM
dhooks

Well great, I get my collet yesterday so I go to fly the stiffy again today. Guess what about 5 minutes into flying it my Himax starts making a weird noise then comes apart! Pulled away from the back of the case/mount. Im stiffyless again![:@]
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

HHAHAHA .. I still have my stiffy's
Old 01-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Here might be a alternative it only weighs 16.5 oz RTF- http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...9415#post39415
Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 AM
CopperheadAV

Iowa,

How are the Eflight servos, do you like them better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.