Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Ex-Treme Edge 540 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Goldberg Ex-Treme Edge 540 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ex-Treme Edge 540 ARF

ORIGINAL: Johnmpa

So you think I should keep the CG Extreme Edge 540? What about the problems with CG placement/balance. I am new to 3D flying and with a little training, hopefully on this plane, I will be doing all those moves to impress my R/C friends. I am good at "preflight" stuff (balancing, building, altering a plane for a good first flight), but I don't like to mess with ARF aircraft too much and just want to install and fly (afterall, this is what they are meant to be build for). Once I start to put this thing together, Tower Hobbies won't let me return it.

Are you sure I should keep it?
I would keep it!!! it's not bad!!! I tottally agree with the las post of heligoode1 he is right!!!

To try to help with the tail heavy situation on this plane try installing the engine as far foreward as you can,, I mean all theway foreward on the mount,,, and if you have a 6vold battry try using it on the TE of the wing like heligoode1 did!!!

and if you have an OS 61 or any 60 sised engine that will solve the tail heavy issue on this plane!!!

I'll be also be building one maybe starting this weekend so you can check out some of my progress OI ussually post lots of pictures of building on my site!!!
good luck!!!

I got more pictures of the build here: [link=http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/wkabb/viewtopic.php?t=183]Goldberg Edge 540 Ex-Treme Building!!![/link]
Old 03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
mgm52

ok guys bought one of these from TH for 89.89 and got the 15.00 gift cert. to boot, now after reading this thread --where are you guys setting the CG? The recommended range is 43/4 to 51/4 . any body flying with it further back ?-- the tail weight seems to be a issue -- anybody installed all 4 servos in the wing and using fiberglass rods( Dave Brown) to the control surfaces ? I am planning on using a tt pro 46 and i don't want to have to stick 6Oz of lead on the nose.. any suggestions -- --no i don't want throw it in the lake!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
charrua

I already started building one and i decided to install a Tower 61 to help get soem nose weight!!! and it also should be plenty of power!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31075.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	422442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33819.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	422443  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 AM
DFWS
My Feedback: (8)

Charrua,

your engine install looks good! "Nice Job"
Don't forget to fuelproof the wood mounts.
What is your balance point at for your CG?
What is the weight of this airframe? & RTF
Is it a brick like everyone says?
The specs for this profile are almost the same
as the Edge 540 profile from Extreme Flight!!
Please post more pics and a flight report when
you can.

Thanks,

DFWS
Old 03-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Funflyaddict

ORIGINAL: DFWS

Charrua,

Is it a brick like everyone says?
The specs for this profile are almost the same
as the Edge 540 profile from Extreme Flight!!

DFWS
It wont be a brick until you fly a 4-4.5 lbs profile with a .46, the wingloading difference will leave you jelous, trust me.

The Extreme Flight edge will come out lighter than the GB Edge, and wont need 61 to give great flight performance. If you have the money, a ExtremeFlight edge will be much better over the GB Edge, and you wont have to use a .61+

Good luck!

Owen
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
whiteknuckleairlines
My Feedback: (3)

the extreme flight edge is nice (c: [link=http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=33]edge review[/link] Charrua has an OMP Katana too. The Edge is the lightest of the 3 at 4.11 lbs. The CG Edge was 2nd place at just over 5 and the OMP Katana was the heaviest of all.

I have to agree with funflyaddict though. lighter ALWAYS flies better. I went with an OS .50 over the .46 though. The weight is very comparible - but the power.. holy monkey! it goes straight up like nothing I have seen!

I have seen all 3 fly. For the cost I could see no reason not to get the CG. It is tough as nails, and from what I have seen it flies very nicely with no really bad habits. If I had room for the plane or gear to put on it I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it
Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Johnmpa

Well, I kept the CG Extreme Edge 540, only after calculating the return shipping cost, minus the $30 off $199, and return of the $15 Gift Cert that came with this place, as it was cheaper to keep it than return all three. I'll say I do feel more confident about installing a O.S. 50 SX after reading the post forum responses ( thanks people!) Only one more question, should I have high torque servos or will Futaba 3003/3004 work ok, any flutter? If so, I'll build it.......if not then I'll have to take a second mortage on the house to buy them, or possible just post/sell the 540 at my local club for say.....$75 or o.b.o.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
charrua

DFWS... thanks!!! I'm not sure abouth the balcance point yet becasue I havent finished it yet!!!!,,,, all the parts to build the plane that came out of the box weight 3lb even wich is a bit heavy I think,,, but this is still not a brick!!!! I figure with the 61 installed in it it might weight arround 5 1/2lb or less which will make it like 1 lb heavier than te Extreme flight Edge,, but there is some price difference also,, still this plane flies great and light at 5lb 5oz and I know becasue i have seen it!!!

I think it's a very nice plane a very well built that why it's heavier than others,, it's very very strong,, other are lighter and yes they fly lighter but if you start doing some crazy flying like I did with my OMP Katana 46 you end up doing some fixing to it becasue of some crack that might result in such a light construction!!!

this plane weight the same as my OMP Katana but the Kataa it's a little bit bigger like 3'' I think,, the Extreme Flight Edge it's the lightes one of the 3 but you can buy 2 Goldberg and make you very light if you wanted to!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
charrua

DFWS... thanks!!! I'm not sure abouth the balcance point yet becasue I havent finished it yet!!!!,,,, all the parts to build the plane that came out of the box weight 3lb even wich is a bit heavy I think,,, but this is still not a brick!!!! I figure with the 61 installed in it it might weight arround 5 1/2lb or less which will make it like 1 lb heavier than te Extreme flight Edge,, but there is some price difference also,, still this plane flies great and light at 5lb 5oz and I know becasue i have seen it!!!

I think it's a very nice plane a very well built that why it's heavier than others,, it's very very strong,, other are lighter and yes they fly lighter but if you start doing some crazy flying like I did with my OMP Katana 46 you end up doing some fixing to it becasue of some crack that might result in such a light construction!!!

this plane weight the same as my OMP Katana but the Kataa it's a little bit bigger like 3'' I think,, the Extreme Flight Edge it's the lightes one of the 3 but you can buy 2 Goldberg and make you very light if you wanted to!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM
whiteknuckleairlines
My Feedback: (3)

I used standard servos in my Edge.. And I friend used them in his CG as well.. I would like to use something meatier like an hs 425 just for the speed of the travel.. but I am not scared at all having the standards in it. I had standard servos in a ucd 40 too and I beat the crap out of that plane and never had any problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
ed_cler

I maidened mine over the weekend. I ended up with the ST 51 in the nose. I installed it all the way forward and the cg was right on. With the APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop I was able to hover it at 1/2 throttle. That plane will coast along at just idle and is a real floater when landing. I haven't owned/flew a profile like this one before, but I would recommend this one to anyone getting into 3d. I think I might buy one more while the price is still $90.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
ed_cler

I used Futaba 3010 servos on the control surfaces. On high rates they don't seem to stall. The roll rate was so fast i couldn't count them.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
ed_cler

ORIGINAL: mgm52

ok guys bought one of these from TH for 89.89 and got the 15.00 gift cert. to boot, now after reading this thread --where are you guys setting the CG? The recommended range is 43/4 to 51/4 . any body flying with it further back ?-- the tail weight seems to be a issue -- anybody installed all 4 servos in the wing and using fiberglass rods( Dave Brown) to the control surfaces ? I am planning on using a tt pro 46 and i don't want to have to stick 6Oz of lead on the nose.. any suggestions -- --no i don't want throw it in the lake!
My CG is at 5 1/4 with Futaba 3010's in the tail. I have a Suoer Tigre 51 in the nose (all the way forward) and no additional weight.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
mgm52

ed_cler--
thanks for the info. i will be using JR DS 537's and a Thunder tiger Pro 46 with the stock muffler. I will plan on mounting the engine as far forward as possible and if i use a standard servo for the throttle i may get by with out adding weight to the nose , the 51/4 back --does if fly light-sensitive (tail heavy) or could it stand some more . The manual ( not much) page 18 states that "the cg range should be between 43/4" and 51/4" for the first flight. For 3D it can be moved back after you are comfortable with the plane. Have Fun!" Just what does that mean? will it be controllable at 6" or a lawn dart! thanks again all info appreciated
Old 03-11-2006, 02:47 PM
ed_cler

- mgm52 -

I moved the battery back, and got the CG to about 5.75". It wasn't a lawn dart yet, but it felt pretty tail heavy. It was hard to keep it level without porposing up and down. I'm not used to flying that way, but at least it was controllable. I'll probably put the CG back to where it was until I get a little more familiar with the airplane. I would encourage you to look into stronger servos. I had JR DS 537's in the tail of a ucd3d46, and it wasn't hard to stall them out. I stripped the gears in the rudder servo while doing a flat spin. I was able to save the plane, but I did buy bigger servos.

On another note, I am really satisfied with the ST51. This is my first experience with super tigre. It was a little tricky to get the low speed needle set, but after I did that, it has been running like a champ. It pulls like a mule, and the transition from idle is great!
Old 03-18-2006, 03:35 PM
snowmaker
My Feedback: (2)

I absolutely disagree regarding the weight issue. I bought one of these and assembled the airframe. I then weigh it and it came out to three pounds even. I mounted an OS 46fx and standard servos/500mah pack. To balance the plane properly, I had to move the battery under the tank. All up weight. Five and 1/4 pounds! This thing will be a freaking rocket.

It is quite windy here in PA, but when the wind calms a little, I'll follow up with a flight review.

I had the same motor on a Tower Hobbie profile Extra with a 11.25 x 3.75 prop and the speed envelope was riduculously wide. That plane was five and 1/2 pounds with a much smaller wing area. This should float like the dickens.
Rob
Old 03-18-2006, 08:30 PM
ed_cler

This thing is really a real floater. Mine is just under 5.5 lbs with 3010 servos and a ST51 with the stock muffeler. Torque rolls are definetly not a problem.
Good luck with yours when the weather clears.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:54 PM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

My OMP Edge weighed in on a digital scale at 4 pounds. I cannot imagine flying a profile over 5 pounds. You guys flying these heavy planes dont know what you are missing.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:00 PM
AeroDave

As far as servo choice goes, I flew mine with standard servos for awhile and then switched to some tower servos that were 70 oz at .16 sec. the difference in servo speed really made the plane fly better. BTW, I have 2 omp profiles now, and have owned the Goldberg. No, its not as floaty as the OMPs, but its still a great flyer capable of most 3D moves. I think I posted this much earlier in this thread, but the only move I found the weight to be an issue in was the waterfall. Other than that, it was great. Tr's were fantastic. Harriers very nice, once you got the touch nailed down which is true for lots of planes. Super tight knife edge loops always inpressed and the inverted flat spin was absolutely perfect. So enjoy a great flying, well built plane.

What am I flying this weekend? My OMP Edge 540
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
mgm52

Ok guys let's not let this thread die . I know TH has sold 100's if not 1000's of these ARF"S at the price and it's still being offered plus the 15 buck gift cert. The major problem i can glean from this discussion is the CG tail heavy issue . A flier at or club has one and has a OS 70 II on it ,he had to mount the engine at the extreme front of the mount and still had to add lead to the nose at least 2 oz. Now there is no way your gong to put a 32 2 stoke or a 40 4 stroke in the thing and get by with out putting a brick on the nose . I agree that putting the battery under the fuel tank on the side opposite the engine is a good idea and my get by with out adding any extra weight. but Is this design that bad that you have to re engineer the plane to get to a flyable CG. a OS 70 II weighs 23.06 Oz. + 2 Oz of lead that's 25.06 Oz. as far forward as possible. The TT pro 46 weighs 17.01 i would have to add over 8.05 Oz. to the nose __Unacceptable!!! Maybe some of the ARF's are more tail heavy the others -- I still haven't started on mine yet and would like to have a plan before i start ----to deal with the tail heavy issue-- thanks for the replies in advance --mike
Old 03-25-2006, 06:11 PM
AeroDave

Mike,
As I believe i said before, I flew mine with an Os 61fx. No weight was needed to balance and the power was great. The 61 is a heavier motor than the 46 class motors, but that makes it perfect for airplanes like the Goldberg, which in turn has plenty of wing area to support the weight and fly well. I would go for a 61 and just call it good.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
ifly2

I am about finished with mine, and after reading all the threads, I am putting HS-225's in the tail, and wings. 6 volts NIMH Battery, and a Saito 82 on the nose. A quick check with the engine hanging on the nose, and servos
hanging in the cut outs, looks like it will balance close. I hope to have it ready to maiden this weekend.

I figure the 82, will weigh a bit more than the Os 72 in the previous post. Maybe it will turn out about right.

Les
Old 03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
rayder1

I to bought one and put a thunder tiger pro 46 on it.I mounted as far forward on the fus as possible and moved the bat and resevere as far forward as possible and set the CG at 4 1/2. I had to add 4oz to the nose.It weighed in at 5.4lbs. The first flight was pretty good.
2nd one i pushed it hard and it did great.It would hover at 3/4 throttle and pulled out well.knife adge was good very little coupling was needed.all and all for the money it was a fun plane to fly.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
snowmaker

Maidened the 540 today.... my impression is that the plane is not well engineered. I flew it with various CG points. From 6" (could only land it in a hover...DONT TRY IT LOL) to 4 1/2 " The plane flies OK, but it is truly too heavy. I have a tigershark .56 engine (from Kangke) with the battery under the tank (unsightly because the tank sticks out way too much... and a 13x4 prop. Plenty of power, but the hover is only decent with the Cg way back.

I will keep experimenting with it....but today's flying was not promising. But it has happened to me before when I felt a new plane sucked one day and later after some aclimation, I liked it. The Kangke Cap aerobatic is a good example. I thought the plane was way too difficult to fly until I discovered I had a bad servo.

Stay tuned......
Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM
snowmaker

Oh, by the way....a .46 engine really is not enuff power for this model because you have to add weight to the nose to balance it. Further, the wind up with the profile prop (12.75 x 3.25??) is too slow to get you out of a dangerous situation.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.