Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Airfoilz Yak or Copperhead Yak

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Airfoilz Yak or Copperhead Yak

Old 02-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoilz Yak or Copperhead Yak

Been looking at the Airfoilz Yak, this one looks pretty darn sweet. I'm just wondering if anyone owns both the Airfoilz Yak and Copperhead Yak that can give some input. I see that the Airfoilz one weighs a few ounces less and I'm looking for something more indoors use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Scott[8D]
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Airfoilz Yak or Copperhead Yak

For indoors lighter is often better, though a 40 inches is fairly big for indoors though.

For outdoors or in breasy situations the few extra ounces of a stiffy make it track an 3D much better.

Ive never really cared for foamys because the unnatural light floaty feel they have. Kind of like a leaf that gets blown its own direction every once in a while. Not saying there not fun just not something that will translate as well into a larger plane.

With a slightly heavier stronger plane it handles the wind currents much better as well as duplicating the feel of a larger plane.

If I were getting a plane strictly for indoors Id probably go with one of the popular foamys that are in the 8-12 oz range. Take a look at ETOC thats where most planes came in at. I doubt they would have used those if something in the 40 inch range would have worked better.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:41 PM
dhooks

On the second thought why not buy both?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Well I'm hoping to hear from someone that has both, but I know that is going to be hard since they are both so new. With the gym I have access too I can handle the size no problem. For the price I'm just wondering why a smaller plane would cost $20 more, but I guess just that's how it is. I know I would like to use a larger battery on the plane and it looks like the Airfoilz would have a better wing loading.

I wish I had the money to buy both, but for now I just can get one. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks!
Scott[8D]
Old 02-21-2006, 05:32 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Stiffy
(love saying that!)

and it is nice...but not indoors...

I would go for less than 10oz for indoors....

Nikitas Animal, Nikitas Rebal, Shock flyer, etc. etc.

I just thing the 14oz or more planes are too much for inside... Great for outdoors, but they have to be flown a bit more....
Old 02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Mudsurfer1234

Well I appreciate the advice, but I have a large facility to fly in from time to time and I have a couple 5-7 oz foamies. I'm trying to decide on one of these two planes to buy. Of course I will fly it outside too. Heck I fly 5 ounce foamies outside with ease too.

I'm just trying to pick which one of these 2, have enough little foamies
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I wish I could add my 2 cents, but I can't. I do have one of the Airfoilz Yaks on the way though.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 PM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

Well I appreciate the advice, but I have a large facility to fly in from time to time and I have a couple 5-7 oz foamies. I'm trying to decide on one of these two planes to buy. Of course I will fly it outside too. Heck I fly 5 ounce foamies outside with ease too.

I'm just trying to pick which one of these 2, have enough little foamies

Didnt say they couldnt be flown outside just that more weight is better. I guess it all depends one if you want to get blown around like a leaf or get a more solid in the groove feel more akin to a 40%er.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
dhooks

Heres Dions take on the Stiffys!

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
Well thanks to an earlier post talking about the Copperhead Stiffy's I went and had a look. I was first intrigued by the price as I'm sure everyone is when they first hear about a $90 foamy. So looked over the manuals, videos etc. and wanted to investigate deeper into what makes a $90 foamy and I found out plenty. These planes are pretty cool for sure. They are loaded with some ingenious features and in my opinion look like they are worth more then double price of your typical flat foamy.

Anyhow I spent a good amount of time on the phone with Tim from Copperhead and he gave me tons of info on what is involved in creating these planes. Call him, you'll be impressed with the features and his willingness to happily answer more then 300 questions . He also suggested the Extra over the Yak to fit what I wanted to do which is indoor IMAC and Freestyle. Well since I'm a fan of things that are better then the rest I decided to take the plunge and get his complete best setup for the money and power based on Tim's suggestions.

Check out the Extra Stiffy right here.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Mudsurfer1234

I am attracted to the AirfoilZ because it has the lighter wing loading of a small foamy, yet isnt small. I can fly a 40%er by flying my 40%er, or the sim. I'm looking for somthing to fool around with after IMAC's, and something that i can fly easily in my high school gym.

As far as get what you pay for that's true, to a point. But in some cases some companies just want to charge more. What makes the Stiffy worth $20 more?

Just Curious,
Scott[8D]
Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 PM
dhooks

Well sinced Im probably more prejudiced then Dion, Read what he wrote in my quote above.

Edit: I left a word out.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Well if we want to look at it that way I'll be more then happy to do a side by side review!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Mudsurfer1234

It's something new.

Is there anyone who is not from Copperhead that can give me some advice?

NO offense dhooks, just want open opinions.

Thanks,
Scott[8D]
Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
dhooks

Sounds like a great plan! I may have to get an Airfoilz myself.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: Mudsurfer1234

It's something new.

Is there anyone who is not from Copperhead that can give me some advice?

NO offense dhooks, just want open opinions.

Thanks,
Scott[8D]

None taken, thats why I quoted Dion, Figured he might carry more weight then me.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
novabill

Scott,

I haven't flown the Airfoilz either, so I'm not going to say one is better than the other. I will answer your question about the Stiffy though and I think it's what makes it worth $20 more.

First off, it's not just a box of Depron that's been cut. It starts with CNC cut foam wing cores and fuselage. These pieces are laminated with the SNAKESKIN that's pre-printed in the bright color schemes you see in the photos. The tailfeathers are the only depron on the plane and they sandwitch the snakeskin to add strength and create a hinge. Landing gear is standard and the plane comes with a top notch hardware. Assembly is as easy if not easier than any of the offerings out there.

Don't forget that it's also the most durable plane if this type.

Like I said, I cant speak for the other plane and I'm in no position to say one is better than the other, but I hope I was able to answer your question about the extra $$$$.

There is an old saying. "IT'S BETTER TO SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET ALOT MORE THAN TO SPEND A LITTLE LESS AND GET ALOT LESS".

I hope I was able to help...
Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I "built" my stiffy in less than a few hours.....

and it flies very nice....

and it is darn near indestructable....... EPP rocks... A'la Fly my Zagi straight in to the ground EPP....

K...fine...I did it with my stiffy too.... and off it went back in to the air..
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
iceyflyer
My Feedback: (4)

scott if you want my opinion (which i know meens nothing to you lol) fly your big yak in the gym but thats just how i think I was just thinkin you could fly in there especially before school after im done lifting for football because for 45 mins no body is in there and we are allowed to be in there so think about it and let me know.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

ORIGINAL: novabill

Scott,

I haven't flown the Airfoilz either, so I'm not going to say one is better than the other. I will answer your question about the Stiffy though and I think it's what makes it worth $20 more.

First off, it's not just a box of Depron that's been cut. It starts with CNC cut foam wing cores and fuselage. These pieces are laminated with the SNAKESKIN that's pre-printed in the bright color schemes you see in the photos. The tailfeathers are the only depron on the plane and they sandwitch the snakeskin to add strength and create a hinge. Landing gear is standard and the plane comes with a top notch hardware. Assembly is as easy if not easier than any of the offerings out there.

Just to clarify our plane starts with laser cutting the core EPS than is laminated by hand one at a time with the spars and than CNC router cut for a smooth finish, the wings are also laser cut and bent one at a time. Their is a lot of work that goes into producing 1 plane and $50,000 worth of machinery to do it. You can see more info here- http://airfoilz.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Furyflyer2

I know for myself weight is everything in a plane, and we worked hard to get the stiffest fuse and best wing, for those who are looking for high performing planes, therefore we don't consider our planes to be in the same class as a "foamy" in any way shape or form. I know for myself I fly to fly not to crash so having a indestructible plane is not what we are shooting for, so you decision on the plane to buy is really person preference. Our manufacturing process is very effeciant theirfore it allows us to pass the savig on to you.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: Furyflyer2

I know for myself weight is everything in a plane, and we worked hard to get the stiffest fuse and best wing, for those who are looking for high performing planes, therefore we don't consider our planes to be in the same class as a "foamy" in any way shape or form. I know for myself I fly to fly not to crash so having a indestructible plane is not what we are shooting for, so you decision on the plane to buy is really person preference. Our manufacturing process is very effeciant theirfore it allows us to pass the savig on to you.

Why not do like I suggested an just get both?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Furyflyer2

ORIGINAL: novabill

There is an old saying. "IT'S BETTER TO SPEND A LITTLE MORE AND GET ALOT MORE THAN TO SPEND A LITTLE LESS AND GET ALOT LESS".
I totally agree, that's why out plane comes with carbon fiber push rods, dubro hardware, landing gear, wheels, hinges, and has a 40" wing span to boot.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Furyflyer2

ORIGINAL: dhooks

Yeah get both and do a live fly off but don't crash the Airfoilz.... it's allergic to the ground.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
dhooks

ORIGINAL: dhooks

Yeah get both and do a live fly off but don't crash the Airfoilz.... it's allergic to the ground.

Man sorry to hear, I was afraid of that. Some of us mortals do contact the ground on occasion........
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Mudsurfer1234

lol allergic to the ground lol

I understand that more weight means stronger plane, but a lighter plane means it's not going to hit as hard. There is always a tradeoff. I'm really wanting to hear about flight performance more then anything. I can see they both have their design points, but I can see the Airfoilz plane is not just some cut depron in a box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.